GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Black Forest Industries Staged Clutch kits

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
I wouldn't say people are blowing them left and right. That's a gross misrepresentation. We've sold close to a thousand clutch kits, and have had many repeat customers. Does that mean there haven't been any issues? No. But, we've warrantied clutches when they called for it.

The issue is clutches are a wear item, and depending on how you use it, they can wear faster. It's not like a downpipe where it won't see many variables in its usage. For example, my stock GTI's clutch was slipping at 12k miles. People have these issues everyday as seen on the forum. When you order a clutch and you throw in big power, and are launching your car every weekend at the track, your clutch life will be reduced than say driving on a highway everyday.

We've seen people get 50k+ miles out of our clutch, and some 10k miles. There's always stories were people leave the dealership with a new car, and blow the clutch in hours. Like I mentioned, it depends on usage. Last week, I sold a Stage 3 kit to a customer with a MK6 Golf R after our first clutch lasted him 50k miles. He loved it, and wanted another one. Had nothing to say but great things. Same with a customer whose clutch lasted him 20k, but he dragged raced every weekend and was very happy with the holding power.

Generally speaking, you will hear more negative about a product than good things. If you search, you will see negatives about every major clutch manufacturer.

‘Twas just a little banter. I am a huge fan of your products but early on, on here at least, there were very many negative reviews and reported issues with your clutches. Was not attempting to slander/degrade by any means but I can certainly see how it would’ve been taken that way. I’m a big believer that a clutch will only last as long as the driver allows (driver’s style) and dependent on the install obviously. As you said though, you generally only hear about the negatives and hardly ever the positives. Reviews on forums should generally be taken with a grain of salt.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
The other issue is this person nonegiven /universal_remonster likes to post the one thread as it’s Biblical for one instance in which the customer had install and driver error causing an issue with their clutch. We also have a full refund out of the kindness of our hearths and yet we’re seen as the bad guys here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
To me it's like any review. Compare the reviews and make a decision based on more than one review. No company has a spotless record.

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
To me it's like any review. Compare the reviews and make a decision based on more than one review. No company has a spotless record.

Exactly, and we appreciate any feedback given to us; as this helps us grow as a company. The issue is one instance can hurt a company's reputation tremendously even if that company did their best to help out the customer. Sometimes things don't work out for either party, and that shouldn't be the see-all-say-all for a company's product or reputation.

RecycledDonuts

Ready to race!
So, I ordered the Stg 3 kit. Will this be sufficient for Eurodyne stg 2 high torque?

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Heads up, I've been running a BFI stage 3 clutch for over 20k miles, has held up great! A stiff pedal at first, but it calms down. I recommend Motul transmission fluid and a fluidampr to minimize chatter/vibration.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Also wanted to throw in here that I have been running a BFI stage 3 daily for thousands of miles now. It has handled everything from a JB4 to a FBO hybrid setup. Little chatter with AC on, but it's been a dream to drive on the street and track.

Edit 10/20/20-

My clutch pedal had been feeling rough and inconsistent for some time, then recently the clutch began to slip. This was after 16,000 miles at stage 2 power levels, then 9,000 miles at 419 Whp & 399 Ft-Lbs.

Today, I did a few 3rd and 4th gear pulls and the disc all but gave out. I was driving home in 3rd with constant slip. The car is undriveable until I get a new clutch in.

I was definitely expecting the clutch to last longer than it did, especially when I was under the rated torque levels for its entire life. Not sure If I would recommend this setup anymore for anything over stage 2.

Last edited:

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
A recent review from one of customers:

Not that anyone will read this but if you’re thinking about this set up for you TSI, I have the stage 2 kit in my car and I really couldn’t want much more out of it, it’s firm but not hard like a brick, definitely geared towards street applications, engagement feels good, there is a bit of a dead spot at the very top of the pedal which can be adjusted out if it bothers you and the flywheel chatters a bit but I changed out the crank pulley with the fluid dampr pulley and it quited down a lot, I was hesitant at first to buy from Black Forrest because I’ve just always used Southbend for my clutches but after a year with this kit in the car I’m very happy with it.

---

If anyone needs help decided which stage clutch is best for them, please don't hesitate to contact us via PM here or email us sales@blackforestindustries.com