GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can someone please post what their byte 4 and 17 in the brake module is (the hex)?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
What does all this mean?
The ABS module long coding includes LOTS of parameters, all things needed to for Braking/Stability Control/Traction Control/etc. Among other things it includes... vehicle type, front and rear brake size, left or right hand drive, steering ratio, rear suspension type, park and/or trailer assist, engine type, etc. It's even coded for the VIN and will drop it's coding if installed into different car. This is for safety, with it being responsible for all the aforementioned functions.

There's potential to (very) adversely affect how your car handles if you mess around with the wrong things in this coding. Additionally if the coding is too wrong (not just specifically for you car, but as a general matter) the ABS module won't even accept the coding.

This document, linked above, describes a lot of the coding... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V-OKyWGNWASIKmDf_YrTnT22BEh8ocQ1V1qpXOTBX84/edit?usp=sharing

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Had a look at that coding decipher sheet for the ABS module....I need to change my front disc size coding!...Some of it is correct, but quite a bit is off!

My coding is:- Coding:04FA8AA12425296E0380060941C82920512494C0608294F3F4205078C009

Therefore:-
04 = VW Golf Variant (AU)
FA = A
8A = Audi A3 8V (RHD)???
A1 = U
24 = 288mm (PR.1LM, 1ZE) (need to change this!)
25 = 5
29 = Seat Leon FR/Cupra???
6E = 2
03 = Audi A3 8V (DSG)???
80 = 9
06 = FWD (RoW)
09 = 9
41 = Golf R???
C8 = 5
29 = 272mm w/Multi-Link Rear Suspension (PR. 1KE/1KT/2EJ)
20 = Seat Leon (5F)???
51 =???
94 =???
C0 =???
60 =???
82 =???
94 =???
F3 = Will need to change this as the car now has 135kW & not the 103kW it had from the factory!
F4 =
20 =
50 =
78 =
C0 =
09 =

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Had a look at that coding decipher sheet for the ABS module....I need to change my front disc size coding!...Some of it is correct, but quite a bit is off!

My coding is:- Coding:04FA8AA12425296E0380060941C82920512494C0608294F3F4205078C009

Therefore:-
FA = A
8A = Audi A3 8V (RHD)???
A1 = U
25 = 5
29 = Seat Leon FR/Cupra???
6E = 2
03 = Audi A3 8V (DSG)???
80 = 9
06 = FWD (RoW)
09 = 9
41 = Golf R???
C8 = 5
20 = Seat Leon (5F)???
51 =???
94 =???
C0 =???
60 =???
82 =???
94 =???
F3 = Will need to change this as the car now has 135kW & not the 103kW it had from the factory!
F4 =
20 =
50 =
78 =
C0 =
09 =
I ask you about this previously in your 312 post and you were going to look into it. Finally figured out how from @DerHase on the 17 being a mirror etc. and how to do that with hex to binary etc. OBDEleven was giving me fits but figured out how to do it finally in the long coding...have to change both 4 and 17 at once for it to accept the coding change...set mine to 370 🤣

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I ask you about this previously in your 312 post and you were going to look into it. Finally figured out how from @DerHase on the 17 being a mirror etc. and how to do that with hex to binary etc. OBDEleven was giving me fits but figured out how to do it finally in the long coding...have to change both 4 and 17 at once for it to accept the coding change...set mine to 370 🤣

I remember you asking me...I had problems at the time with the controller throwing fits at me & I use VCDS!....I gave up......!!..I'll be seriously having a go in the next week!....

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I remember you asking me...I had problems at the time with the controller throwing fits at me & I use VCDS!....I gave up......!!..I'll be seriously having a go in the next week!....
312 will be byte 4 = 34 and byte 17 = 2C.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
312 will be byte 4 = 34 and byte 17 = 2C.

Can't remember if VCDS asks for security access codes for coding in the ABS module??...

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So far. I should have noted the year with the model. Byte 17 value for each in ( ). Atlas actually has 335s but here is shown at 340.

Capture.JPG

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok....let's continue the game....

Byte 23......what does everyone have? This is the power level of the car w/r to the XDS system.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ok....let's continue the game....

Byte 23......what does everyone have? This is the power level of the car w/r to the XDS system.

"F3"......Car was originally 103kW....now has over 133kW..... 🤭 .....will have to change setting!....Trouble is where else do we need to change?!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
"F3"......Car was originally 103kW....now has over 133kW..... 🤭 .....will have to change setting!....Trouble is where else do we need to change?!
Could change Byte 24, starting torque from your current "20" to "10" I guess. There's a "starting torque reduction" adaptation that may be impacted by the amount of torque the ABS thinks your car has, based on this byte. May be a complete non-issue if you don't do any hard launches.

And from your earlier post... the bold is mine. I separated after every 10 bytes to make it easier (for me, haha) to read. Worth noting that neither Bosch/VW don't publish what all these Bytes/bits mean. Somnus' spreadsheet is just deduced from auto-scans people have shared. I say "just" but it's soooo much more work than I could imagine doing. I spent (and am still spending) time going through scans for RGB light coding and it is awful work, haha. The mirror bytes are interesting, I guess it's just an easy way to make sure VW (or we) have confirmed the settings chosen in the original bytes. An en-coded checksum feature.

FA = A
8A = Audi A3 8V (RHD)??? My guess here is that Somnus just didn't have/come across a car like yours when building the spread sheet. Note that many cars use the same code here, 8A for Audi A3 8V (RHD) and 2019 Golf R-Line (RHD)... Golf Variant (RHD) should probably go in the sheet with 8A coding as well.
A1 = U
25 = 5
29 = Seat Leon FR/Cupra??? This one is interesting, although Golf Variant isn't anywhere on the list so Seat Leon FR/Cupra as good as any other choice I guess, although the FR seems more Golf hatch-ish.
6E = 2
03 = Audi A3 8V (DSG)??? The "Audi A3" callout is likely the same reason as in Byte 2, just didn't have the scans available. Both 6MT and DSG would be 01. The "3" in your 03 would be for green auto hold indicator in the dash... which I assume you have?
80 = 9

06 = FWD (RoW)
09 = 9
41 = Golf R??? Same as Byte 2, lots of cars with 41 in this Byte.
C8 = 5
20 = Seat Leon (5F)??? This is just the mirror of Byte 0
51 =??? Mirror of Byte 2
24 = 288mm (PR.1LM, 1ZE) (need to change this!) Mirror of Byte 4
94 =??? Mirror of Byte 6
C0 =??? Mirror of Byte 8
60 =??? Mirror of Byte 10

82 =??? Mirror of Byte 12
94 =??? Mirror of Byte 14
F3 = Will need to change this as the car now has 135kW & not the 103kW it had from the factory! You could go F7 for 135kw
F4 = Front ACC, Front Assist, Trailer Assist, PLA 3.0 (typically see this with 12 sensors, but PLA 3 works much faster than PLA 2 so that should apply with 8 sensors as well, possibly better with trailer assist as well)
20 = Starting Torque for 1.0/1.2/1.4/1.6 Gassers, if your car now makes 2.0L gasser power you could change this to 10 I suppose
50 = Bi-directional wheel speed sensors left and right, with multi-link suspension. Cars with parking ACC and/or parking aid will have bi-directional sensors.
78 = TPMS with Radio, radio in this case being infotainment based on PR code. Maybe determines how the ABS sends tire pressure faults/info over the can bus.
C0 = ESC Button and TPMS button (in this case meaning button function is duplicated via infotainment). I have Bit 1 enabled here, so my coding is C2. EPB engages if I unbuckle while stopped. I might try some other variations to see what is possible.
09 = Determines what the ESC button does for single press and long hold... in your case ASR (traction control) off on single press, ESC Sport mode with long press

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks & yes a lot of the Audi stuff could be that the person hasn't seen many Euro variants! Bold my comments!

FA = A
8A = Audi A3 8V (RHD)??? My guess here is that Somnus just didn't have/come across a car like yours when building the spread sheet. Note that many cars use the same code here, 8A for Audi A3 8V (RHD) and 2019 Golf R-Line (RHD)... Golf Variant (RHD) should probably go in the sheet with 8A coding as well.
A1 = U
25 = 5
29 = Seat Leon FR/Cupra??? This one is interesting, although Golf Variant isn't anywhere on the list so Seat Leon FR/Cupra as good as any other choice I guess, although the FR seems more Golf hatch-ish. They do an FR estate, what you could call a Golf GTI estate, just the Seats have much cheaper interior trim fabrics & plastics...
6E = 2
03 = Audi A3 8V (DSG)??? The "Audi A3" callout is likely the same reason as in Byte 2, just didn't have the scans available. Both 6MT and DSG would be 01. The "3" in your 03 would be for green auto hold indicator in the dash... which I assume you have? Yes I have auto hold button as well as the electric parking brake button..
80 = 9

06 = FWD (RoW)
09 = 9
41 = Golf R??? Same as Byte 2, lots of cars with 41 in this Byte.
C8 = 5
20 = Seat Leon (5F)??? This is just the mirror of Byte 0
51 =??? Mirror of Byte 2
24 = 288mm (PR.1LM, 1ZE) (need to change this!) Mirror of Byte 4
94 =??? Mirror of Byte 6
C0 =??? Mirror of Byte 8
60 =??? Mirror of Byte 10

82 =??? Mirror of Byte 12
94 =??? Mirror of Byte 14
F3 = Will need to change this as the car now has 135kW & not the 103kW it had from the factory! You could go F7 for 135kw. This is what I was thinking of doing!
F4 = Front ACC, Front Assist, Trailer Assist, PLA 3.0 (typically see this with 12 sensors, but PLA 3 works much faster than PLA 2 so that should apply with 8 sensors as well, possibly better with trailer assist as well) I have front assist & ACC, & yes the 8 total sensors..
20 = Starting Torque for 1.0/1.2/1.4/1.6 Gassers, if your car now makes 2.0L gasser power you could change this to 10 I suppose. Again another one to change!!
50 = Bi-directional wheel speed sensors left and right, with multi-link suspension. Cars with parking ACC and/or parking aid will have bi-directional sensors. Agreed & correct
78 = TPMS with Radio, radio in this case being infotainment based on PR code. Maybe determines how the ABS sends tire pressure faults/info over the can bus.
C0 = ESC Button and TPMS button (in this case meaning button function is duplicated via infotainment). I have Bit 1 enabled here, so my coding is C2. EPB engages if I unbuckle while stopped. I might try some other variations to see what is possible. I think I set this when I retro-fitted the ESC & TPMS buttons, can't remember though!...
09 = Determines what the ESC button does for single press and long hold... in your case ASR (traction control) off on single press, ESC Sport mode with long press. That is what I set it too, as factory was different..

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The ABS module long coding includes LOTS of parameters, all things needed to for Braking/Stability Control/Traction Control/etc. Among other things it includes... vehicle type, front and rear brake size, left or right hand drive, steering ratio, rear suspension type, park and/or trailer assist, engine type, etc. It's even coded for the VIN and will drop it's coding if installed into different car. This is for safety, with it being responsible for all the aforementioned functions.

There's potential to (very) adversely affect how your car handles if you mess around with the wrong things in this coding. Additionally if the coding is too wrong (not just specifically for you car, but as a general matter) the ABS module won't even accept the coding.

This document, linked above, describes a lot of the coding... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V-OKyWGNWASIKmDf_YrTnT22BEh8ocQ1V1qpXOTBX84/edit?usp=sharing

A lot simpler in the "old" days. I had ABS on my 1991 Mazda MX-6 GT and it worked better on ice than my MK4 GTI.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It's very (in some cases too) complicated. I replaced my ABS module (retrofitted EPB) and spent 2 weeks trying to get the thing to accept long coding. Once I got some help out here on the internet I was able to get it sorted. There are some combinations of settings/coding that the module (correctly) refuses because they are invalid... but it doesn't tell you what part of the 29 Byte string is no good. Just a generic "request out of range" error.