GOLFMKV

AWE vs CTS Turbo

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys,

I'm looking at these two exhausts for a MK7 GTI PP, with stock downpipe:
1) AWE Track edition exhaust
2) CTS Turbo catback

Both seem to be similarly priced, with great built quality and fitment (from reviews I've read)...and both sound GREAT!

Anything else that I should know, to help make up my mind?
I'm not entirely sure but CTS Turbo sounds slightly louder?
Also, AWE is a little more "muffled" (I guess due to the two resonators that comes with the midpipe portion?)
Which one has less drone?

Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I come from a Lexus IS250 with the OEM F-Sport (HKS) axleback which I thought was perfect... (quiet when easy-going, loud enough when ripping it, no drone)

Videos:
AWE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wekTTA2S0k
CTS Turbo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oToWhWl-_8

:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
CTS is my local speed shop. Run by a really awesome bunch of chaps that never cease to impress me with regards to everything - service, friendliness, no-bs attitude and products.

Can't comment on AWE, but have heard GREAT things about them too.

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
CTS is based out of Canada and AWE here in Philly area.

CTS is def a top seller and not to make it even more confusing but have you looked at Billy Boat? Another one in the same price range and really high quality system

http://www.moddedeuros.com/volkswagen/golf-gti/mk7-2015/exhaust

Thanks, I've listened to the Billy Boat and wasn't really into the sound.
I know youtube videos don't do justice so before I buy I'll probably hit up some local meets and hear some exhausts in person.

CTS is my local speed shop. Run by a really awesome bunch of chaps that never cease to impress me with regards to everything - service, friendliness, no-bs attitude and products.

Can't comment on AWE, but have heard GREAT things about them too.

Good to hear, always happy to support a Canadian company.

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion
Thanks, I've listened to the Billy Boat and wasn't really into the sound.
I know youtube videos don't do justice so before I buy I'll probably hit up some local meets and hear some exhausts in person.

Good to hear, always happy to support a Canadian company.

Yea just wanted to give you another example. Personally think CTS is the route to go

Josh/AWE

Unlocking Performance
We pride ourselves in eliminating droning to the best of our ability. Our in house R&D team goes through several revisions and incorporates careful engineering in pursuit of our signature sound.

One thing to consider is your full exhaust modification path. Will you be upgrading your downpipe in the future? What may sound good now will certainly change when you go down that route. We offer two downpipes to give you more options for sound and performance. We also give you the ability to convert from a Track Edition exhaust to a Touring Edition with a midpipe change should your future modifications result in an exhaust tone you do not prefer!

We have several dealers in the Toronto area who can get you all setup with an exhaust. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

dee1040

Is there a clip of the cts turbo catback exhaust system that we can reference the sound with? When I installed my exhaust recently, it has been droning in the cabin and seems to be only as loud as the stock system.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I believe the exhaust thread has one as well as CTS' site.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
AWE Track has zero done.
This i just had AWE track back installed this weekend as a father's day surprise and it's amazing. 0 drone and makes some sweet noise when you get some spirited driving in.

On a side note is had a CTS catback on my mk6 gti and I was very disappointed. It was almost as quiet as stock and really needed to be pared with a catless downpipe if you wanted noise. I would not buy again....

Either way good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

geova05

Passed Driver's Ed
I believe CTS just came out with a revision of their cat back exhaust which gives more clearance for guys who are on coils and a resonator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion
I believe CTS just came out with a revision of their cat back exhaust which gives more clearance for guys who are on coils and a resonator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they did. Also revised the resonator on it. We will have these in the next few weeks.