GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI stage 1 Dogbone Insert

JAV3

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone running this or have a review on it? Been looking through the forms and even on YouTube can’t seem to find one every usually goes stage 2 which they’ve put a disclaimer saying there’s a lot of NVH that I rather not deal with just wanna avoid some slight wheel hop cars only stage 2 Unitronic I don’t track it ... yet at least

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I have the whole stage 1 set from BFI, and they were all installed at the same time, so I can't tell you how the insert *only* will feel.

Stage 1 is definitely good for daily driving. The only time vibrations are that noticeable is when I'm starting from a stop while going uphill (parallel parking and having to reverse uphill is the worst with vibrations).

Regardless of which company you go with, an insert or stiffer mounts will increase NVH by some degree, but it will be worst in the first few hundred miles after install, which is when it's breaking in.

If you haven't unplugged the soundaktor or turned it down/off via VCDS/OBDeleven yet, you may want to do that to compensate for any increase in NVH. I had to turn it all the way off because even the 20% soundaktor value I used to have made noise unbearable.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

JAV3

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the whole stage 1 set from BFI, and they were all installed at the same time, so I can't tell you how the insert *only* will feel.

Stage 1 is definitely good for daily driving. The only time vibrations are that noticeable is when I'm starting from a stop while going uphill (parallel parking and having to reverse uphill is the worst with vibrations).

Regardless of which company you go with, an insert or stiffer mounts will increase NVH by some degree, but it will be worst in the first few hundred miles after install, which is when it's breaking in.

If you haven't unplugged the soundaktor or turned it down/off via VCDS/OBDeleven yet, you may want to do that to compensate for any increase in NVH. I had to turn it all the way off because even the 20% soundaktor value I used to have made noise unbearable.

Thanks for the input Needsleep, I definitely need to turn off the soundacktor now that I have my downpipe installed cars been sounding very awkward it’s good to kno that it great for daily driving I might just get the whole BFI set up like you did I’ve had a bit of wheel hop since adding more power

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I have just the BFI stage 1 dogbone insert. I had the 034 lower insert before that (they didn't have the upper insert when I bought that originally).

The BFI rocks. Yes you will feel increased cabin vibrations at idle and in reverse (especially reverse). Otherwise though - the insert is great. In slow traffic when you're on and off the gas or driving fast/shifting hard - it's a great improvement over not having it. I would buy it again.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
I have just the BFI stage 1 dogbone insert. I had the 034 lower insert before that (they didn't have the upper insert when I bought that originally).

The BFI rocks. Yes you will feel increased cabin vibrations at idle and in reverse (especially reverse). Otherwise though - the insert is great. In slow traffic when you're on and off the gas or driving fast/shifting hard - it's a great improvement over not having it. I would buy it again.

How do you like the BFI insert over the 034 insert. Right now I have a billet lower insert, but I also have the BFI stage 1 insert that I haven’t installed. The BFI insert looks to extend up further into the mount more than the 034, but the BFI is a lot more flimsy. What are your impressions?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Thanks for the input Needsleep, I definitely need to turn off the soundacktor now that I have my downpipe installed cars been sounding very awkward it’s good to kno that it great for daily driving I might just get the whole BFI set up like you did I’ve had a bit of wheel hop since adding more power
You can also try the ESC OFF/ESC SPORT/ESC ON mod via VCDS/OBDeleven.

I have a feeling the VW traction control system (uses brakes?) contributes to wheel hop. Even with the upgraded mounts, I experienced a bit of wheel hop with ESC ON and only on rare occasions with ESC SPORT when I was running custom JB4 settings. I'm making more power now with a tune, and with ESC OFF and Cobb's traction control system (reduces timing advance), I get no wheel hop even with my tires squealing.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong about how the VW system works, but this has been my experience.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

How much of the vibration actually goes away after break in verses do you just get used to it so it seems less?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
How much of the vibration actually goes away after break in verses do you just get used to it so it seems less?

I can't say how much, but...

I use one of those add-on wide-angle rear view mirrors that you clip over the stock mirror (sacrilege, I know lol). When I first got the mounts installed, the rear-view mirror was vibrating like crazy during idle. Now, the image I see in the mirror is stable unless I'm going uphill from a stop.

pwomble

Passed Driver's Ed
I ran the full stage 2 bushings and dog bone for 2 weeks. Terrible for daily driving. Loud, everything rattles, I truly hated it. Even the damn headlights vibrate at night. Swapped to full stage 1 on thursday. Any vibration is barely noticable. Stage 1 is definitely the way to go.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I can't say how much, but...

I use one of those add-on wide-angle rear view mirrors that you clip over the stock mirror (sacrilege, I know lol). When I first got the mounts installed, the rear-view mirror was vibrating like crazy during idle. Now, the image I see in the mirror is stable unless I'm going uphill from a stop.

Thanks for that. And I used to have one of those wide angle clip on mirrors on a different car that had lousy visibility.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
How do you like the BFI insert over the 034 insert. Right now I have a billet lower insert, but I also have the BFI stage 1 insert that I haven’t installed. The BFI insert looks to extend up further into the mount more than the 034, but the BFI is a lot more flimsy. What are your impressions?
The 034 insert is crap. It bent quite a bit. Once it was bent I could really feel the back and forth slop when in slow moving traffic. I don't feel that at all with the BFI. You just have to accept the increased NVH at idle/reverse.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
I just put in the BFI stage 2 insert recently. First start was a little jarring but after just a little drive around town it calmed down, and then even more since then. You can hear a bit more drivetrain noise overall (engine, a little trans whine), sounds pretty good when getting on it actually. Volume wise i'd compare it to soundaktor on sport mode while driving in normal mode.
Downshifts feel a bit quicker and the engine definitely rocks less when shifting. I also have a broadview mirror and it shakes a whole lot at idle with the AC on. I have also noticed a vibration that happens around 900 rpm, whether taking off from a stop or just free revving. So taking off (with AC off) is like 800rpm (smooth) > 900rpm (quick judder) > 1000rpm (smooth again). Starting the engine sounds much meatier and more satisfying. And reverse is pretty bad, not going to lie. There is a big judder everytime you hit the clutch bite point. But I only reverse 1x per day for the most part so it doesn't bother me. The reason I went with the stage 2 is that it seems weird to reinforce on the bottom portion of the mount, which leads to the mount actually rotating when its stressed (watch 034 motorsports video on why they developed the upper insert). Didn't want that and was willing to deal with the nvh (or rip it out and sell it or eat the $40).
Oh and wheel hop wise I haven't encountered any since the install, but my car has stock power and pilot AS3+ and its 90deg here every day so thats probably not a good metric.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Also have bfi stage 1 mounts + insert. Its a great setup for a daily. I found the stage 2 engine mount to be unbearable as well but no experience with the stage 2 trans mount or insert.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I'm running BFI stage 1 mounts with the newly redesigned transmission mount and the APR dogbone insert/pendulum, would absolutely recommend you do the BFI mounts... As far as the insert, 034 is crap, stay away from them. I've never ran the BFI insert myself, but I'm willing to bet it's a solid option.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Don't have your setup but wanted to share an idea I saw somewhere else to address the vibrations: set idle up to around 1000rpm. I have the 034 engine mount and Powerflex Hybrid puck. Love it right now (will keep an eye on the 034 as it seems to be the consensus that its crap). Anyway, I have been playing with the throttle to address what seems to be the consistent theme, vibrations at idle/reverse. I have found that if I bring my idle rpm's up to around 1000 everything smooths out considerably. Granted, my mileage will go down but its that or pay for experimenting with different mounts which I really don't want to do.

Side note, if you're interested in the Powerflex Hybrid it will not work with the APR pendulum arm. I had to swap back to the OE arm as the hybrid puck had slots in it that I was not willing to hack just to make the APR arm work with it. The puck is the better upgrade IMO.