GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone trade their mk7 for something more comfortable?

sjnbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't know if I'm just getting old but I'm getting tired of my MK7's rough suspension. In stock form it's rougher than lowered cars I've had in the past. Suspension is all stock besides a 034 RSB and 245/40/18 tires. Anyone trade for something more comfortable. If so, which car? I'm having a difficult time leaving the manual transmission.

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
how old are your shocks?

I know it does have a short wheel base so that will almost always create a choppy ride

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I went from lowered Golf R (Eibach springs) to an M2 Competition. The M2 is a little better but I’m getting softer springs anyway, as the stock springs are a little harsh. It’s a huge improvement at higher speeds.

sjnbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
I went from lowered Golf R (Eibach springs) to an M2 Competition. The M2 is a little better but I’m getting softer springs anyway, as the stock springs are a little harsh. It’s a huge improvement at higher speeds.
Actually surprised the M2 is an improvement because all reviewers say its harsh and MK7's are comfortable.

sjnbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
were the packing pucks ever removed from your suspension? My OEM suspension was UBER comfy.....something ain't right here
I was hoping the same but I checked a few years ago and confirmed no shipping pucks.
You could also consider sizing down to 17s. Made a night and day difference for me.
I've considered this but don't like the look. Are you running 245/45's?

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
I downsized to 17" wheels, granted for different reasons, but it definitely rides nicer on them. I switched back to my 18s for winter and have been cursing them over bumps haha. Koni Special Active dampers might help too, I have those paired with eibach springs on my car and most of the time it feels more comfortable (the exception being huge bumps), I think with stock springs you'd have a really comfortable combo.

As far as comfier manual cars go, I have a B8.5 A4 6MT as my daily/commuter and I love it. even on big 19" wheels with factory sport suspension it's far more comfortable than my GTI. If you were to go A4, I'd recommend the gen after mine (B9) you could get a 6MT for 2017 and 2018. But there really isn't much else out there.

RE: M2 Comp, I have driven a few of these and the GTI (to me anyways) is definitely more comfortable, but darn the M2C is an amazing piece of kit haha

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I was hoping the same but I checked a few years ago and confirmed no shipping pucks.

I've considered this but don't like the look. Are you running 245/45's?
245/40R17 or 255/40R17 depending on which wheels were on mine - the SM10s I had were on 255/40R17, but I've got VS5RS's now on 245/40R17.

sjnbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
I downsized to 17" wheels, granted for different reasons, but it definitely rides nicer on them. I switched back to my 18s for winter and have been cursing them over bumps haha. Koni Special Active dampers might help too, I have those paired with eibach springs on my car and most of the time it feels more comfortable (the exception being huge bumps), I think with stock springs you'd have a really comfortable combo.

As far as comfier manual cars go, I have a B8.5 A4 6MT as my daily/commuter and I love it. even on big 19" wheels with factory sport suspension it's far more comfortable than my GTI. If you were to go A4, I'd recommend the gen after mine (B9) you could get a 6MT for 2017 and 2018. But there really isn't much else out there.

RE: M2 Comp, I have driven a few of these and the GTI (to me anyways) is definitely more comfortable, but darn the M2C is an amazing piece of kit haha
The b9 A4 is a great idea but from what I've seen are super rare. It seems like finding a newer car with a manual that won't break my back is getting more difficult. I'll add it to the list thanks.