GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Roll-Control Lowering Springs for the 2015-21 VW GTI (MK7 / MK7.5)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The dampers in my video were "like new" (to me) after ~45K or whatever it was with half of that on H&Rs. Stock dampers are probably running at reduced rate on stock springs a lot sooner than folks realize. Linear or not should have no bearing on that. These APR springs are working as a single-rate linear spring most of the time, it's not like they are continuously progressive...it's just 2 rates....1 you are in all the time, and 1 for the dead coils that you only "see" when you are at full extension. Unless oil is leaking out, I can't see how a damper "wears out"...the orifice the oil flows through doesn't get wider..hahaha

Oil does break down, in a shock just like in a drivetrain component.

So thinned out oil, going through that same size orifice is in fact in a way “wearing out”, just not in the way you might think.

Some suspension is also gas charged as well, and once the gas leaks out due to worn seals the performance is drastically reduced.

Be it from lost nitrogen charge, thinner viscosity shock oil or both, reduced valve dampening on an already over sprung set up will snowball once the degradation begins.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
To hit the target spring rates and lowering amounts the spring diameter was set at 6.1" (OD).

@Arin@APR how do your MK8 GTI or R springs (since they are two different part numbers) compare diameter-wise to the MK7 SUS00014 kit?

Any chance of getting a detailed photo or two of the SUS00016 MK8 GTI front spring?

Similar to this:

1706120542168.png

The lower coil is what determines how the spring will sit. If it is positioned in the ~7 o'clock position, looking down the stack of coils you can see how far towards center (or not) the top coil sits in relation to the remaining coils.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Does this help:

Yes, thanks! Looks like it’s a lot less likely to be an issue, but the lack of barrel offset might still cause issues. Will have to keep an eye out and see if anyone tries them with 034 mounts to confirm fitment, but I’ll probably go another direction this time around.

I appreciate the help!