GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bi-Xenons adjusted wrong? Getting flashed by oncoming cars!

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
Tonight was the first night I drove my mk7. Since it has the Bi-Xenons, with the Auto high-beams, I tried it out. I turned my high beams on and when another car approached, they automatically turned off. But when that car got closer, they flashed me. I turned the auto feature off and I still got flashed. With or without fog lights didn't matter either.

Obviously they are set too high. How can I adjust them? Should I get the dealer to do the adjustment?

gogolf1

Ready to race!
In my car they were set to low and I have adjusted them by myself, it s very simple, you just need (quite long) screwdriver. So, when you lift the hood you will see two plastic screws on the back of the xenon unit. As far as I remember the one which is located deeper adjust height of the beam. Just park the car on a flat surface, in front of the wall and play with it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
In my car they were set to low and I have adjusted them by myself, it s very simple, you just need (quite long) screwdriver. So, when you lift the hood you will see two plastic screws on the back of the xenon unit. As far as I remember the one which is located deeper adjust height of the beam. Just park the car on a flat surface, in front of the wall and play with it.

You have HID's, right? Can't do that with HID's or you'll break them - they have electric motors for adjustment and you need a VCDS to shut down the motors first, if they're the same as MKV's.

pcr

Ready to race!
HIDs are adjusted the same as any other headlight by adjusting the level, the auto self levelling then maintains that set level as the car attitude changes.

FormerRocco

Passed Driver's Ed
It might be the way I have read the original post, or a difference in location, but I take the Auto lights to be switching on dipped beam at dusk/in tunnels, not a function to stop dazzling oncoming traffic? Do you have or mean High Beam Assist?

spelk3

Ready to race!
Car(s)
‘17 BMW xDrive35i
I get flashed because the DRL's share the high beams and stay on when the lights are turned on, so the on coming traffic sees four headlights rather than two and thinks high beams are on.

Last edited:

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
Let the dealer do the adjustment but make sure they don't set them too low.

The dealer did do the adjustment (for $40!!). And they set them way too low. So I got under the hood and found the plastic screws. I did the rest of the adjustment myself. Waste of $40.