GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ask Me Anything: Lug Nut, Bolts and Wheel Locks!

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I bought a 19 in August and none of the bolts are locking.
This is generally a function of the original selling dealer and what port the vehicle comes from. Dealers will choose some OEM supplied 3rd party accessories when they order cars and either the port supplies them or installs them. That varies a lot by brands, and I'm not very familiar with VW but I have a lot of experience with US dealers and wheel locks.
Thanks all! Sounds like nothing to be concerned about, then. I hear they're easily broken anyway so not sure how much value there'd be in getting some.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I want to protect my black Pretorias from socket scratches. I see several 17MM sockets with a soft rubber outer cover, such as from Burger Motorsports, ARES and even Autozone. Is one better than the other, or will most anything work on a '21 MK7 GTI?

I'm thinking that one of these Schwaben wheel hangers might be good to have on hand too, though that nurled end might not be such a welcome feature.

Thanks again y'all.

1618438949223.png

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I have the Schwaben wheel hanger and it's great. You're not going to bang your wheels up on that coarse end piece, it's recessed a little and it's not as bad as it looks. It'd be hard to scratch the bolt holes on that.

I also went with tuner bolts to avoid the scratching problem when removing and reinstalling. They come with a 12pt tool / extension to help avoid that. Worth the money I think from a paint preservation and security standpoint.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I want to protect my black Pretorias from socket scratches. I see several 17MM sockets with a soft rubber outer cover, such as from Burger Motorsports, ARES and even Autozone. Is one better than the other, or will most anything work on a '21 MK7 GTI?

I'm thinking that one of these Schwaben wheel hangers might be good to have on hand too, though that nurled end might not be such a welcome feature.

Thanks again y'all.

View attachment 210348

Don't get the one with the knurled edge. Read that they can scratch. Just get the oem one.

Sockets. I just bought a set off Amazon that had 17, 19, 21 mm. So can use on different cars.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B083N4C6NT/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
For OEM wheels you don't have options for tuner/spline lugs since those are conical seat, but a sleeved socket doesn't hurt to have.

I use Gorilla wheel hangers (surprise!) which have the knurled end, and I guess I'm not that concerned or aware about the knurl touching the wheel. If you are concerned then the OEM is one of the few that's just a tube.

VQVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
The Schwaben one is aluminum. Super light weight, so saves a few grams if you store it in your armrest, but would rather have steel. Soon after I bought it I cross-threaded it somehow and it chewed up the end of the threads. Too soft. It still works but I have to be extra careful when threading it. But definitely get a wheel hanger, they are very helpful.