GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Roll-Control Lowering Springs for the 2015-21 VW GTI (MK7 / MK7.5)

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
"car low. spring good"
doge.jpg

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I've only tested these on the stock shocks and struts.
Shouldn't we not use stock shocks on lowering springs because of the reduced stroke? Stock shocks will wear out quick on lowering springs is what I always read.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
We've sold lowering springs for many years at this point. I can't say I've actually ever seen any go out. We're not going extremely low on these either. Dinan Engineering also operates out of the same building as APR and has a longer history in the lowering spring and suspension market. 30+ years. They do not see factory shock failures either on modern vehicles (~15+ years). That's not to say there aren't benefits to upgraded shocks and struts, but they aren't required.

Slipstream

loweritonh&rsports.com
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Are all the measurements/photos of a DSG car? Is there any recommendation, eg the Audi TT pads, for 6MT cars to avoid reverse rake?

I'd be curious to know how these look on a 6MT car too. If they already have a slight rear rake on DSG, 6MTs are likely going to be more noticeable.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Shouldn't we not use stock shocks on lowering springs because of the reduced stroke? Stock shocks will wear out quick on lowering springs is what I always read.
I have always not understood why a shorter spring causes any issues - the damper doesn't care how long your spring is beyond the pre-load issue of keeping it seated. It's likely more related to the higher spring rate putting more stress on it is really all. Like opening our hatch really hard vs. softly shortening the life of the prop-struts.

I hit on this in my video:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I mean, you all can do whatever you want, but I can say that my EMD springs (linear spring, btw) had my stock dampers clapped out after 45k miles. Heck, my stock dampers on stock springs on my MKV were shot at 90k and it wasn't even lowered. So to say that dampers generally last the life of the car and never need changed, including being lowered, is pretty wild in my opinion.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I mean, you all can do whatever you want, but I can say that my EMD springs (linear spring, btw) had my stock dampers clapped out after 45k miles. Heck, my stock dampers on stock springs on my MKV were shot at 90k and it wasn't even lowered. So to say that dampers generally last the life of the car and never need changed, including being lowered, is pretty wild in my opinion.
The dampers in my video were "like new" (to me) after ~45K or whatever it was with half of that on H&Rs. Stock dampers are probably running at reduced rate on stock springs a lot sooner than folks realize. Linear or not should have no bearing on that. These APR springs are working as a single-rate linear spring most of the time, it's not like they are continuously progressive...it's just 2 rates....1 you are in all the time, and 1 for the dead coils that you only "see" when you are at full extension. Unless oil is leaking out, I can't see how a damper "wears out"...the orifice the oil flows through doesn't get wider..hahaha

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The dampers in my video were "like new" (to me) after ~45K or whatever it was with half of that on H&Rs. Stock dampers are probably running at reduced rate on stock springs a lot sooner than folks realize. Linear or not should have no bearing on that. These APR springs are working as a single-rate linear spring most of the time, it's not like they are continuously progressive...it's just 2 rates....1 you are in all the time, and 1 for the dead coils that you only "see" when you are at full extension. Unless oil is leaking out, I can't see how a damper "wears out"...the orifice the oil flows through doesn't get wider..hahaha
I only mentioned the linear part because it's a detail pretty unique to the EMD springs. I doubt it makes much of a difference. We just replaced the shocks in my wife's Honda Fit at 120k miles for the same reason. Noticeably deteriorated ride quality with no signs of oil leaking.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I only mentioned the linear part because it's a detail pretty unique to the EMD springs. I doubt it makes much of a difference. We just replaced the shocks in my wife's Honda Fit at 120k miles for the same reason. Noticeably deteriorated ride quality with no signs of oil leaking.
Don't disagree - they are not a life part for sure.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
For anyone interested: these things are no good if you have camber top mounts. These springs are fucking massive compared to stock. You lose a solid 10+mm of inner fender clearance right where you need it.

IMG_7127.jpeg

The barrel is not offset at all like an OEM spring.

IMG_7119.jpeg

And it contacts the inner fender. Before you even try to get the knuckle on. Which requires it to be pushed even further inwards.

IMG_7125.jpeg

I know APR doesn’t sell offset mounts, but this seems like an oversight when marketed as a performance spring on a platform that has multiple offset upper mount options on the market. I’m not a manufacturer but if I were specing out a spring, I’d probably check fitment of some related popular parts first.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
For anyone interested: these things are no good if you have camber top mounts. These springs are fucking massive compared to stock. You lose a solid 10+mm of inner fender clearance right where you need it.

View attachment 298221

The barrel is not offset at all like an OEM spring.

View attachment 298222

And it contacts the inner fender. Before you even try to get the knuckle on. Which requires it to be pushed even further inwards.

View attachment 298223

I know APR doesn’t sell offset mounts, but this seems like an oversight when marketed as a performance spring on a platform that has multiple offset upper mount options on the market. I’m not a manufacturer but if I were specing out a spring, I’d probably check fitment of some related popular parts first.
Wow...yeah really wide. The H&Rs don't rub with my Eurosport mounts. I don't think most of them will/are large around like this for the fronts. Reminds me of the 034 ball joints when I ask them on their weekly live session yesterday about why not make some that have more clearance for BBKs...they just can't make them to fit all situations was their response (makes sense). This surprises me though, I mean, why make them wider? I realize this is a variable to control rate/spring design but I don't think anyone else does that (not have OE-size springs). Bummer b/c the APR rates look good.

Last edited:

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I'm going to go ahead and just install them anyway... hoping that at ride height, with the camber lower ball joints they move the coils away far enough from the body to not hit under normal circumstances. It really sucks because I feel like these are pretty decent rate and drop wise. Just really pissed about blowing $70 in hardware to potentially have to rip it apart again if it doesn't work out.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm going to go ahead and just install them anyway... hoping that at ride height, with the camber lower ball joints they move the coils away far enough from the body to not hit under normal circumstances. It really sucks because I feel like these are pretty decent rate and drop wise. Just really pissed about blowing $70 in hardware to potentially have to rip it apart again if it doesn't work out.
At least you have that parys spreadsheet tho

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Follow-up video: confirmed they rub like a SOB when “fully” installed.

https://youtube.com/shorts/1GzJGgYVx7Y?si=rIHdFnHqm5j7Pw6F

I’m over it now. I know it’s not APR’s “responsibility” to ensure fitment with stuff they don’t sell, but the whole situation (including other unrelated shit that went wrong/was found wrong in this entire suspension refresh) just pisses me off.

@Arin@APR - any idea if your MK8 R or GTI springs have the same issue?