GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the MK7 GTI ECU Upgrade!

Ian2

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Now I just need to convince SWMBO that it's a good idea to get the car remapped.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
OMG. How many times can Arin answer this question. If you are that paranoid, then this is not the product for you. Assume the worst, VW will find out. Are you still in? You are looking for reassurance that you will never get.

I apologize. I understand the risks. I just want to know what to expect by gathering as much info as I can.

Once again, I apologize as I can understand how much of a broken record people like me can sound.

Doogz

Hi all

Long time reader, first time poster ...

Arin, do you exercise any kind of control over pricing outside USA?

The $AUD price of a MK7 update is $1650 here in AUS, and $1495 for MK6. This is very very hard to stomach when the list price is $699 and $599 in USA and the Aussie dollar is not far off parity. Arin, does the AU importer have to do anything to validate your ROW software in the AU market? I mean, do they have to test end report back to head office, or is all that done and they just resell a finished product?

You might flag taxes and duties? Our GST is 10%, and import duty would be 5%. This is a maximum of $250 ... but duty is on the wholesale cost not RRP, so the tax take is much lesser than this. We have a free trade agreement with USA - designed to open up flow, not restrict it ... and given this is software (with respect!) you can set the base value for tax purposes at whatever you like.

Is the "wholesale" cost roughly parity for ROW? It seems to me the AU importer is charging the absolute maximum the market might bare, but I'd say this is really costing APR as a global brand penetration into the AU market. Let's face it if you halve the price I think you'd more than double the sales thus improving your net position ...

Arin, can you please provide more detail on this issue - hopefully more than "AU is free to set whatever pricing they please"? :) I'm positive that if APR Head Office exerted some influence to remove the "Australia tax" that your sales here would improve significantly ... surely this is of interest?

Cheers

Doogz

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Here's another one. This one did ~350 HP and has our Stage 1 ECU upgrade with an intercooler and exhaust.

kevinm1

Ready to race!
Hi Arin,

Is the standard intercooler holding the car back at stage 1? Summer ambient temps where I am are in the low 20's C.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
AWESOME!

...and VW will never see it in my ECU history/flash counter/such?

History, no - there isn't one. Counter, yes. We reset the counter with the APR flash, but keep in mind the techs don't have a history of what it should be.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Just out of interest - would a customer be charged for a flash back to stock and subsequently back to the APR map following a service?

By APR, no. By a dealer? It's up to them. Some charge labor for the time, but not for the flash itself. Once you own APR software, it stays with you for the ownership of the car / vin.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Hi all

Long time reader, first time poster ...

Arin, do you exercise any kind of control over pricing outside USA?

We don't. Pricing is set by the importer. Their pricing depends on the market / fees / duties / etc that they encounter. It also plays into the cost necessary to have an APR support network in a country outside of the USA. They are responsible for paying all marketing bills, setting up shops and dealers to support APR software across the country, hosting events, shows, and more. They pay for extra employees to be APR specific, with knowledge about our products, roaming the forums answering questions, attending tracking events to show off the product in your home land, and so forth. Now, trust me, we are fully aware to some of you this simply doesn't matter. You just want the software and don't care about everything else going on, and I totally understand that. But, there's a lot more of the "big pictures" stuff often going on in the background that plays in to the pricing and why APR is so successful in other regions of the world. While I'm sure that's not the answer everyone wants to hear, I hope it does shed some light on the subject and make sense.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Hi Arin,

Is the standard intercooler holding the car back at stage 1? Summer ambient temps where I am are in the low 20's C.

Yes! The standard unit, even on stock software, is too "economical" so to speak. It does a good job for what it is, but there's loads of room for improvement. We're working on a new unit that will really help keep power consistent, lap after lap, especially once APR software is installed.

Keep an eye out! We're currently testing several different core sizes / fin densities to get the perfect combination.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Just out of interest - would a customer be charged for a flash back to stock and subsequently back to the APR map following a service?

To tack on to what Arin said, my APR dealer here charges CDN$50 for a flash to stock.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Here are a bunch of turbo sizes for comparison.

Keep in mind I hand measured some of these so they may be just slightly off.

MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T EA113
Borg Warner
6/6 Blade Cast Compressor Wheel & 11 Blade Turbine Wheel
41 mm Inducer / 54 mm Exducer - Compressor
40 mm Inducer / 45 mm Exducer - Turbine

MK6 Golf GTI 2.0T EA888 Gen 1
IHI
6/6 Blade Cast Compressor Wheel & 8 Blade Turbine Wheel
40.2 mm Inducer / 52.5 mm Exducer - Compressor
41.0 mm Inducer / 45.0 mm Exducer - Turbine

MK6 Jetta GLI 2.0T EA888 Gen 3
Honeywell