Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Black

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I had the touring exhaust on my a3 with stock down pipe and I loved the sound and dsg farts but I absolutely hated the small drone it had on highway speeds. It also got unwanted attention at work due to how loud it can be on the outside so I decided to just remove it. If I could have the sound on command and lessen it like a valve system I would have kept it. Thankfully my new car has valves so hopefully I can have best of both worlds.
Are you sure you didn't have the Track version? Because the Touring version isn't that loud.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Are you sure you didn't have the Track version? Because the Touring version isn't that loud.
I believe the A3 only come in Touring. And objectively, it isn't that loud and I have friends with much louder cars that they enjoy (B7 S4 4.2L, Catless DP and exhaust) and I could never daily that thing. As a track car the car sounds amazing. However, subjectively I hated the drone between 2.5-3k RPMS and that was my normal cruising RPMs. If I added a resonater it would probably make the catback sound too close to stock so I went back to stock anyway. If I could have kept the car's sound and be able to control when I have it be louder I would have kept it and loved it. That's why I'm really happy to have a car with a valved system now

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
If you have the stock downpipe, get the Track exhaust.

If you have an aftermarket downpipe, or plan on getting one, still get the Track exhaust. But either have a muffler shop weld in a Vibrant 17950 resonator, or get Jake's midpipe that already has one.
I have the AWE touring and it is fine, but if I did it over again this is what I would do.

Agreed with everyone else, track edition isn't super loud, but it does drone.

also, for the record, I have never experienced the "awe sag", exhaust has been on for about 4 years.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I have the AWE touring and it is fine, but if I did it over again this is what I would do.

Agreed with everyone else, track edition isn't super loud, but it does drone.

also, for the record, I have never experienced the "awe sag", exhaust has been on for about 4 years.
The Track edition drones with the stock downpipe?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I have Track Edition paired with stock dp. First, it's not all that difficult install to do on your own but you need a buddy. It helps for him to hold parts up while you bolt down the clamps. I did it using ramps you could buy at auto zone to lift up the front end and then jacked up the rear and put it on jack stands. Everything on the OEM came off pretty easily. Only confusion was you have to re-use the little joining pipe that connects the stock dp to this exhaust. The instructions didn't indicate that and I lost my mind trying to figure out why the track exhaust would not reach the stock dp. That joining pipe bridges them together and is required if you're pairing with stock dp.

Sound wise, it is very quiet with stock dp. Almost OEM with a SLIGHT louder idle. Like, you'll hear something but it isn't dramatic at all. Honestly, the whole exhaust is tame with stock dp until you actually get on it. When you do, it does sound very clean. I was personally looking for something quiet due to my age and giving some peace of mind to my neighbors when I turn it on in the morning (or super late for that matter). Yet I needed SOME sound because, I don't want to drive around in a car that sounds like my mother's Elantra... It checks all the boxes.

Lastly, if it isn't sound, it's tips right? Well, they fit the cutouts of my aftermarket ECS Tuning rear diffuser perfectly. Just the right size to feel good because those OEM tips were puny looking. Fitment was easy since you can play with it before settling down. After nearly a year of this exhaust on, the tips are still ALMOST in their same position. Of course some movement would of occurred as things settled in and the right side tip seems to have raised a few millimeters than where it started. Regarding silver/black tips, without a doubt silver. The black are going to disappear in the diffuser and won't be as noticeable. I wanted to be able to see what I bought when I'm walking towards the car, so I made sure they would be silver so that they stand out.

Pic from the same day I installed the exhaust. Was a very happy day for the car for sure.

20210918_142918.jpg

Lastly, I'll leave you with a pro tip. There is a little black bar in the center area of the car where the exhaust sits. After my install, after about a month or 2, I got a crazy new rattle introduced. Turns out, the exhaust was hitting that black bar. I took the black bar off (very easy, like 4 screws total) and wrapped it in a heat sleeve that had very nice cushion that was around 15 bucks at AutoZone. Rattle went away after that. Just keep that in mind in case you hear anything a little after install.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
The Track edition drones with the stock downpipe?

Hell no. There is no drone. The car is tame as hell with stock dp and track. Like I said, you're only mostly going to hear it when you rip on the car. Otherwise, it's very tame.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
can't confirm, I only ever used it with an aftermarket downpipe. but I would imagine so.

You could always start with the track exhaust then switch out the midpipe for a Baun pipe with the vibrant resonator installed.
Ok. That makes more sense. I would say drone with an aftermarket DP is pretty much expected on a catback without a resonator. Jake's midpoint is a great option, though!

Last edited:

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Have your considered getting the TCR muffler? If you're thinking about the Touring version then I'm assuming you are looking for a more aggressive than stock but nothing over the top which is what I find the TCR gives me. Nice low key burbles once warmed up and sounds nice at WOT too.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Have your considered getting the TCR muffler? If you're thinking about the Touring version then I'm assuming you are looking for a more aggressive than stock but nothing over the top which is what I find the TCR gives me. Nice low key burbles once warmed up and sounds nice at WOT too.
I have but it's like $750 USD or $1k CAD.... Was thinking maybe a whole catback exhaust might be better. Though some are saying these cheaper catback exhausts are no good in various ways.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I have but it's like $750 USD or $1k CAD.... Was thinking maybe a whole catback exhaust might be better. Though some are saying these cheaper catback exhausts are no good in various ways.
that's pretty wild prices. I didn't realize they had increased that much. worth keeping an eye on the forums for people selling one but I don't blame you looking elsewhere. The Borla S exhaust was going to be my second option as it sounded the most similar imo but I saw you're trying to stay with awe

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I just want to say, if you are staying on the stock downpipe the touring system is going to sound almost as quiet as stock. Check out the track system or an MBRP exhaust.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I just want to say, if you are staying on the stock downpipe the touring system is going to sound almost as quiet as stock. Check out the track system or an MBRP exhaust.

It's funny because, track+oem is tame. Track+DP is redonkulous. Touring+oem is no different probably, while Touring+dp is probably tame, lol.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
It's funny because, track+oem is tame. Track+DP is redonkulous. Touring+oem is no different probably, while Touring+dp is probably tame, lol.
Yeah I had the same issue when looking for an exhaust. I dont plan to go past stage 1 this time around so the stock downpipe will be staying, thus I needed a system that sounded good with that. I looked at X force, borla, magnaflow, AWE, AFE, and remus. Any of them that had mufflers/resonator were pretty tame, and the ones that have both a muffler and resonator almost sound quieter than stock. Then I found the MBRP system which is pretty much a straight pipe system with a little chamber thats supposed to cancel out drone frequencies and clean up the tone. From what I have experienced so far, it works as intended and I was not expecting much. Highly recommend for anyone staying stock on the downpipe.