GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI Stage 3 issues

The issue I have with the clutch is from not properly engaging/disengaging. I am familiar with aggressive clutches and competition clutch. This is my third competition clutch and fifth aggressive clutch. I also will be stepping up to an exedy three disk for my evo

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
What happened to BFI in this thread? Did they ever issue a full refund for their defective clutch and the labor to install and remove?

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
HS tuning RSR is a stock clutch. I'm sorry a few of you have had issues but in defense of BFI consider these two things: 1) BFI and HS Tuning are both very small shops (I've personally been to both and Neither manufacturer anything...simply retail parts and BFI outsources some machine shop work (motor mounts/shift knobs/etc). HS doesn't even do that. Just sell OEM and APR branded parts.
2) because neither manufacturers the clutch kits they sell you're not dealing with them per say, they're the middle man. BFI clutch kits are made by Competition Clutch (big company, look them up) and HS's "RSR" is Audi TT parts
I was wondering who really made their clutches...good to know for future references.

GTIManEG

Ready to race!
First off no need to get all shitty with me. Nobody likes a internet tough guy. I never said you should spend $1000 on something that doesn't work, but nobody has any evidence of what caused the problem anyway.

Second, why is there a list of parts on this site to piece together a diy RSR KIT ON THIS SITE then?
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18913
You paid almost double for someone to pick out OEM parts for you if you have an RSR. If you understand how a clutch works or how they're made you'd know they didn't "swap internals". Nobody is cutting up Audi TT OEM pressure plates lol

I don't give a shit if the RSR is rated for 100,000ft lbs it's not holding more than a ceramic disk (they can over or under rate whatever they want). I've changed plenty of clutches personally to know what holds and what doesn't. My personal truck makes enough power that under certain situations it'll slip my 600hp/1000ft lbs rated ceramic clutch and this is my second one with that rating. The first one ripped all of the friction material off one side of the plate after 60,000 miles or so. Gotta pay to play and know what your working with.

Not a tough guy. plz don't hit me.

I have 2k miles on the kit and have sat in bumper to bumper traffic for about 1k of it (not at once) not once had the problem recurred. More to say about the Comp Clutch kit that was getting worse by the week.

In the end don't care about the price of the kit, If you build the kit, then you have no Warranty, I do.

It's working flawlessly and it has no gear chatter. Win Win

You have a truck! That's cool. lol just playing.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Okay so I just replaced the G336 sensor on the side of the intake manifold and it seems most of my more severe drivability issues (jerkiness, car lurching when shifting gears) are gone. Big thanks to GTIManEG. This is a relief as I was hoping that these issues weren't from the clutch. Car pulls harder and smoother than it ever has before. Really pleased with the way the car drives now.

There are still a couple issues however that I believe to be the clutch, and I'm going to explain how I replicate them.

Gear lever not coming out of 1st:

1. Clutch in, 1st gear engaged, start from a stop normally.
2. Accelerate to around 15-25 km/h
3. Lift off the throttle and immediately depress clutch. At this point, I would say more than 5/10 times the car will not come out of gear until the car slows back down to just barely rolling. The revs will also sort of hang for a bit. I also find that while the gear lever is stuck, if I blip the throttle for some reason this will set it free.

Car thinking it's in a different gear than the gear it's actually in. This is a weird one:

1. Accelerate normally
2. Depress clutch, put car in neutral while rolling. I usually notice this when coming to a stop
3. Rev engine while car is still rolling, car is in neutral. The indicator on the top right of the MFD which displays what gear I'm in will sporadically say 2, or 3, sometimes 2 then 3, sometimes 3>4 or 4>3 etc. I find it depends on what gear I was in before throwing it into neutral.

***edit: Solved!*** Real time fuel consumption indicator not going immediately to "0" when lifting off throttle. I feel this and the previous issue I've mentioned may be related

1. Accelerate normally
2. Lift off throttle, watch real time fuel consumption indicator. Usually, at this point, the vacuum created in the combustion chamber should start to slow the car down and he MFD should read 0L/100km, (or I believe 99.99mpg?), but instead it will hang around 3, 4, 5L/100km for a couple seconds, THEN go to zero. While this is happening, the car seems to be maintaining a sort of neutral throttle, that being a state where the car is neither accelerating nor decelerating.

These issues aren't a major pain in the ass for me, but I would like to see BFI chime in (or anybody that has a good understanding of how clutches work) and explain why I might be having these issues. I feel like they may point to the clutch, but I'm not really educated when it comes to how they really work.

Once again thanks GTIManEG, you saved me hundreds of dollars. :)

Last edited:

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I can comment on the fuel consumption issues. The ECU is designed to hang a bit to burn the fuel. I'll try to remember to check mine out (stock clutch) but I remember reading this was coded into the ecu

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I can comment on the fuel consumption issues. The ECU is designed to hang a bit to burn the fuel. I'll try to remember to check mine out (stock clutch) but I remember reading this was coded into the ecu

That does make sense, but shouldn't the car still kind of start to slow down? My car almost continues to be on the throttle but only slightly..

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I know this was mentioned by someone in another thread.. almost exactly so maybe it was you :D what RPM are you at out of curiosity? I might be mixing up my cars, but usually above a certain RPM (say 1500 since I might be mixing up my cars here) it will cut fuel entirely, but below that, staying in gear actually uses a bit of fuel.. probably just idles, but as a result may be slower to slow down since there is a small power stroke occuring.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
That does make sense, but shouldn't the car still kind of start to slow down? My car almost continues to be on the throttle but only slightly..

On my stock clutch and my SRE clutch, if i let off the throttle for almost a second or two I do not notice a change in anything. After that second or two, it starts to decelerate.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I know this was mentioned by someone in another thread.. almost exactly so maybe it was you :D what RPM are you at out of curiosity? I might be mixing up my cars, but usually above a certain RPM (say 1500 since I might be mixing up my cars here) it will cut fuel entirely, but below that, staying in gear actually uses a bit of fuel.. probably just idles, but as a result may be slower to slow down since there is a small power stroke occuring.

At all RPMs, as long as the car is in gear, no fuel at all is being used..The pistons are still moving of course because the transmission is still connected to the driveshaft, and as a result a vacuum is being created in the cylinders and it's what's causing the car to decelerate. At this point the car does not need fuel to stay running. Even below 1500 rpm..

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
On my stock clutch and my SRE clutch, if i let off the throttle for almost a second or two I do not notice a change in anything. After that second or two, it starts to decelerate.

Okay that's good to know. I've had issues for so long now that I forgot what is and isn't normal lol.

Problems have gotten considerably worse, called BFI. Moving towards a Refund at this point as I cannot wait for competition clutch to make more clutches plus the wait time from shipping. Sachs is here in Germany (zf) so I figure I can just drive to schweinfurt with my friend and pick it up.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Okay that's good to know. I've had issues for so long now that I forgot what is and isn't normal lol.

It doesn't happen as much at lower RPM's, but higher up it happens.

OP, sucks that you're having issues. I was going to get this kit at first, but then opted out because I've read a few cases similar to yours.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Problems have gotten considerably worse, called BFI. Moving towards a Refund at this point as I cannot wait for competition clutch to make more clutches plus the wait time from shipping. Sachs is here in Germany (zf) so I figure I can just drive to schweinfurt with my friend and pick it up.

Besides the 1st gear problem, what other major issues are you having?