GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boosting on a Budget- 19birel's MK7.5 Build

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
@19birel I fully expect some good logs from you on track 😅 Would be great to have some more from another car with a FMIC for reference.
Haha I can certainly do that! Speaking of the track, I actually just signed up for an event on Friday!

Car stuff hasn't been at the forefront of my mind lately so it wasn't until Monday that I realized the upcoming September track time with AutoInterests at PittRace was actually this weekend. Sunday was already filled, so I switched my day off during the week and got signed up for Friday. Last night was spent prepping the car after work, gotta love wrenching in the driveway in the dark haha

Flushed the old Motul replacing it with some Endless RF650

Also checked the rear brakes, the pads are still good for at least this event- good thing because when I went to grab the new ones I bought a while ago to compare thickness they were MIA lol.

I also went out to get a data log with the fmic to adjust the tune to get rid of the EPC light that I thought I fixed but didn't. Interestingly it didn't return this time, IATs are wayyyy down and the car feels stronger, will have to get the Dragy on it soon. It would also come on during a long pull on the top end of 4th, by which point the thing would be so heatsoaked it would be cutting power so I'm guessing the intercooler fixed that. Still going to review the logs though and a couple more conservative lower boost maps, as the story could change after a few laps flat out.

Suspension obviously isn't in (bummer) but lots of changes still for this event, as a recap, EBC Bluestuff front pads (vs yellows I had before), Endless RF650 (replacing Motul RBF 600), tune (I had the JB4 last time and it was turned off), and twintercooler. Also excited to try the rennline pedal w/extension on track as well.

Last edited:

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Next time you pop an EPC light, use ST "Utilities" to pull DTCs and share what it is. On mine I think I was hitting some weird torque vs airflow error limit in strange transient stuff. You'll also want to take a close look at your wastegate base vs final.
I'll dig through my phone and see if I can find the picture I took of the DTCs, I can't remember the code but it said underboost fault. MAP SP was higher than PUT SP or some reason, MAP & PUT actual were matching the requested PUT though.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
So today's track day at Pitt Race was a blast! Random pic below of the car covered in track rubber as I picked up some nooners on the way home because I forgot to take a single pic at the track lol Shaved ~5secs off my PB from last time, down from a mid 2:18 to a 2:13.6, might have gone faster but the Dragy died early on so I didn't have lap timing after that.

So how were the new mods?

Power: Fun as one could expect, I started getting higher oil temps as the day wore on so I switched from my 27psi map to my 24psi map and it was fine and the but dyno didn't know the difference. Couple minor hiccups but nothing major

Brakes: EBC Blues were a big improvement, they held up wayy better than the yellows and were good enough that I had some level of confidence in them unlike before. Pedal feel with the Endless fluid was consistent as well. That said, their limits were still very much evident and I think a bbk is definetly in the cards at some point but for now I'd say the brakes are fit for HPDE.

Rennline Pedal w/Extension: This was the missing piece to the pedal puzzle, no trouble with consistently nailing my rev matches on downshifts.

The less than great?

The tyres: (as I have known since the start) really aren't up to it. I felt like I hit their wall today, they might have one more day left in them but I can't say I care to run them again. As the track got hotter their window of working before they got greasy became increasingly narrow as well.

Dragy: the battery was fully charged and it died after maybe 3 sessions, I just need to get an Aim Solo and call it a day

I told myself this would be my last HPDE of the year, but naturally after this outing I want more. Not sure I can be bothered without swapping rubber so we'll see if that happens; I suspect it might.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Upgrade the dragy battery with a nintendo switch controller battery from amazon with higher mah
I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion!
@19birel you just need GOOD pads. That means not EBC :p

So maybe see you at VIR in December? ;)
I know I know, $500 for pads just makes my head spin. This also seems like a great excuse to buy a spicy looking bbk haha

Assuming it fits with my work schedule I'd love to make it out! Now that I'm comfortable in the car I'd like to go back on some good tyres and see what I can do!

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion!

I know I know, $500 for pads just makes my head spin. This also seems like a great excuse to buy a spicy looking bbk haha

Assuming it fits with my work schedule I'd love to make it out! Now that I'm comfortable in the car I'd like to go back on some good tyres and see what I can do!
You don't need to buy Ferodos, plenty of cheaper options. Tho in general, you do get what you pay for in pad life.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
G-Loc R12s and R10s is what I'd probably recommend giving a shot as that is what a lot of people seem to like. I will probably try an R12/R12 combo myself as I've *heard* from a couple ABS engineers that keeping an identical compound front and back is usually the best place to start, but many people run the R12/10 combo and like it.

The R12 temp range is 173-1860F
R10 is 118-1475F
So not a HUGE difference in cold operating temps.

For reference my last time out (with the DS3.12/1.11 combo):
Front rotors were somewhere between 1472-1670F
Rear rotors were somewhere between 679-804F

That front rotor temp is about 200F short of "exceeding" an R12 compound. I'd start there and then if it's insufficient step up to the R16 (which is good to 2000F) up front. R10 and R12 out back probably need tested with to know for sure which you like better. I've heard the R10 compound lasts longer when not near it's temp limits, which in the rear they definitely wouldn't be.

I used G-Loc pads on my Mazda2 and they really feel phenomenal on track. Squeal like the dickens, and if you let the dust dry on your wheels, and get wet with rain, etc and don't clean almost immediately they will permanently stain them. You'll want to get a compatible street compound to swap back and forth from (just like the Ferodos I run). My gripe was how quickly I'd burn through them. I'd get like 4 days at NCCAR which is NOT hard on brakes at all in the 97whp 2200lb Mazda2. Granted the fronts did all the work (drums out back), but that was still pretty bad.

I might give them another chance for next year though since the GTI has turned into far more of a track toy than anything.

While I can't officially recommend this because G-Loc says not to: On my Mazda2 I swapped back and forth between R10s and R12s (I tried both) for track and Hawk HPS 5.0 pads for street use. Never experienced any weird compound incompatibility or pad transfer layer issues. I did usually drive a couple days on the track pads before swapping back, as driving around on "cold" pads will eat the rotors like a lathe and essentially clean them up before putting the street pads back on. Still a risk of transfer layers not liking each other, but take that info FWIW. Otherwise you can get the GS-1 street compound from G-Loc which should be safe (but I have zero experience with).

Last edited:

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
G-Loc R12s and R10s is what I'd probably recommend giving a shot as that is what a lot of people seem to like. I will probably try an R12/R12 combo myself as I've *heard* from a couple ABS engineers that keeping an identical compound front and back is usually the best place to start, but many people run the R12/10 combo and like it. [...]
Great info there! I'll definetly look into the G-Locs, though the staining of the wheels admittedly scares me a little. I ceramic coated them though so hopefully that would give me some protection along with diligent cleaning.

Sidebar: I forgot to mention but I can happily report zero oil consumption from this outing! This is also the same oil I ran last event, so 2 tracks days and ~3,400miles on it with zero top offs (will be changed this week). PCV appears to be doing it's job so that will be left alone unless that changes.

I also think I'm going to send an oil sample to blackstone for analysis as well just to make sure the oil is holding up as well as it should be. I have been doing really short intervals and use good oil, but I want to confirm I'm on the right track and make any changes needed while the engine is still relatively low mileage and fresh so it stays healthy long term.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Great info there! I'll definetly look into the G-Locs, though the staining of the wheels admittedly scares me a little. I ceramic coated them though so hopefully that would give me some protection along with diligent cleaning.

Sidebar: I forgot to mention but I can happily report zero oil consumption from this outing! This is also the same oil I ran last event, so 2 tracks days and ~3,400miles on it with zero top offs (will be changed this week). PCV appears to be doing it's job so that will be left alone unless that changes.

I also think I'm going to send an oil sample to blackstone for analysis as well just to make sure the oil is holding up as well as it should be. I have been doing really short intervals and use good oil, but I want to confirm I'm on the right track and make any changes needed while the engine is still relatively low mileage and fresh so it stays healthy long term.
On dark wheels they're not bad at all. Might want to PPF or coat the front of your doors tho, will be nasty on white.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
FINALLY, I installed the suspension bits that have been on my garage floor for the past few months 😅 The setup is Eibach Pro Springs & Koni Special Active dampers (both MK8 spec, what difference that makes idk) 034 Motorsport Camster (camber & caster adjusted) plates, and ECS Tuning rear strut mounts.

Excuse the garbage pictures, but I'm pretty stoked with the result so far. The height is just about perfect, sure lower would look cool, but any more than this and it probably wouldn't be conducive to hard driving. Took the car for a quick spin last night and it rides pretty well, the springs are definitely stiffer but the damping feels more advanced so overall comfort is arguably slightly better. The initial harshness felt with the stock suspension when hitting a road imperfection has been softened dramatically. The 034 plates are said to make noise, mine seem to as well, but it's not bad and only really noticeable at very low speeds (like pulling into the driveway) with the radio off. Turn-in feels very sharp, likely on account of the caster, but I'll reserve my comments on handling until I get an alignment and take it for a jaunt on my favorite roads

Also, I removed my mudflaps, dirt get trapped between them and the paintwork and I have a feeling that it would do a little damage over time and I prefer the look without them.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Love to see the chunks of rubber still on your car from last Friday! Haven't washed mine off yet either :giggle:. I'd love to find a time to go for a ride, or swap cars for a drive, to see how the SAs compare to my Sports.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Love to see the chunks of rubber still on your car from last Friday! Haven't washed mine off yet either :giggle:. I'd love to find a time to go for a ride, or swap cars for a drive, to see how the SAs compare to my Sports.
Yeah she's still wearing all her track dirt! Can't really tell in the pics but you can still see the outline of where the numbers were too haha

And I'd be down to swap keys to compare sometime! I'd be intrigued to see how the setups differ!