GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BUSTED! - Plastic oil pan...

emanon

Ready to race!
I am not advocating painting SS, the whole concept of stainless steel pan welded up is flawed in my opinion. You could easily stamp or deep draw the pan out of low carbon steel, paint it and it would look 10 times better. You want it stronger, lot of different grades of plain steel available that will offer superior toughness to the 304 or 316 ss used here.
Some people will dig this welded up look I get it, I simply don’t.
Ever priced out what a custom stamping die cost to do a simple steel pan? And then getting a company interested in doing less than 1000 parts at a time?

They did the welded pan because they can make them 5 at a time and it doesn't cost $100k upfront.

The cast aluminum pan is nice but they could do away with all those silly flutes. And please, nobody call them "fins" bwcause they aren't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Is there enough of a difference between flutes and fins to matter to a mechanic? Pure shade tree mechanic theory: increased cooling and greater strength with that design I think more strength and less cooling than "fins" but in real world it don't matter.

I think they are both kinda sexy but doubt I would get one. I would (if anything) go for some type of skid pan/aero shield under the same shade tree theory of most thing I would hit would just need to be deflected.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Ever priced out what a custom stamping die cost to do a simple steel pan? And then getting a company interested in doing less than 1000 parts at a time?

They did the welded pan because they can make them 5 at a time and it doesn't cost $100k upfront.

The cast aluminum pan is nice but they could do away with all those silly flutes. And please, nobody call them "fins" bwcause they aren't.

I agree on the cost, the amount of pans they sell probably doesn't justify tooling cost, but at the same time the other guys are making it out of cast aluminium and price for casting mold or a pattern isn't trivial either.
This pan would look good on a classic muscle car, not so much on a GTI.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
As others have posted, a 2" drop is quite a bit. If you smack a rock at speed there is no pan, steel, aluminum or plastic that won't suffer. Too bad Diesel Geek does'nt make one for our cars. Robust aluminum, with great mounting setup. Had one on my Sportwagen and loved it.

I had a Panzer Plate on my MK5 and loved it as well.

The thing was nearly indestructible.

wave

Ready to race!
This ^

You don't paint stainless steel...or titanium, or in most cases aluminum. Would you buy AWE TBE and spray paint it black? No. Because it's 304L, TIG welded, and the heat discoloration is part of what makes it look so appealing. The even pattern and consistency of width of that discoloration tells how proper technique was perfectly executed on the welds. Like notice how there's heat marks on the bottom seemingly in the middle of nowhere? That's from the baffles on the inside. No cold booger welds, it was back purged and executed perfectly.

That's craftsmanship you see in aircraft parts, not hacked up unfinished junk

This ^ ;)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I agree on the cost, the amount of pans they sell probably doesn't justify tooling cost, but at the same time the other guys are making it out of cast aluminium and price for casting mold or a pattern isn't trivial either.

That's super subjective, but on a serious note who's gonna see it?

Renck

Ready to race!
That's super subjective, but on a serious note who's gonna see it?

This guy!

:p

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I would see it, and I would also possibly install it depending on who you are. I normally take on the custom modification's my indie shop does when it comes to VW / Audi. Oh.... I guess Domestic and Imports too.... but fuck that shit.

emanon

Ready to race!
Casting pattern is actually pretty inexpensive all things considered. Simple shell/core assembly. It's still a few grand, but it's 1/20 the cost of a machined tool steel stamping die.

And my point with the flutes/fins is they do not provide any additional cooling ovet a smooth wall. If it were a true fin it would, but those are not. Unnecessarily complex for nothing but looks and to fool people.

Fwiw i'd buy either the SS or aluminim pan and consider the problem fixed. If you hit something hard enough to break either one, you've probably fucked up lots of other expensive parts along the way.