GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage III with non APR DP?

crew219

Banned
Out of curiosity, why do you like the UR dp? It has multiple welds (not as smooth on the inside as a single mandrel bent piece), doesn't use stainless flanges and the hanger mechanism doesn't appear to be as robust nor is it adjustable.

I've had both the AWE metal cat dp + resonator and the APR metal cat dp. Now running the APR midpipe on my 2.0t stage III. When stage II, I didn't notice much of a difference with or without the small resonator.

Dave

BeauG

Ready to race!
Out of curiosity, why do you like the UR dp?

To be honest? I haven't been able to compare enough to actually say I like one more than the other, but from what I have read/heard through word of mouth, the whole UR turboback is more of a refined sound and less of a "loud" sound. I don't want my car to be super loud.

Like I said, I haven't heard every possible exhaust combination, and I've only seen videos of the APR exhaust, but from what I have heard through the vids, an APR turboback would have cops rallying at the next exit whenever I try to pass someone on the highway.

That covers the WHOLE exhaust. As far as the DP, I was hoping to stick with one brand front to back, and since I liked the sound of the UR catback, it only made since to go with the UR downpipe. I'm starting to lean towards the APR DP just for simplicity now, but I'm still hesitant on the WHOLE RSC turboback. Make sense?

Last edited:

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
my apr turboback is not ridiculous loud...when you get on it yeah it will wake you up but it is civil when you drive civilly...and no drone at all...thats what none of the youtube videos show

APR turboback is only loud at wot, and even then it isn't very loud...every video is at wot so you don't really know what it is like driving around

as far as exhaust on all cars, it really is a quiet exhaust...turbo cars run quieter in general minus subarus with their boxster motor are loud

BeauG

Ready to race!
APR turboback is only loud at wot, and even then it isn't very loud...every video is at wot so you don't really know what it is like driving around

as far as exhaust on all cars, it really is a quiet exhaust...turbo cars run quieter in general minus subarus with their boxster motor are loud

Right... Maybe I'm not making it clear that I don't want a super loud exhaust at 40mph, OR at WOT. I'm not worried about its sound at regular highway speeds or simple 30-40mph driving, I'm concerned with how loud it appears under heavy load.

Stein357

Ready to race!
I've ridden in a Stage III car with stock exhaust, sounded stock too. Just don't put a catback on your car if you're concerned about the sound level.

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
I've ridden in a Stage III car with stock exhaust, sounded stock too. Just don't put a catback on your car if you're concerned about the sound level.

agreed. cat back are for sound anyway. any performance claim from an exhuast is all from the freer flowing downpipe. if its just a cat back youre changine, all you gain is a few pounds in weight reduction (holy hell is the stock muffler heavy) and some noise.

crew219

Banned

You nailed it. Resonated DPs don't even do much for sound. They merely change the tone of the exhaust slightly and more often or not, the location causes the packing to burn out quickly due to the heat from our turbos.

Dave

joema2

Ready to race!
I have an '11 GTI that I am about to go straight to stage 2 with....
I went straight to APR stage 2 on my '10 GTI using their downpipe, stage 2 intake, and intercooler. It ran well but unfortunately was not emissions compliant. They deactivate an O2 sensor so may fail emissions in states which do plug-in OBD II testing. The error is "readiness monitors not set".

I discussed with multiple people at APR, but received no guidance about possible future solutions. The only solution was re-flash to stage 1, remove downpipe, pass emissions, re-install downpipe, re-flash to stage 2. Since I went with APR last year, their two closest dealers closed. The only option APR gave me was drive five hours, two ways, twice.

This forced me to GIAC stage 2, which passed emissions (with only an O2 spacer). It runs fine on my APR hardware. GIAC and the local dealer were highly supportive of the emissions situation and committed to doing whatever was necessary to make my car pass.

I strongly recommend you closely investigate the emissions testing situation in your state before you commit to APR stage 2.

If you only want APR stage 1, that will pass. If you even *think* you might go to APR stage 2 in the future, you need to meticulously scrutinize your state emissions requirements first, or select a different vendor.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
I went straight to APR stage 2 on my '10 GTI using their downpipe, stage 2 intake, and intercooler. It ran well but unfortunately was not emissions compliant. They deactivate an O2 sensor so may fail emissions in states which do plug-in OBD II testing. The error is "readiness monitors not set".

I discussed with multiple people at APR, but received no guidance about possible future solutions. The only solution was re-flash to stage 1, remove downpipe, pass emissions, re-install downpipe, re-flash to stage 2. Since I went with APR last year, their two closest dealers closed. The only option APR gave me was drive five hours, two ways, twice.

This forced me to GIAC stage 2, which passed emissions (with only an O2 spacer). It runs fine on my APR hardware. GIAC and the local dealer were highly supportive of the emissions situation and committed to doing whatever was necessary to make my car pass.

I strongly recommend you closely investigate the emissions testing situation in your state before you commit to APR stage 2.

If you only want APR stage 1, that will pass. If you even *think* you might go to APR stage 2 in the future, you need to meticulously scrutinize your state emissions requirements first, or select a different vendor.

you just got the testpipe file...you will fail for readiness...without the testpipe file, you will get a check engine light but if you clear it then get emissions done you will pass

rgs

Ready to race!
They deactivate an O2 sensor so may fail emissions in states which do plug-in OBD II testing. The error is "readiness monitors not set".

Is that the only error code that comes up with OBDII testing? If so, TX allows one Not Ready code and the car will still pass. More than one and your are screwed.

From a quick online search, it appears TN does not even allow a single Not Ready code.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
Is that the only error code that comes up with OBDII testing? If so, TX allows one Not Ready code and the car will still pass. More than one and your are screwed.

From a quick online search, it appears TN does not even allow a single Not Ready code.

Delaware is the same you must have all 0 to pass emissions

rgs

Ready to race!
Delaware is the same you must have all 0 to pass emissions

I am not a native Texan but I love how they fight the system on everything.

They fought for years to get red light cameras put in and the populace would have nothing to do with them. After a long time, local government in Houston won out. Then a lawyer got a group together to get them banned and got it on a ballot. The camera's lost and they had to turn them all off. Now they are sitting atop posts all across the city gathering dust and bird poop.

Not that I run through red lights or anything crazy like that. It is just that I do not feel that the government has to have camera's on you at all times. If speed camera's ever catch on in the states, I will personally join the fight to keep those away.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
I am not a native Texan but I love how they fight the system on everything.

They fought for years to get red light cameras put in and the populace would have nothing to do with them. After a long time, local government in Houston won out. Then a lawyer got a group together to get them banned and got it on a ballot. The camera's lost and they had to turn them all off. Now they are sitting atop posts all across the city gathering dust and bird poop.

Not that I run through red lights or anything crazy like that. It is just that I do not feel that the government has to have camera's on you at all times. If speed camera's ever catch on in the states, I will personally join the fight to keep those away.

I think Delaware is the worst they have cameras at every other light to me THATS BULLSHIT

Even tho i stop.... Delaware is a nice place to live but there laws sucks

Thats why they call it small wonder..... smaller state have shitty laws

Last edited:

BoomBoy

Ready to race!
I don't want to go stage 3 but I may upgrade to a K04 turbo in the future. Will it match up with any DP or does it have to be APR or Billy Boat that will work with K04?

If that is true, it sucks that I have the wrong DP.