• Start date
D

Deleted member 137012

Anyone here running a BOV on a 1.8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
Most people are not.

I had one of those DV spacers for a hot minute, found it to be annoying after a while. VW uses the factory diverter to bleed off boost as well so you would hear the noise even when not fully off throttle. Lost the factory spring during install/re-install so I bought a GFB DV+, offers a bit more noise than the OEM unit I think. Opening up the intake would produce the same sound.

Any particular reason you want one?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah the stock diverter valve is a very robust unit, there really isn't any meaningful reason to replace it with an aftermarket solution. If noise is what you're after I would recommend a spacer, but keep in mind if you're running a manual it can get a little excessive when it comes to noise.

For what it's worth I know Mrc isn't alone in his opinion, Melted Solid who also drives a 5-spd wound up taking his unit back to stock because he couldn't stand the nonstop noise either.

However since the automatic is better able to keep boost through gear changes I literally don't hear my spacer unless I lift-off under boost. Personally this is perfect for me, I get no blow off whatsoever while putzing around but whenever monkey brain kicks in I can make it sound like a rally car.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
at 10% throttle:

1st gear vroooooom PPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!! 2nd gear vroooooooooom PPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! 3rd gear vrooooooooooooooom PPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!.

Passenger: "Is your car steam powered?"

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
D

Deleted member 137012

Yeah guys I ordered a CTS BOV for the sound! I want to have a bit of fun with the car, I don’t have an intake. No MAF, no risk of hurting the car?

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
So, how are GFB DV+?

It's not the noise, just I figure I have one for my A4, and getting a IS20. I don't mind if it's overkill, I'd prefer that, and I know I won't get the "Pshh!", just would it be detrimental with how good stock is

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Strange this was posted. We get at least one email a day with guys that want Pshhhhh pshhhh so we developed a spacer for this that will be cheapest on the market and should be out in the next three weeks.

D

Deleted member 137012

Strange this was posted. We get at least one email a day with guys that want Pshhhhh pshhhh so we developed a spacer for this that will be cheapest on the market and should be out in the next three weeks.

So much confusion with the BOV, Paul from shop dap said it’s fine but forum scientists say it’s bad

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
So much confusion with the BOV, Paul from shop dap said it’s fine but forum scientists say it’s bad

Part of the issue is all previous generations used a MAF sensor. Now we don’t have one so venting to atmosphere isn’t a big deal.

Problem now is how active the venting is, it can be very annoying. I suggest a spacer and use the stock DV as it’s cheaper option.

D

Deleted member 137012

Part of the issue is all previous generations used a MAF sensor. Now we don’t have one so venting to atmosphere isn’t a big deal.

Problem now is how active the venting is, it can be very annoying. I suggest a spacer and use the stock DV as it’s cheaper option.

How annoying is it on an auto? I want cool sounds (I’m 20) but it is so nagging that I’ll take it off eventually?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
How annoying is it on an auto? I want cool sounds (I’m 20) but it is so nagging that I’ll take it off eventually?

You'll be totally fine on an auto, it's really on the manual transmissions that it becomes unbearable.

D

Deleted member 137012

You'll be totally fine on an auto, it's really on the manual transmissions that it becomes unbearable.

Cool man, I see horror stories about people getting oil in their engine bay and that kinda shit lol. I’ll throw it on once I get it

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

Oohh. Well for what it's worth, my spacer was super open with giant holes on all sides, which I think contributed to the excessive noise. Sparky's has a much smaller hole and it makes a rally-BOV-whistle style noise when it activates, which I like much better.