Birthday Purchase E85 fuel system

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Upgrading turbo I assume?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
And more importantly, who is your tuner and what are your plans there?

wordsthatiwrote

Ready to race!
The turbo will be upgraded as well at some point.
Hoping to just get away with the fuel system for now so I can run E.

The tuning question is still in the air.
I will start looking Monday the 1st.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG

So are you going to install MPI on a GTI with an stock IS20, but you don't have a tuner picked out? None of that you bought works without a custom tune.

Also 99% sure you can run a very high e% on the stock GTI fuel system with the stock turbo if that's your goal. With proper tuning of course.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So are you going to install MPI on a GTI with an stock IS20, but you don't have a tuner picked out? None of that you bought works without a custom tune.

Also 99% sure you can run a very high e% on the stock GTI fuel system with the stock turbo if that's your goal. With proper tuning of course.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

You're correct. I have a friend who is running ethanol with the stock IS20 and fuel system with a 5150 tune that produces 340 HP and 390 torque on a dyno.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion

I would just put that money towards maestro or cobb. I think Cobb's mpi is coming out soon but a lot of tuners are pulling outta this platform. Get that right first and think about bigger turbo to take advantage of that. By then you'll need a torquebyte controller and so on

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon

Uh, why'd ya get all the fueling stuff that you can't use without a tune? Are you planning to run straight E85? I'd start with a Maestro or Cobb and a solid tune to run E30. Then, if you go BT, consider bumping up the fuel side and retune. You're kinda doing this backwards. Surprised MAP didn't advise you about this.

wordsthatiwrote

Ready to race!
My current setup:
Cobb AP
MAPerfomance Catless Downpipe
Unitronic intercooler
Cobb catback
AEM intake
Forge BOV

As my signature states. I am not an expert.
However, I do know that ethanol eats up certain rubbers and i dont believe the stock fuel system is capable of reliably handling E85 for extended periods.

It was a toss up between the fueling and an is38.
I chose the fueling.

Best of Luck to me.

And thank you for the birthday wishes.

Its Tuesday. Going to go downtown and get some ramen. Thats about it. :)

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
...I think Cobb's mpi is coming out soon but a lot of tuners are pulling outta this platform.

Any insight as to why tuners are moving off Cobb?
Edit...realizing you may be referring to MPI?

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Any insight as to why tuners are moving off Cobb?
Edit...realizing you may be referring to MPI?

It's more of the platform as a whole. I'm not entirely sure for the reasons but it sounds like theres a lot of inconsistencies between these ecus making it a challenge and tuners dont wanna be responsible for it. At least for me I can only use maestro but cobb guys will have more options once mpi is fully released

wordsthatiwrote

Ready to race!
The installation of the CTS fuel pump was NOT a simple job.
The instructions appear to be for a different basket.

They have you CUT and DRILL out parts of the basket which about gave me a few heart attacks in the process. Some of the steps they want you to perform in the instructions they have already completed. IE; shortening the plastic nipple on the pump itself and installing the o-ring. They supplied 3 bolts, 3 spacers, and 3 nuts. I only ended up using 2 of the 3 sets as the shorter bolt did not clear the mount hole. I ended up just completely removing the mount point from the basket all together.

The car started but the fuel gauge no longer functions. So I am siphoning out the fuel tank and pulling the pump to see whats going on there. I was getting a code that the voltage was low on the gauge. So i don't know if i just didn't get contact for the thin red wire (i assume this is for the fuel level sensor), messed up the float, or possibly inserted the basket in to the tank incorrectly such that the float was unable to move?

The pump itself is physically larger but I am not certain its performing any better.
In fact it may be worse as I am now getting fuel pressure codes. However, i did notice that knock retard has pretty much ceased when compared to running 93 octane and the old fuel pump. (but this could also be related to me needing new plugs)

Will update again when I figure more out.

Thanks for reading and happy modifying

wordsthatiwrote

Ready to race!
I have also decided to go with Stratified tuning for an e-tune once i get the other parts installed.
I just want to iron out the issues I currently have.