GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Polish - NOT for Paint Correction

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Hello All,

The paint on my 2019 R is in very good condition. Currently I don't need any paint / swirl correction of any kind. I'm very familiar with the detailing process and have been detailing my own cars since I was a teenager. I'm just noticing that the paint isn't displaying as much depth or shine recently. I've always kept it very well protected and prefer to use Turtle Wax Seal N Shine for a sealant. I don't use a wax as I'm in Phoenix and the carnauba starts to break down rather quickly in the summer.

My question: For a car with near perfect paint, what's the best product to polish with? I want the least amount of cut possible and don't want to burn up the clear at all. I've done plenty of paint restorations and have used just about everything that's out there, but not necessarily on a near perfect finish.

Here's what I'm considering: Meguiar's M82 SWIRL FREE POLISH
Link to Meguiar's professional line - https://www.meguiars.com/sites/default/files/pdf/professional-catalog.pdf

This product seems like it's the best option for paint that doesn't need correction. My objective is just to make the paint like brand new again, restore some depth & shine, and prepare for new sealant.

Thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
Meguiars Ultimate Compound is my favorite. Cheap and easy to use, most of all it's not overly aggressive.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Meguiars Ultimate Compound is my favorite. Cheap and easy to use, most of all it's not overly aggressive.

No offense, but this was taken directly from the website.

"Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is the ultimate paint cleaner for removing below surface defects such as light to moderate oxidation, scratches, water spots and stains"

I'm looking for a finishing polish with very little cut, not a compound for restore.

Thanks

Jantriis02

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I work as a professional detailer here in MN with my own shop, my go to light duty polish is Griots 10863. It's safe with clear coats, not exceptional when it comes to heavy duty stuff, but Meguiars professional products can do that. I would use this, and then use chemical guys hydroslick over the top of it (my go to exterior polish/ wax setup) and see how it looks. If you don't mind me asking, what color is the car? I would use a different system for a dark grey or black car, but with the silver like my 17 GTI that system will work well. Also, do you have a DA polisher? or are you going to do this by hand?

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I work as a professional detailer here in MN with my own shop, my go to light duty polish is Griots 10863. It's safe with clear coats, not exceptional when it comes to heavy duty stuff, but Meguiars professional products can do that. I would use this, and then use chemical guys hydroslick over the top of it (my go to exterior polish/ wax setup) and see how it looks. If you don't mind me asking, what color is the car? I would use a different system for a dark grey or black car, but with the silver like my 17 GTI that system will work well. Also, do you have a DA polisher? or are you going to do this by hand?

The car is white. No blemishes, scratches, or swirl marks.

I'll be doing this with a DA. I'm quite familiar with polishing and restore processes in general. I'll be decontaminating and claying the car beforehand.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
If the paint is perfect don’t polish

but if the paint needs to be clay barred, I’d polish afterwards. I had good luck with tw hybrid ceramic polish and wax. If you need something aggressive this product won’t be it for you.

Here’s a shiny type r. Decon, clay, light polish, one coat of tw hybrid ceramic spray, waited a day and gave it a second coat.

47B50832-BB23-439E-ACB9-1330F727B13D.jpeg
A923FF18-184E-404B-A78B-A9D788DCAB37.jpeg
E19659B2-8B21-4B0C-90DB-AC28B3F86F47.jpeg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If the paint is perfect don’t polish

but if the paint needs to be clay barred, I’d polish afterwards. I had good luck with tw hybrid ceramic polish and wax. If you need something aggressive this product won’t be it for you.

Here’s a shiny type r. Decon, clay, light polish, one coat of tw hybrid ceramic spray, waited a day and gave it a second coat.

View attachment 191948View attachment 191949View attachment 191950

Looks great. Also looks weird with those other colors reflecting on it from something.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Looks great. Also looks weird with those other colors reflecting on it from something.
Yeah it was in my garage. My brother took my sti. And I kept his type r. When we swapped he was screaming “OMG it’s like a black mirror” LOL. Black does shine very effortlessly and it’s almost not fair. My white gti gets warm and reflects well but it won’t shine :/

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I've been using Meguiar's Ultimate Polish on my car; it needed some minor correction due to car wash marks (and yes I've learned my lesson about "soft cloth" washes), but since the paint was still in pretty good shape, I figured I'd try it before using something more aggressive. It removed the fine scratches and gave it a rather nice shine, so it's definitely worth a shot.