GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bad ignition coil?

Mk7VW

Banned
Has anyone had early sign of a bad ignition coil? It doesn't matter what gear I'm in but under full throttle the engine feels like it's falling flat on its face for a second then picks up on power. It can do it twice throughout the power band. No fault codes or epc light. Been tuned on Ed stage 2 for 1000 miles.

Edit: it feels like it cuts out and you can feel the engine shake at the moment then it goes back to normal and continues to pull and some times it does it twice in that specific gear.

Last edited:

Brainclaw

Ready to race!
Has anyone had early sign of a bad ignition coil? It doesn't matter what gear I'm in but under full throttle the engine feels like it's falling flat on its face for a second then picks up on power. It can do it twice throughout the power band. No fault codes or epc light. Been tuned on Ed stage 2 for 1000 miles.

Edit: it feels like it cuts out and you can feel the engine shake at the moment then it goes back to normal and continues to pull and some times it does it twice in that specific gear.

Its rare for me, but i have experience what feels like a coil goofing. Power cuts for a split second and comes back. ED Stg 2 HT in lower gears at low speed.

Mk7VW

Banned
When it cuts out for that split second you can hear a small pop from the exhaust. I just ordered 4 OEM coils from DAP. I'll try them out since they were on sale for $24 each.

Mk7VW

Banned
Its rare for me, but i have experience what feels like a coil goofing. Power cuts for a split second and comes back. ED Stg 2 HT in lower gears at low speed.

Yup glad I'm not the only. I'm also tuned stage 2 HT. I'll try a lower gear pull and see if it does it. Ed said I can send him a data log but he said it wont be the tune it has to be part related and he mentioned about mk7 fuel pumps taking a shit.

Brainclaw

Ready to race!
When it cuts out for that split second you can hear a small pop from the exhaust. I just ordered 4 OEM coils from DAP. I'll try them out since they were on sale for $24 each.

Eh sadly i haven't caught it on purpose and really paid attention cause its so short, i have a CTS TBE catless. So my exhaust pops and gurgles a bit naturally. Cant say for sure :( The sensation is definantly feels like fuel/spark or something of the sort. Just how abrupt and short it is. More so something missing in the firing/fueling sequence somewhere.

Mk7VW

Banned
Eh sadly i haven't caught it on purpose and really paid attention cause its so short, i have a CTS TBE catless. So my exhaust pops and gurgles a bit naturally. Cant say for sure :( The sensation is definantly feels like fuel/spark or something of the sort. Just how abrupt and short it is. More so something missing in the firing/fueling sequence somewhere.

A friend of mine had all 4 coils replaced before leaving the lot with his brand new 2016 gti. He said when he was test driving the car it was cutting out like it was lacking power so the dealer suspected it as coils and it's been fixed since then.

Brainclaw

Ready to race!
A friend of mine had all 4 coils replaced before leaving the lot with his brand new 2016 gti. He said when he was test driving the car it was cutting out like it was lacking power so the dealer suspected it as coils and it's been fixed since then.

Hmmm, sounds like a similar ordeal. Too bad the redtops dont fit :(. Iam not aware of any coilpack upgrades as of yet.

Mk7VW

Banned
Hmmm, sounds like a similar ordeal. Too bad the redtops dont fit :(. Iam not aware of any coilpack upgrades as of yet.

I know those R8 plugs look good. I'll let you know if my issue is resolved. If not I may need to speak to a VW performance shop. I really don't feel like going back to stock and taking my car to the dealer for a moron to tell me no issues were found because there's no check engine light.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
You're also running the denso plugs too, right Mk7? How do the plugs look? Possible spark blowout maybe?

Brainclaw

Ready to race!
You're also running the denso plugs too, right Mk7? How do the plugs look? Possible spark blowout maybe?

I actually switched Denso as well. Can confirm for myself at least it happened before and after install. :/

Mk7VW

Banned

Yeah I'm running the plugs they have about 2000 miles on them and I didn't gap them I just put them in as is they were around .028 I don't think it's the spark plugs because it would be a consistent miss fire, but maybe I'll check them out when I swap in the new coil plugs.

Last edited:

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I'm running the plugs they have about 2000 miles on them and I didn't gap them I just put them in as is they were around .028 I don't think it's the spark plugs because it would be a consistent miss fire, but maybe I'll check them out when I swap in the new coil plugs.

Ya that was my thought, but threw it out there just in case haha.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Probably since the car is built in Mexico, some parts are manufactured there is my guess. These are probably the sweet German made ones that go in the R :)