GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery Replacement

VWGTI

Ready to race!
Yes I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but after about an hour of research I still can't find a proper answer. :confused:

Does anyone have a list of direct replacement batteries that are able to be used on the GTI mk7?

After never having to care about what battery I have to replace the stock one with, I'm quickly learning there's a lot more to batteries than I previously understood

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
I didn't have the time to do research as mine died while out and about. Found a Duralast at AutoZone. Not bad. Started getting weak after 2 and a half years. Most batteries are physically larger than original and you can't use the black colored insulated cover. The battery tray is huge, allowing for those Golfs with diesel battery applications. Wish I had bought an Interstate. I buy stronger crank power than stock do to almost all stop and go.Duralast "G" size and power. Three years free replacement. $174.99.

Internexus

Ready to race!
I picked up a Duralast Gold one that was significantly larger than the factory one. The battery tray is adaptable for varying battery sizes and it's worked great since throwing it in. Should be a simple swap for you.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
The original battery on my GTI was EFB type (enhanced flooded battery), I replaced it with the AGM type (absorbent glass mat), remember you must code the new battery so it will charge properly VCDS or OBDEleven can do that.

VWGTI

Ready to race!
I'm hoping a MTX-48 will fit (Yes I know it's a bigger battery, but it is only a H6 group type)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The original batteries are warranted for 3 years. The ones dealers install are AGM's and warranted for 5 years.

VWGTI

Ready to race!
The original batteries are warranted for 3 years. The ones dealers install are AGM's and warranted for 5 years.

Maybe I'll go give them a call. I did have it replaced by the dealer in 2016 due to alternator issues

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Should be free replacement for 3 years, IIRC. Might not cost you anything.

If it works out that way, ask if the new replacement is also warranted for an additional 5 years, the last 2 being prorated.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I'm hoping a MTX-48 will fit (Yes I know it's a bigger battery, but it is only a H6 group type)

It will. I put an H6 DieHard AGM in mine. You just move the hold-down bracket when reinstalling, but if you want to stick with an insulation blanket, you'll need the bigger one, and it's not cheap - $40-$50.

WhiteTDI

Passed Driver's Ed
the OEM battery in my 2015 finally died at about 87K. a little disappointed it only last about 3.5yrs. after some research, looks like upgrading to the larger Group 48 size battery is the way to go. decided to do it right and move up to a good AGM battery from Odyssey (bought as AutoZone). looks like Pep Boys also sells a comparable Bosch AGM.