GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR troubles. Thank you Eurodyne

mec0902

Passed Driver's Ed
On December 11th I went to a local shop to get an APR tune with my wife's GTI.

My GTI has a JB1 and no issues at all. I've installed the JB1 on her car, and it ran flawless as well. Both cars are setup the same. They are DSG's. They have Neuspeed intakes, APR downpipes, Borla catbacks.

The day I got her car tuned, the car was acting up. At part throttle in 3rd and 4th, from about 2800rpm's and up, the motor would violently buck, while the diverter valve would machine gun out boost. No traction light was blinking either. It was not a traction issue. The car would eventually even out and pull hard. No codes. I chalked this up to adaptation, and gave that car a couple of hundred miles to adjust.

After a few hundred miles, it was still doing it. I called my APR dealer, and let them know what was happening. They asked for a video. I provided it. They opened a case and then asked for me to do data logs. I don't have the means to data log.

I decided that the tune had to go. I went back to my dealer and they removed the tune, and gave me a full refund. Awesome.

I asked for my DSG to be flashed back to stock as well, because it was still rushing into 6th and 45mph, and I was sold on the fact that it would hold gears far longer than stock in D. 6th gear at 45 while going up hill is not cool. My MK6 GLI would downshift 1 gear on small inputs, 2 gears on larger inputs. The MK7 tune would require nearly 50% throttle, and would lug the engine momentarily, then kick down 2 gears, causing surging and bucking. APR's dealer acknowledged the rush to 6th, and slow downshifts issue in an email. I wanted out of APR regardless at this point. I was turned off by them rushing the DSG software to market and their engine tune making the car feel and act like something was wrong.

I was told I would not get a refund because it was more than 30 days. Understandable. I asked if they could extend a courtesy because of the problem their tune was causing, and they flat out said NO. I'm cool with that, I'll take it on the chin for waiting a little past 30 days.

Here's the best part. I ordered a Eurodyne flash cable for a customer. The customer decided to trade the car up for an R, so i decided to throw the tune on my wife's GTI.
Bottom line, Eurodyne Stage 2 91 V8 absolutely runs flawless. Non of the APR problems, with better pull, because the car is no longer falling on it's face. Part throttle, WOT, everywhere, it's better than the APR tune, and stock like in delivery. I've purchased credits for their DSG flash today as well. I'm happy with her car now, and so is she.

This isn't an APR bash thread, or a Eurodyne praise thread. My car has a JB1 on it, and I love it. My wife's car is an absolute beast now, and smooth as stock. That explosive power that the APR has, with all of it's issues on her car is not cool. They really wanted me to do full 3rd and 4th gear pulls. I'm not getting arrested for APR's bad R&D. Sorry.

Hope this helps someone with a similar issue.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Eurodyne v8 tune pulls hard till shifted redline, I've ridden in a Stage 2 car.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
My only issue is that the Eurodyne tool doesn't flash back to your ECU's specific box code, unless that got fixed recently.

Also the flash date is real, someone with a Eurodyne tune got a warranty claim denied because VWoA found the flash date and an invalid ECU box code for their car when doing a deep dive.

I guess its kind of a null point when all flash tuners are going to have the same issue with the flash date (not to be confused with the counter).

Detail below from a different thread:

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I had ED stage 1.5, when the engine broke it still rune roughly so I proceeded to take the ED flash tool and loaded the stock map back in.
Programming attempts was reset back to 00100010001 as should read when stock and new.

I even took the car back home flashed back to stock driving very slowly, next morning I drove to the workshop to remove the 42DD downpipe and reinstall the OEM downpipe then drove to the dealer, I think I was lucky not to throw a rod.

So to sum up, I flashed back to stock and drove for about 20 kms.
Doing that I thought they might not notice it was tuned.

The dealer didn't notice but two days later (that is today) they called to say the VW voided the warranty and they even knew the exact kilometers I had in the odometer when I started flashing the car with the Eurodyne flash tool.

So the tune is never invisible, VW Germany has the tools or the ability to find out and they will.

I will never again flash any car, If I need more power or I get bored with my current car I will switch to a new one.

Good luck.

Davey Jones

Ready to race!
I just had the EPC/limp mode issue when going WOT in 5th gear last night on my stage 1 APR tune. I was happy with it up to that point. Now I am scared of going into limp mode in a dangerous situation.

Going to sleep on it for a week while I'm away for the holidays, but I expect I'll probably get a refund before 30 days is up.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Did you read the EPC light code? My guess is either turbine overspeed or overboost condition.

6 speed Golf R's are somewhat new, I bet there is going to be pains between the DSG and 6MT boxes.

RedReplicant

Ready to race!
Is the tune new? I think a couple of EPC lights until the car gets used to the tune/plugin unit is normal. Mine did it twice after throwing the JB1 on but hasn't happened again in months.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
The latest 2 tune revisions for Eurodyne are simply fantastic!!! It did take awhile to get to this point but well worth it. I'm currently running their DSG tune with HT 93 octane tune and it freakin' rips...and it's very very smooth.

Davey Jones

Ready to race!
Did you read the EPC light code? My guess is either turbine overspeed or overboost condition.

6 speed Golf R's are somewhat new, I bet there is going to be pains between the DSG and 6MT boxes.

The 2016 is the same car as the 2015 for tuning purposes, other than breaking the encryption. Once they figured out how to side skirt the lock out, the tune file was the same.

The EPC light came on while driving and cut all throttle. This is a well documented issue that I was able to find pretty easily on Vortex after I experienced it. The codes were all for cam performance issues on each cylinder. All the codes started with P11A..

I talked to an R owner who has a UM tune. He had the same issue but UM tweaked the tune file and fixed it for him.

I talked to an R owner who has an APR tune. He had this issue over the summer and APR has been aware since at least August/September, and have yet to release a fix.

An R owner in Austin has had this same issue occur when trying to merge into traffic. It is an accident waiting to happen.

Mojo_BR

Passed Driver's Ed
Eurodyne makes power everywhere. JB1 falls off at the top end. But don't sleep on the JB1, it really is the best plug and play unit out there. It's so close to a tune it's scary.

thank you and thank gn4

Been a JB1 happy customer since august or so. remarkable product. tuning is out of question to me for the time being. not even getting in warranty issues to reach that conclusion, with regular cheap gas and a very fun to arrange map 6 I am already faster than 99.5% of the cars in brazilian roads and 99.8% in town.

(most cars around got under 1.4 liter NA engines, only twice as expensive imports can hang with a stock gti, let alone one in a steroid rampage)

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
Glad to see you are happy running Eurodyne.

But I am surprised the car ran so poorly on APR but so well on Eurodyne. Did the dealer flash the wrong/bad file to your car, e.g. stage 2 93/100, and your car was detonating?

Unacceptable they weren't willing to jump at the opportunity to troubleshoot the issues. You pay top dollar for APR for the benefit of full service and I would expect the dealer to go out of their way to address my problems. I would report your issues with this dealer to APR. I bet they would want to know.

It's up to you whether you want to make the name of this dealer public. I am assuming you are being upfront with us and weren't rude and dishonest with the dealer as to dissuade them from helping you?

Eurodyne tune has had some growing pains. Chris started with a conservative tune which was refined into the beast that it is now, especially the High Torque file that has both monster low end torque and strong pull all the way to 6k. IMO, this is the only way to find the optimal tune, build a strong user base which can essentially beta test the file across a large sample of cars, conditions, and fuel. I ran the 100 oct stage 2 map for a tank and found the 91 nearly as satisfying. Not as much power obviously, but I prefer paying $2.80/gal. The problems we saw initially with Eurodyne were intended to protect the engine, e.g. torque limits and thermal protection. In other words, Chris has erred on the safe side with the tune. Other issues were specific to poor gas like we have here in California. Chris dialed back the 91 file to accommodate poor quality 91.

Last edited: