GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage III with non APR DP?

BeauG

Ready to race!
I have an '11 GTI that I am about to go straight to stage 2 with. I was considering the Ultimate Racing DP, carbonio intake and stage 2 flash, but I do have plans to go APR Stage 3 at some point in the future and I'm concerned about mating it up to the GT28rs.

I really like the Ultimate Racing DP, but should I even bother putting it on there if I am just going to have to sell it when I go Stage 3? Does anyone from UR post on here that could tell me if a custom setup would be available down the road, or would I have to have a DP made locally if I decided not to go with the APR DP?

I did a search but couldn't find a thread with this question. If there is one already, I'd love a link to it.

Thanks!

EDIT: I should say that I DO understand that the UR DP won't mate up directly to the GT28. What I need to know is if it can be easily modified or if it would be absolute hell trying to fit it.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
the only 2 that will work are APR and Billy Boat...for stage 3 all that is needed is the mid pipe...the gt28's size makes a DP that mates to the stock turbo not fit

you can't really get a custom set up either, because it needs to mate with the new dp section that comes with stage 3, and they don't have measurements for the big turbo to make a new top pipe...just buy a BB dp and if its the res you want add that on with a local shop

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
i would get the UR because who knows how long you will have this car, what your financial position will be down the road, etc. i'd like to put a gt3071r on mine in the future, but i'm also wondering if i'll trade up to the r20 once it gets stateside.

plus the UR is a very nice downpipe with really good reviews. it'll have a good resale value, i'm sure some UR diehard with a raging boner for this DP will want it in a year or two should you decide to sell it

BeauG

Ready to race!
the only 2 that will work are APR and Billy Boat...for stage 3 all that is needed is the mid pipe...the gt28's size makes a DP that mates to the stock turbo not fit

I guess I could always sell the UR downpipe when the time comes to recoup the cost for the APR midpipe. I'm just trying to avoid having a stupidly loud exhaust.

What would be a good catback to pair with the APR downpipe/midpipe to avoid sounding ridiculous?

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
I guess I could always sell the UR downpipe when the time comes to recoup the cost for the APR midpipe. I'm just trying to avoid having a stupidly loud exhaust.

What would be a good catback to pair with the APR downpipe/midpipe to avoid sounding ridiculous?

my apr turboback is not ridiculous loud...when you get on it yeah it will wake you up but it is civil when you drive civilly...and no drone at all...thats what none of the youtube videos show

the only exhaust that is noticeably possible quieter is UR with a resonated down pipe and a resonated catback....most cat back exhaust will be pretty quiet just because thats the nature of a turbo car...they all just produce different tones becaues of muffler design...to be as quiet as possible the res on the downpipe will be the biggest difference

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
With the APR stage 3 turbocharger system, we include everything from the turbo all the way to right under the car where the catalytic converter sits. All you need is a way to put a 3 inch exhaust pipe into the included downpipe and you are all set.

Naturally, the APR midpipe slips right in. It's on sale right now for $395.
http://store.goapr.com/products/Catpipe-%2d-2.0T-Trans-Stage-III-FWD-3-Inch-Cat.html

BeauG

Ready to race!
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go with the UR DP for now and just hope to sell it when it comes time for Stage 3. I wish I could find someone locally with the APR DP so I could hear it. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to to 150mph when I'm getting on it to pass someone on the highway.

BeauG

Ready to race!
With just a downpipe upgrade? It's fairly quite if you've only updated the downpipe.

Good point, I guess it would just be easier, faster and probably cheaper to grab the APR DP. I just really like the UR exhaust as well, wonder how it would sound with the APR DP and UR cat-back??? :iono:

BeauG

Ready to race!

Heretic:GTI

Ready to race!
I have a Billy boat downpipe to stock exhaust and it's not loud at all. Most people that hear it say it sounds stock. Only time I notice it is when I wot, and it is barely louder than stock. After asking many people, reading tons of posts, and watching videos I was a little disappointed that it isn't a bit louder. I don't want an obnoxious exhaust at all but with all the info I gathered I was expecting it to be a lot louder...

BeauG

Ready to race!
If I install the intake and DP myself, is the car safe to drive 40min to my local APR shop for the flash? I'd prefer to avoid the labor for a pretty simple install if possible.

Heretic:GTI

Ready to race!
If I install the intake and DP myself, is the car safe to drive 40min to my local APR shop for the flash? I'd prefer to avoid the labor for a pretty simple install if possible.

As long as you install everything properly you'll be fine to drive it.