GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone using their paddles?

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I certainly plan on using mine when they arrive.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Of course not, it's a 7 speed gearbox. Give it time.

Surely DSG doesn't need time, it can change up/down faster than you can make the decision and act upon it, that's the whole point of the dual-clutch principal.

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!
Very useful downhill to brake the engine by downshifting and save the brake pads...

dadu

Ready to race!
It's not easy going from 5/6 to 7 speed gearbox. Usually, downshifting is the main issue.

@GTI-7: I'm a convinced user of that (it's probably the right way to drive a car) but I really wonder how it will work on long term for DSG7...

finallyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm using mine quite a lot. Gear decisions were never a problem for me. The only thing I hated is longer time to downshift but then I realized it can be far more quicker if accelerator pedal is released. And now I really like my first DSG.

Option155

Passed Driver's Ed
I use mine a bit if I want to force it into 7th when just cruising along at 40/50 and it's in 5th. Otherwise when I want to really drop a few gears to overtake but don't have time to go into sport mode. I like that fact that it reverts to whatever driving mode you were in afterwards. I'm using economy nearly all the time and getting 45mpg

Stripey

Ready to race!
I dont use mine very much. I just dont really need to use them as leaving as an automatic it changes gear at the right time.....as you would expect! If i need it to change down to accelerate quicker i will either press the accelerator harder or knock into sport mode temporarily. Which (on the subject of knocking into sport mode) i find very useful and do it several times during every journey and is the closest i need to get to changing gears manually.

One thing often overlooked by manufacturers (which has also been picked up by journalists) is that its perhaps better to have the paddles attached to the console rather than the steering wheel because it makes it easier to change whilst cornering.

Anayat

Ready to race!
I only ever use the paddles, more enjoyable and because I have the SE I actually paid for the paddles so may as well make use of them.

Gignomeus

Ready to race!
I thought I would use them a fair bit before my car arrived, but so far I've not really found the right roads to give them a go on.

Pretty pointless for fast acceleration in my GTD too because, well:

1st == 0-10mph
2nd == 10-40mph
3rd == 40-70mph

and unless I'm starting from a complete stop the car will have already stuck it in 2nd so all I really get to do on a drag race to 70mph is one gear shift :(

:D:D:D
GTD == awesome
:D:D:D