GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Polish - NOT for Paint Correction

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Carnauba has better protection against bugs and bird shit than regular polymers. The ceramic coatings tend to have better protection than either. Carnauba has nearly no durability though, it's melting point is around 165 degrees, which is easy to hit on a sunny, warm day. I've layered carnauba over both sealants and ceramics as I do really prefer the warmth, but down here, I don't expect that carnauba layer to last much past two weeks.

Agreed.

Carnauba = Best Looks, least protection

Synthetics / "Ceramic" = Most resistant to chemical breakdown & best water repellency

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Like a orange pad?

Just curious what DA you used?
Orange hex-logic. Tried the white one 1st but the car wash damage was too severe. I have a Porter-cable DA; not pro-grade but I got it for Xmas one year, and it does well enough for me.

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Orange hex-logic. Tried the white one 1st but the car was damage was too severe. I have a Porter-cable DA; not pro-grade but I got it for Xmas one year, and it does well enough for me.
Okay...I've got the same pads and the same DA.

Last question, I swear, so like 3 or 4 speed setting?
thanks

I know the VW paint is harder so I'm shocked it actually took the defects out with just the Ultimate Polish

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals

thanks

I know the VW paint is harder so I'm shocked it actually took the defects out with just the Ultimate Polish
Yeah, start on 3. I tend to move up to a 4 or 5 with most foam pads and water based polishes, but start with a middle setting to get a feel for how the polish breaks down. I use white and black pads for glazes, but tend to use orange for anything with actual cutting power.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Also worth noting that if you're going conservative, there's no harm in doing a pass with a light polish on an orange pad and then following it with a pass on a white or black pad just to give it a little more pop. I do generally raise the speed one notch when moving to a lighter cut pad.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Also worth noting that if you're going conservative, there's no harm in doing a pass with a light polish on an orange pad and then following it with a pass on a white or black pad just to give it a little more pop.
Isn't that "jeweling", right?
I do generally raise the speed one notch when moving to a lighter cut pad.
And if so I thought you were supposed to do it at a lower speed, not a faster speed?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

thanks

Now that I'm thinking about it, I may have bumped the speed up a notch for the hood and roof. (Also that was supposed to be "car wash damage" but sometimes this keyboard doesn't work as intended.)

I was pleasantly surprised by the result, considering that a few people mentioned (after I'd already bought it) that it wasn't going to do much compared to some of the more expensive polishes. But, I figured I'd give it a go since I've always had good luck with their products.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Isn't that "jeweling", right?

And if so I thought you were supposed to do it at a lower speed, not a faster speed?
I just find that less aggressive pads take forever to breakdown even the lightest polishes, so tend to run them on faster speeds, even on non metallic black paint, it gives good results, but of course every thing varies by user, product and climate, so what works for me doesn't mean it will be right for others.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I had been out of the detailing game for a long time, since I had a pretty big gap between "fun cars" with kids and life. I use to use Zaino and Klasse products back in the day on my M Coupe, but things have obviously changed quite a bit in the detailing world between then and now.
I deferred to Phillip at Detailer's Domain on recommendations based on what I was looking to do https://www.detailersdomain.com/
I still have my old Porter Cable which has always worked great so no reason to change there.
Anyway, for Polish Phillip recommended Jescar Micro Finishing polish using a Rupes yellow pad. R turned out great going this route...
Decon (Carpro Iron-X)-->Clay (using ONR for clay lube) --->Jescar polish w Rupes Yellow pad-->Sonax PNS(applied by hand with small applicator)

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I had been out of the detailing game for a long time, since I had a pretty big gap between "fun cars" with kids and life. I use to use Zaino and Klasse products back in the day on my M Coupe, but things have obviously changed quite a bit in the detailing world between then and now.
I deferred to Phillip at Detailer's Domain on recommendations based on what I was looking to do https://www.detailersdomain.com/
I still have my old Porter Cable which has always worked great so no reason to change there.
Anyway, for Polish Phillip recommended Jescar Micro Finishing polish using a Rupes yellow pad. R turned out great going this route...
Decon (Carpro Iron-X)-->Clay (using ONR for clay lube) --->Jescar polish w Rupes Yellow pad-->Sonax PNS(applied by hand with small applicator)
Virtual high five, i used all of that stuff on my M Coupe too. Mine was Imola/Black with the sunroof. Yours?

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Virtual high five, i used all of that stuff on my M Coupe too. Mine was Imola/Black with the sunroof. Yours?

1605298310330.png

Nice! I sure miss mine. I would actually give up the R right away for my old Coupe in the condition I sold it in. It was very well sorted for track use...GC coilovers & camber plates/Strong Strut/UUC tranny mounts+Short shift kit/S54 Oil Cooler/3.73 diff
Pic is with the street wheel set...SSR GT3's

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
View attachment 192448

Nice! I sure miss mine. I would actually give up the R right away for my old Coupe in the condition I sold it in. It was very well sorted for track use...GC coilovers & camber plates/Strong Strut/UUC tranny mounts+Short shift kit/S54 Oil Cooler/3.73 diff
Pic is with the street wheel set...SSR GT3's
Nice. I did the 3.73, oil cooler, Randy's rear subframe and just a simple Bilstein H&R suspension setup. Loved that car on the track, so much fun and such great feedback. Screwed up all future M and regular BMW's for me though, they all felt huge and numb.

Reactions: MSH