GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can i cash a check that got chewed up and spit out with a chunk missing?

Chris@RT

Banned
Yes, you can hand-write a check, but it still needs to follow guidelines specified by NACHA and ACH, which includes the 9-digit routing and account numbers. Anything else ist just an IOU.

which that 9 digit routing number can be found from 1000s of places online, calling the issuing bank or just asking when you go to your bank.

The bank could manually enter that check in with you giving them the routing number hand you the check back and you swallow it.

The routing number just must be known it does NOT need to be on the physical check to be cashed.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
The bank can accept it without that information, but they can't put it into the ACH system without it, so they have to look that information up. If they don't include the full ABA routing number (and that even includes leaving off leading zeros) the bank gets hit with expensive fines for violating NACHA rules.
The routing number just must be known it does NOT need to be on the physical check to be cashed.
Correct, that's why I looked up the routing number and said give it to the bank and see if they'll cash the check.

Cis0003

Passed Driver's Ed
Most checks get presented in an electronic form for payment, and in order to do that you should be able to scan the item which you can't do with a missing routing strip.

Save yourself the time and hassle fighting with your bank, just request a replacement check. :thumbsup:

Chris@RT

Banned
Most checks get presented in an electronic form for payment, and in order to do that you should be able to scan the item which you can't do with a missing routing strip.

Save yourself the time and hassle fighting with your bank, just request a replacement check. :thumbsup:

If you are walking in and dealing directly with a teller they manually enter all that information in, once they hit enter its done they can burn that check, you can eat it or use it as toilet paper.

If he walks in with the number someone dug up above there won't be any issue.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Well, went to Bank of unAmerica, they did not take the check. So i called the rebate house, had them reissue the check. after 2 months, still no check, so i called and had them reissue it again. finally got the check.

btw, i got an XFX HD 4850 1GB for $20 AR and the check came today, luckily, only the bottom was damaged, so it doesn't affect the check itself.

Attachments

• xfx rebate block.jpg
    xfx rebate block.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 555

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
A deal is a deal.

$20 here, $20 there, could stack up to something decent :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with that. He bought something that said there was a rebate, and he just wants his savings!