GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blow by on acceleration?

RoyB2

Ready to race!
Today I noticed a little, what I would call, blow by on medium acceleration. About 48 degrees out, about 4 miles from my home so my car should had been warmed up already. I got on the gas to beat traffic on a right turn and noticed a haze behind me. It was more black than white in nature. I tested again part throttle up to 60 and noticed it again. It seemed to go away after a couple more tries and car obviously warmed up more.

Should I be worried? Never noticed this before. I have been driving "pretty easy" for the last couple hundred miles, maybe just carbon burning off from lack of WOT runs? About 2200 miles on the car. I have been driving pretty easy last couple tanks to see how mpgs can be if driven good.

GGray

Ready to race!
Ahh no way it was warmed up after 4 miles of driving... Maybe on the buffered dash gauge but in real engine temp it was not...

If you do not run a car hard basically daily you end up with that kind of smoke basically you just cleaned all the carbon out of it...By not running it up to the redline at least now and then you are doing the car more harm than good...

I use to see people bring cars to autocrosses who NEVER ran them hard puffed clouds of smoke then by the end of the day the car was running clean....

Turbo V

Ready to race!
Ahh no way it was warmed up after 4 miles of driving... Maybe on the buffered dash gauge but in real engine temp it was not...

If you do not run a car hard basically daily you end up with that kind of smoke basically you just cleaned all the carbon out of it...By not running it up to the redline at least now and then you are doing the car more harm than good...

I use to see people bring cars to autocrosses who NEVER ran them hard puffed clouds of smoke then by the end of the day the car was running clean....

Either this or your piston seals did not seal properly.

RoyB2

Ready to race!
I do drive it hard on occasion. When I have a lot of highway driving or stop and go, I don't really get a chance to run it to red line as much. This is the first time I noticed it.

RoyB2

Ready to race!
I tried the same exact scenario yesterday. A small amount of smoke the first time (same corner, 4 miles from home). Then that was it.

This morning I did it again. Nothing that I noticed. Temp today was 66 degrees. Been "cleaning the carbon" on my way home the last couple days :)

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
48* in June? I want to be where you live!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nyanga

Ready to race!
The car needs to be driven at about 2,000 revs till the oil temp gets to 90 degrees, the minimum operating temperature.

Then some red-lining and you are go.

GGray is right; the car is not warmed up after only 4 miles.

BlackMK7R

I beat the crap out of my car since day one, in lots of temps, never any blow by.

My car often heats up to 190 on the gauge within 5-7ths (maybe outside temp dependant) of a mile of VERY chill driving. It has not seen outside temps lower than 50 degrees though. I literally watch the temp needle climb, and pretty quickly.

JSoler

Ready to race!
I beat the crap out of my car since day one, in lots of temps, never any blow by.

My car often heats up to 190 on the gauge within 5-7ths (maybe outside temp dependant) of a mile of VERY chill driving. It has not seen outside temps lower than 50 degrees though. I literally watch the temp needle climb, and pretty quickly.
We are talking about oil temp in the MFD not the coolant gauge.... The coolant gauge is coolant... Not oil

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Nyanga

Ready to race!
Coolant goes up to 90 Celsius quickly and stays there all the time.

The minimum operating temp for both oil and coolant is 90 Celsius.