GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone tried the Öhlins coilovers?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Scoffing at the price of $3K coils? You can get coils for 1K that are 75-85% as good as the ohlins, for 66% less money.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
You can also buy a $4k exhaust for the car. $3k for something that actually helps really isn't a lot at that point.

dude are you serious? just because someone can spend 4K on an exhaust doesn't mean that 3K for coils isn't still 3K. That's 10-15% the cost of the whole car. but i realize there's lots of uber expensive things people can spend their money on to turn their hatchbacks into racecars, doesn't mean it's not stupid to do so

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
dude are you serious? just because someone can spend 4K on an exhaust doesn't mean that 3K for coils isn't still 3K. That's 10-15% the cost of the whole car. but i realize there's lots of uber expensive things people can spend their money on to turn their hatchbacks into racecars, doesn't mean it's not stupid to do so

Seems like you haven't ridden on $1k vs $3k coils. There is a major difference. Remember not everyone sees money the same, and some people make far more than others. Also just cause people want to spend money in different ways than you doesn't make it stupid.

Last edited:

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I expected the ride to be compromised, along with an increase in road noise. I was warned away from the front shock mounts on the grounds that they would introduce unwanted NVH. The pleasant and unexpected consequence of everything is that my car actually rides better than before (I was on VWR springs and stock shocks). It’s all quieter and tidier when just going about the day to day business of getting around. This is like the Holy Grail!

Went from springs that are 'engineered for stock struts but are causing tons of early stock strut failure' (and rode like wet turds on my own car FYI) to Ohlins and it's "like the Holy Grail."

No shit!

emanon

Ready to race!
Went from springs that are 'engineered for stock struts but are causing tons of early stock strut failure' (and rode like wet turds on my own car FYI) to Ohlins and it's "like the Holy Grail."

No shit!

Not just that, he also bought about the best off the shelf setup money can buy.

They should be good, but at least you're getting what you paid for.

I see a set in my future.

ILoveButter

Ready to race!
Scoffing at the price of $3K coils? You can get coils for 1K that are 75-85% as good as the ohlins, for 66% less money. C'mon man.

Sorry man, but most 1k coilovers arnt even digressive, also at that price they are very basic. What I mean is the company didnt do very much r&d on the car, many times the valving would be the same as another car that is similar. Or they are rebranded low end coilovers. So it's more like 50% as good.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I had some broadway statics (Fortune Auto) on my E46M after buying the car with some FK Silverlines, and I'll tell you they were worth every fucking nickel. I'm probably going to throw some broadways at the MK7 when it's time for new wheels.