GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery Dead - 19000 miles

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Hot weather regions kills battery life.

Usually, when you buy a battery at the dealership, they don't have a warranty like an aftermarket battery. It is lumped into their parts warranty, which is 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Varta is a good brand because it's made by a good company, Johnson Controls.
Exide batteries aren't usually that good, so it's best to avoid them, and VW uses them also.

Johnson Controls has made some seriously crap batteries over time. They're just as prone to that as any conventional OEM.

Instead of offering a standard line to be branded like the expensive manufacturers (at this time I'm aware of two Northstar private labels, but they're the same product; and Diehard Platinums were privately labeled Odyssey units), OEMs like this will manufacture to a specification and price point. A battery manufactured by Johnson Controls is not necessarily "their" battery design built to their standard. That said, if it was, they'd be just as expensive as the other guys, so, you win some and you lose some.

They've got to make money, and they never really invested in their brand identity in the consumer market. That places them at the mercy of the requirements of more recognized and marketed private labels.

So, if Varta said build crap, Johnson Controls would build crap. That's not a knock on their practices or quality capability, it's just the reality of being so darn big.

Exide makes outstanding stuff, but they just don't often sell it here. One should absolutely be careful about their stuff. If you dig, you can find it, but some years you have to dig a very deep hole. It really annoys me, actually, because they absolutely know their stuff; they make some of the best batteries in the world... They just know the average North American consumer has no idea what he's buying, and doesn't really care what he's buying.

Drives me batty. We pay the price for the idle-minded, in the end. They peddle their leftovers to us at high prices, and people don't care.

I'm not hating on them for it... I'd do it too, in their position. It's not Walmart's fault people shop there, for example. They just respond to an irrational demand like anyone with an ounce of sense would. :unsure:

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Late last year, just before the end of the year, Diehard brand was sold to Advanced Auto Parts.

And, I also have had a factory exide battery that failed in 2 years, and I don't live in a hot weather climate like FL either. factory Vartas have been more reliable for me. But, I replaced my exide battery with a AZ Duralast battery (made by Johnson Controls), that has a much better warranty then the dealership.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Late last year, just before the end of the year, Diehard brand was sold to Advanced Auto Parts.

And, I also have had a factory exide battery that failed in 2 years, and I don't live in a hot weather climate like FL either. factory Vartas have been more reliable for me. But, I replaced my exide battery with a AZ Duralast battery (made by Johnson Controls), that has a much better warranty then the dealership.

Yeah, I saw that a while back.

I haven't checked, but I wonder if Odyssey is still the OEM for Diehard Platinum. It was a great way to get one in a more interesting color scheme. One thing I found interesting was that the X2 Power units at Batteries Plus are privately labeled Northstar units. That's not particularly interesting; what's interesting is that they went blue and gray like the Diehard Platinum units by Odyssey/Enersys. They're obviously different colors, and arranged in the opposite manner, but I just find it curious.

Kind of felt that was a slight dig at Diehard by Batteries Plus, as Northstar didn't really care about using their own brand at that time. For several years, you didn't see Northstar anywhere on them. In the early 2000s I spent quite a bit of time bothering them until they seemed to give in on including their brand, and managed to convince them a web store wasn't a horrid idea, even if nobody used it. This was because I wanted to actually have the branding on my batteries, because I was growing more fond of them.

They're still an approachable company, even in the face of their rapid growth. I believe they're the youngest lead acid battery manufacturer (correct me if I'm forgetting someone), which is pretty impressive given their success.

I've used and had to recover an obscene amount of batteries over the years. When I first tried their stuff... Oh my word did I ever kick the hell out of it before deciding I'd move to their products. What I did to those things was entirely unreasonable. Only a couple of years ago, I finally killed the first unit I bought to test.

That thing came back from 1.8 volts long enough to fire up a V8 one last time. I'd been trying to kill it since I bought the damned thing. :ROFLMAO:

I've run quite a few Exides in African nations, and had to recover many old units, as well. What they give us is nothing like what they give everyone else. It's kind of bullshit, but whatever. That's the world market for you.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
...and no, I don't work for Northstar, and I've paid retail price for all my batteries.

I just think they deserve more recognition than they get.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't know if these rapidly dying batteries are an issue on all modern cars or not. But I'm now 'testing' a like for like aftermarket Advance Auto parts special, I plan to keep my car till it's run into the ground anyway so am curious how long it is going to go for.
I used Advance's in My MK4. I got a little more than a year-and-a-half from each one, from the best they sold back in the late 2000's. That's when I started carrying a jump box. Still do, but now it's a state-of-the-art lithium-ion one-pounder you can hold in your hand. After that, I only use VW's. I haven't needed to pay for another one since.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Varta is a good brand because it's made by a good company, Johnson Controls.