GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake pad fitment help

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
I'm trying to figure out rear brake pad fitment for my 2017 Golf R. Do both of these part numbers match my vehicle? 5Q0698451N and 5Q0698451P

In favor of both parts having the SAME fitment: pages like here and here and here mention both numbers, which leads me to believe they're interchangeable, like a revision.

In favor of these parts having DIFFERENT fitment: 2017 Golf R is mentioned here (...P) but not here (...N). And Textar 2500801 lists 5Q0698451N while Textar 2500901 lists 5Q0698451P so there's something different enough that Textar has two products (both semi-metallic) but not different enough for Akebono and TRW to care about...

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm trying to figure out rear brake pad fitment for my 2017 Golf R. Do both of these part numbers match my vehicle? 5Q0698451N and 5Q0698451P

In favor of both parts having the SAME fitment: pages like here and here and here mention both numbers, which leads me to believe they're interchangeable, like a revision.

In favor of these parts having DIFFERENT fitment: 2017 Golf R is mentioned here (...P) but not here (...N). And Textar 2500801 lists 5Q0698451N while Textar 2500901 lists 5Q0698451P so there's something different enough that Textar has two products (both semi-metallic) but not different enough for Akebono and TRW to care about...

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
After going through countless product pages, it sure seems like P=T=A (Golf R, Atlas, etc), and N=B=C (e-Golf, Jetta, etc.) but then every so often I see a part listed as P=N (with a whole bunch of cars listed including Golf R)... ahhhhhhhh this is driving me nuts.

I'll cut to the chase: I just want a reasonably priced ceramic pad from FCP (lifetime guarantee). Leaning toward the Akebono EUR1761 but it feels like rolling the dice because it's listed as P=N so maybe it's for my car, maybe it's not. I really don't want to pull everything apart only to find that it doesn't fit.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
After going through countless product pages, it sure seems like P=T=A (Golf R, Atlas, etc), and N=B=C (e-Golf, Jetta, etc.) but then every so often I see a part listed as P=N (with a whole bunch of cars listed including Golf R)... ahhhhhhhh this is driving me nuts.

I'll cut to the chase: I just want a reasonably priced ceramic pad from FCP (lifetime guarantee). Leaning toward the Akebono EUR1761 but it feels like rolling the dice because it's listed as P=N so maybe it's for my car, maybe it's not. I really don't want to pull everything apart only to find that it doesn't fit.

What did FCP say when you contacted them?

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
What did FCP say when you contacted them?
Their first response was "Essentially, [Textar 2500801 5Q0698451N and Textar 2500901 5Q0698451P] are two different brake pad sets. They are both semi-metallic but most likely do not go for the same vehicle. If you look at the OE numbers under the description for both listings, you can see that they do not match up with one another."

I wasn't in love with that response, given that both of those product pages indicate fitment with 2017 Golf R. So I figured let me ask the forum, at which point I started this thread. Then I pushed FCP a bit more, asking how a product like EUR1761 could show those same two OE numbers if the different numbers mean different vehicles.

It got escalated to a more senior person who asked for my VIN and then got back to me with a conclusion entirely opposite to the first person: "It's a little convoluted, but long story short they all fit your vehicle. [...] Part number 5Q0698451P is the "correct" part number for your application, but any of the rear pads that we list as fitting the 310mm rear rotors will work. Even though the part numbers 5Q0698451N and 5Q0698451P appear to be the same, the last number is not a supersession but still cross-reference in certain situations."

Hopefully documenting it here will help somebody in the future who gets as confused as I did... lol

Reactions: krs

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Their first response was "Essentially, [Textar 2500801 5Q0698451N and Textar 2500901 5Q0698451P] are two different brake pad sets. They are both semi-metallic but most likely do not go for the same vehicle. If you look at the OE numbers under the description for both listings, you can see that they do not match up with one another."

I wasn't in love with that response, given that both of those product pages indicate fitment with 2017 Golf R. So I figured let me ask the forum, at which point I started this thread. Then I pushed FCP a bit more, asking how a product like EUR1761 could show those same two OE numbers if the different numbers mean different vehicles.

It got escalated to a more senior person who asked for my VIN and then got back to me with a conclusion entirely opposite to the first person: "It's a little convoluted, but long story short they all fit your vehicle. [...] Part number 5Q0698451P is the "correct" part number for your application, but any of the rear pads that we list as fitting the 310mm rear rotors will work. Even though the part numbers 5Q0698451N and 5Q0698451P appear to be the same, the last number is not a supersession but still cross-reference in certain situations."

Hopefully documenting it here will help somebody in the future who gets as confused as I did... lol

If anything maybe that could influence clarification on their parts listing.

Good info.