GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake cooling ducts: Any interest?

Would you be interested in APR Brake Cooling Ducts?

• Yes

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Please bring this to life again... 😊

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Yes.. The absolutely can be broken. My first set cracked, as did my friend's. So yes yes. Especially since it's a lot of money for a cheap piece of plastic.
Ok, well, whatever makes you sleep better at night. Personally, I wouldn't get them at all because I don't think they make that much of a difference.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Ok, well, whatever makes you sleep better at night. Personally, I wouldn't get them at all because I don't think they make that much of a difference.

So about that. I did a mountain run with GTIs and R in my heavy ass Alltrack one weekend and got brake fade bad after 1 run. Keep in mind I'm on OEM rotors and EBC red pads. I threw on a new set of ducts and did not get fade the following weekend. Super not scientific, but I think there maybe something to it. If you have an upgraded brake setup, it may not do anything helpful.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
On track, these cars need brake cooling. Especially with stock PP brakes.
With 4-piston BBKs brake cooling will extend pad life. I use track spec pads for my HPDEs. Mountain runs are tricky and have faded my fast street/light track duty pads. Brake cooling will help prevent this.

Brake cooling is a gap in the performance market for our cars.
If you are tuned, increased speed will tax the braking system exponentially. E=mv2
Im expecting to gain 8-10mph down the straights at VIR and my brakes will take a beating as a result. Ideally a proper brake cooling duct fed by a flex hose or a well designed air deflector system similar to the RS3 deflector.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
The German kit wouldn't need the TCR fog light replacement pieces, from what I can see and the outlet of those would be tricky to properly attach a brake duct hose.
Yeah, I guess my message was intended to be 2 independent thoughts, I just didn't separate them in any way! The German kit seems pretty interesting since it comes with backing plates. The TCR ducts are just interesting to me as I did not know they existed.