GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone using their paddles?

REGS12

REGS12
Use paddles all of the time when driving in the hills. DSG can't predict the correct gear for the situation until the condition is actually upon it . With the GTI, this means that it will attempt to pull away from a corner on an uphill slope in 5th or 6th gear. It's far more pleasant to be in 4th early. Saves that moment of labouring.

raptor2

I haven't got paddle but does anyone know why on a DSG box the + and - to go and down using the gear lever are the wrong way round. On a ZF box to go up one pulls backwards to go down one pushes forward trust VW to have them back to front.

Barb351

Ready to race!
I only seem to use them for downshifting before overtaking. Is more controlled by downshifting before the overtake than using the kick down.

raptor2

I agree paddles are good for overtaking and I can pull back on the gear lever from to overtake but then I still have to change up letting the DSG box to it sometimes it would be good to drive using the gear lever on a good road.

zgap101

Ready to race!
Only use the paddles to intervene - hills and overtaking.
Otherwise, I just leave it alone...

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Overtaking and decelerating when approaching lower speed limits, that's all.

stevew09

Ready to race!
Same here, I use mine for overtaking (coming from a manual it feels more natural than using kickdown) and also for hills.

psquared2

Ready to race!
I haven't got paddle but does anyone know why on a DSG box the + and - to go and down using the gear lever are the wrong way round. On a ZF box to go up one pulls backwards to go down one pushes forward trust VW to have them back to front.

Don't see the problem unless you are a long time driver of a ZF box perhaps. And manuals are changed up and down in both directions. If using the DSG in manual I prefer the stick cause it is always in the same place, unlike the paddles.

codz

Passed Driver's Ed
I use the paddles mostly in city when I found the revs too low, I change down from D6/D7 to 4/5 or I drive in S and I change up from S3 to 4

Imho paddles are much more easy to use than the gear lever in M mode

reid

Passed Driver's Ed
Having driven all manner of paddle-shift slushboxes and BMW SMG,DCT and VAG DSG 'boxes, that's why I'd never buy anything but a manual. The novelty wears off after awhile because the automatic shifts just as well 98% of the time... except for the times when you WISH you had been manual shifting the whole time, because suddenly you're in the wrong gear!

And the paddles never give you the tactile enjoyment of working a clutch and shifter.

Plus, I don't want to spend a dime giving the automakers the idea that killing the manual is acceptable.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
What - a Septic wanting a manual car, surely not?

DW58

Go Kart Champion

Sandweiler

Passed Driver's Ed
Having driven all manner of paddle-shift slushboxes and BMW SMG,DCT and VAG DSG 'boxes, that's why I'd never buy anything but a manual. The novelty wears off after awhile because the automatic shifts just as well 98% of the time... except for the times when you WISH you had been manual shifting the whole time, because suddenly you're in the wrong gear!

And the paddles never give you the tactile enjoyment of working a clutch and shifter.

Plus, I don't want to spend a dime giving the automakers the idea that killing the manual is acceptable.

Assuming you are a man, unfortunately I will not kiss you since I prefer women :D but THANK YOU for saying that and thinking that !!!!!!
100% agree, no sorry 200% agree :)