GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Asta la vista, baby. . .

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
no, like it doesnt bother me that they're ditching it.

same with MINI, the dct's are faster and can hold more power, plus the cars are designed for them originally. you're getting a compromised powertrain with modern manuals.
Meh. Hollow victory. DSGs likely have three years left in the GTI/R, then it’s all EVs all the time.

MINI is already there, the gas models will likely only last through this generation.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
no, like it doesnt bother me that they're ditching it.

same with MINI, the dct's are faster and can hold more power, plus the cars are designed for them originally. you're getting a compromised powertrain with modern manuals.

Yet here you are, in a thread discussing the demise of the GTI/R manual.

Pretty sure everyone that got a manual, knows the DSG, heck, even regular automatics are "better" yet still chose a manual knowing that.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yet here you are, in a thread discussing the demise of the GTI/R manual.

Pretty sure everyone that got a manual, knows the DSG, heck, even regular automatics are "better" yet still chose a manual knowing that.
The cool thing about any car going fully automatic is that it’s invisible to me. There are all sorts of cool cars that I don’t care about because I’d never buy them. The Mk8.5 just goes in the same bucket as the rest of VW and Audi for me.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Man. Remember when the manual version of a car was 2 seconds faster 0-60 than the automatic ala Civic etc

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Man. Remember when the manual version of a car was 2 seconds faster 0-60 than the automatic ala Civic etc

And Fox body Mustangs. When just about every car had an available manual, even if they were POS. I had a buddy with a v6 5speed Corsica lol.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
And Fox body Mustangs. When just about every car had an available manual, even if they were POS. I had a buddy with a v6 5speed Corsica lol.
Was it a notch back. My neighbor had a white manual notchback Corsica.

Maybe we knew the same guy

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I wonder if some of this has to do with a pending refresh in 2025. Like it was too expensive to redesign the center console/stack area for a handful of manual sales

It's kinda all the same, right?

Variance in production, of any kind, will cost VW more money. Even if they keep using the same trans, indefinitely.

The refresh is definitely a factor, along with the fact that they are just phasing out ICE all together. It's honestly a bad move, depending on how this whole thing plays out. My money is on PHEV, which is the direction we should have gone to begin with.

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/09/n...e-all-electric-r-and-gti-models-will-live-on/

Greg_mk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 golf R
You guys and your button phobia. It’s great, faster and just as easy or easier to use than my Mk7.5. And only every few times I push the sunroof “button” does it call emergency services.

It’s been interesting how much different this car feels even though the chassis is basically unchanged.
Try seeing if its faster and easier when its -15 outside and you have gloves on in the car.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Apparently, drivers in Austin Texas and Montreal Canada have different concerns regarding the effects of ambient temperatures.
Honestly, rarely take it off Max ac, so car could come with no HVAC controls and we'd be good for 10 months out of if the year

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Is anyone else chuckling at the downfall of Western culture? You really just gotta sit back with an ice cold Mulvaney Light and enjoy the show sometimes (while reveling in how fortunate we were to catch a glimpse of the golden era of automobiles)

I suppose when you're only 18 this would be considered the golden age instead of the mid-60's.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I guess, as long as you don’t care about power, acceleration, handling, braking, reliability and creature comforts.

I don't know, my Corvette ticked all of the boxes back then, and was a lot more fun to drive. I was a lot tougher back, didn't buy anything with A/C until 1973.