GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running H&R Street Performance coilovers?

greatoz

Ready to race!
I'm a bit confused - looking for clarification.

H&R lists the same part # (28851-11) for both Golf and GTI applications. They also list the drop as 1.5" - 2.3" up front and 1.1" - 2.0" in the rear.

Currently I'm on VWR springs and stock dampers and about 1.2" down - perfect drop, IMO, and with the wheels I run (RSe10's in 18x8.5 and Michelin PSS in 235/40R18, I had the tiniest bit of rub at full travel - fixed it by doing the screw mod. Ride's rough for a number of reasons - stiff sidewalls, lowering springs and stock dampers (and I don't care who says VWR matched these to the OE dampers, on some roads I pogo like a cracked out clown).

I reached out to a respected member here and asked something along the lines of:

Hey, the car's a DD w/ MAYBE 5% tracktime, so I'm after a modest drop not to exceed the drop I've already got - can you recommend a coilover? Looking Bilstein B16's, H&R Street Performance or KW Street Comfort".

He recommended the H&Rs.

Now for a little math and assumptions.

If we assume H&R is talking ride height up front at 1.5" on a GOLF, that's a 38.1mm drop initially.

If you take the 15mm the GTI rides lower than the Golf, then the drop should be / may be / could be the difference between the two - in other words you end up with an overall drop on a GTI of MINUS the 15mm the GTI's already lower, for a 23mm minimum drop on a GTI.

That's about .9 inches and would totally work, I could actually wrench them down a bit to get back to my 30mm / 1.2" current low over stock.

So does anyone actually run these coilovers and have stock fender to ground and post-install fender to ground measurements to back my theory up with facts?

Again, the car's a DD and I don't give a sh*t about ZOMG SO LOW, I want comfortable riding lowering with the benefits coilovers bring to the party.

Much appreciated!

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
RJ...your thoughts on Vogtland for $800?

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
RJ...your thoughts on Vogtland for $800?

They can be had for about $650 if you look around. I rode in a tuned MK7 Golf TSI with the Vogtlands and they actually ride pretty good for the price. They were def too soft for any track/autox duty though.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
They can be had for about $650 if you look around. I rode in a tuned MK7 Golf TSI with the Vogtlands and they actually ride pretty good for the price. They were def too soft for any track/autox duty though.
Thanks man! For just basic hooning and backroad shenanigans how would they fair?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Not sure how you came to this conclusion :confused:. The H&R's uses a longer and softer spring for a longer stroke and its dampers are make by Bilstein. You're comparing a Taiwanese/Chinese coilover to a German made unit too.

I was referring to the ride quality/comfort, in case you missed it.
You're into tracking though, so of course you're gonna go with the stiffer option/Bilstein (no offense)

But for a DD, the HPA SHS's are the better option to get it a little lower but still retain comfort.

KW's are a Taiwanese/Chinese coilover?
Either way if they are, they're more comfort friendly than any H&R products I've had/tried on any newer VW's I've had.

For example, this past summer, my buddy with a CC had the HPA SHS's on it and loved it (per my recommendation), but wanted just a hair lower. So he spent $1300 on a set of the H&R's (performance, not Ultra Lows)....not even a couple days later he texts me and tells me how stiff they are and he hates them. Needless to say, he went back to his SHS's on his DD.

While they are identical in construction to the V1's and the (non stainless) ST's....they have a slight edge in the ride comfort department though

Which are essentially rebranded ST's & would be almost identical to the HPA SHS's I recommended (although not stainless)

And what you define as "too soft" might be perfect for most of the guys just DD-ing their car & want to lower it (with height adjustability)

Last edited:

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
I was referring to the ride quality/comfort, in case you missed it.
You're into tracking though, so of course you're gonna go with the stiffer option/Bilstein (no offense)

But for a DD, the HPA SHS's are the better option to get it a little lower but still retain comfort.

KW's are a Taiwanese/Chinese coilover?
Either way if they are, they're more comfort friendly than any H&R products I've had/tried on any newer VW's I've had.

For example, this past summer, my buddy with a CC had the HPA SHS's on it and loved it (per my recommendation), but wanted just a hair lower. So he spent $1300 on a set of the H&R's (performance, not Ultra Lows)....not even a couple days later he texts me and tells me how stiff they are and he hates them. Needless to say, he went back to his SHS's on his DD.

While they are identical in construction to the V1's and the (non stainless) ST's....they have a slight edge in the ride comfort department though

Which are essentially rebranded ST's & would be almost identical to the HPA SHS's I recommended (although not stainless)

And what you define as "too soft" might be perfect for most of the guys just DD-ing their car & want to lower it (with height adjustability)

Please understand that H&R just started using new dampers and spring rates a couple years ago, right around the time that the MK7 lineup was released. You're comparing suspension products from prior models and the H&R Street Coilovers share do not one part with the units from yesteryear. I don't own H&R's so I have no reason to be biased, I'm telling you from real world experiences and time behind the drivers seat as to how these ride. I do own Bilstein adjustable coilovers and they are much less forgiving on the streets even in their softest setting.

You have your facts a little backwards too. KW does not rebrand its lineup, a KW product is only made in Europe and does not physically share any parts with any of its subsidiary brands. Now their sister budget brand, ST, is manufactured in Taiwan and China, were some of the KW engineering technologies are used in designing the coilovers for companies like HPA and Vogtland... but none of them are made in the same factory (or even on the same continent) or are made to the exact same specifications as KW. You are essentially buying a rebranded ST with a different finish and stickers, that is all. Now all of these companies fall under the KW ownership but they are not created equally and don't physically share any parts, you have fallen for HPA's marketing if you believe otherwise.

Yomny1

Ready to race!
Please understand that H&R just started using new dampers and spring rates a couple years ago, right around the time that the MK7 lineup was released. You're comparing suspension products from prior models and the H&R Street Coilovers share do not one part with the units from yesteryear. I don't own H&R's so I have no reason to be biased, I'm telling you from real world experiences and time behind the drivers seat as to how these ride. I do own Bilstein adjustable coilovers and they are much less forgiving on the streets even in their softest setting.

You have your facts a little backwards too. KW does not rebrand its lineup, a KW product is only made in Europe and does not physically share any parts with any of its subsidiary brands. Now their sister budget brand, ST, is manufactured in Taiwan and China, were some of the KW engineering technologies are used in designing the coilovers for companies like HPA and Vogtland... but none of them are made in the same factory (or even on the same continent) or are made to the exact same specifications as KW. You are essentially buying a rebranded ST with a different finish and stickers, that is all. Now all of these companies fall under the KW ownership but they are not created equally and don't physically share any parts, you have fallen for HPA's marketing if you believe otherwise.

I just don't know anymore with all these rebranded KW guys and all the other rebranded Japanese look alike.. its tough making an informed decision. What do you suggest for entry level street use, maybe a track day or two a year. I don't mind spending money just want to spend it wisely and most sites don't give good info just window display type of descriptions.
I was considering the entry PSS14 but have heard they're not as compliant or forgiving. I don't mind having fixed valving but wouldn't mind having 1 way if offered. I've read those 30+ click adjustable kits aren't that great either? Thanks for your help in advance.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
I just don't know anymore with all these rebranded KW guys and all the other rebranded Japanese look alike.. its tough making an informed decision. What do you suggest for entry level street use, maybe a track day or two a year. I don't mind spending money just want to spend it wisely and most sites don't give good info just window display type of descriptions.
I was considering the entry PSS14 but have heard they're not as compliant or forgiving. I don't mind having fixed valving but wouldn't mind having 1 way if offered. I've read those 30+ click adjustable kits aren't that great either? Thanks for your help in advance.

The PSS are more than manageable on the street, but I agree they are not very forgiving. Go H&R Street coils, it's the most balanced set of coilovers available under $1,500. Ride quality is really good and they still have proper dampers and spring rates that will hold your line in a turn pretty well.

mach128x

H&R lists the same part # (28851-11) for both Golf and GTI applications. They also list the drop as 1.5" - 2.3" up front and 1.1" - 2.0" in the rear.

BTW that is incorrect. The H&R Street Performance for the GTI indeed is P/N# 28851-11 (with 55mm front strut).
For the Golf (50mm front strut e.g. 1.8 TSI), the correct P/N# is 28851-2.

Just for the record ;)

Oh and my H&R Street Perf kit (TSI) is in the mail as we speak.

Yomny1

Ready to race!
The PSS are more than manageable on the street, but I agree they are not very forgiving. Go H&R Street coils, it's the most balanced set of coilovers available under $1,500. Ride quality is really good and they still have proper dampers and spring rates that will hold your line in a turn pretty well.

Appreciate your feedback, I was always under the opposite impression, not sure why.
Do these suffer from the dead coil binding noises or is this something related to all coilovers and basically shot in the dark regardless of which kit I decide on? Always read mixed feedback on this issue, some people have it with springs other with coilovers. At the moment I have VWR springs and they're dead silent. Is this is issue more prone with linear(not rate related) coils as some coilovers have or the bigger/fatter oe style springs?

Last edited:

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
VWR also makes excellent coilovers and supposedly they are by AST