GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone lower their experience package?

MeRP2S

Ready to race!
As the title states. My previous GTI was lowered roughly about 1.2 inches all around and made the car look “meaner” because it lost the wheel gap. My problem is with the new GTI I have, it comes with DCC (which is awesome with stock springs btw) has anyone lowered their GTI or R with DCC? If so, how was the ride quality like? Any huge differences? I usually ride in Comfort mode and it’s super smooth. Ideally I would like to lower the car but still have the functionally of the DCC (in comfort, eco, normal, etc.) but am afraid that it would essentially make the DCC “worthless” as it may just make the car just stiffer. Apologies if this has been asked before, figured I’d ask and get opinions than dig through all the threads.
Thank for reading!

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Yes, there has been plenty of people with DCC that have lowered their cars. You don't have to dig through endless threads, just use the SEARCH function on here in the Wheels/Tires/Suspension thread.

MeRP2S

Ready to race!
Thanks for input guys. I’ll be checking it out. Definitely want to lower the car but want to research the experiences people have had that decided to lower their DCC cars 👍🏽

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Im going to go with VWR springs because of the DCC dampers on my car. The rate will be stiffer to compensate for the reduced travel though. I've never driven mine in anything other than sport mode. It really is personal preference with ride quality.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
I’d go with DG springs from VW. They are technically for a golf but work perfectly on a gti and the sits just right without hurting your dcc dampers. The car will be a bit stiffer but the different modes will still work well. I wanted to go VWR because they are a tad lower but read people having issues with worn out dampers prematurely (dcc cars mainly).

MeRP2S

Ready to race!
One of my major concerns is having the dampers go out prematurely because of lowering springs. I’ll have to be thinking about how I’d want to proceed. The ride height stock is fine, I just don’t like that big wheel gap which is what I’m trying to get rid of but might hold off. Thought of getting eibach sport line springs, the website says it drops ~1.7in both front and rear. Feel dropping it that much will make the ride way stiffer thus making DCC just act as normal/sport like a regular GTI non DCC. That’s me speculating, for all I know I might be wrong but from what I’ve read so far, that’s what I’m thinking

sunnysingh

One of my major concerns is having the dampers go out prematurely because of lowering springs. I’ll have to be thinking about how I’d want to proceed. The ride height stock is fine, I just don’t like that big wheel gap which is what I’m trying to get rid of but might hold off. Thought of getting eibach sport line springs, the website says it drops ~1.7in both front and rear. Feel dropping it that much will make the ride way stiffer thus making DCC just act as normal/sport like a regular GTI non DCC. That’s me speculating, for all I know I might be wrong but from what I’ve read so far, that’s what I’m thinking
Have you considered H&R OE Springs? I installed a set yesterday on my 2015 GTI and I regret holding off for so long. The ride is smoother and less firm than stock, I only wanted a mild drop since my wife drives it daily. The drop isn't as aggressive as VW Racing or Eibach springs, I honestly think this is how the car should have come from factory.

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
If you lower your car on stock shocks, you will diminish the life of your dampers period. All lowering springs are compatible with the stock DCC dampers. General rule is to not go much lower than an inch or inch and a half. I'm on OEM DG springs with DCC, but my car only has 12,000 miles so far. 10,000 of those miles lowered. No issues just yet.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
If you lower your car on stock shocks, you will diminish the life of your dampers period. All lowering springs are compatible with the stock DCC dampers. General rule is to not go much lower than an inch or inch and a half. I'm on OEM DG springs with DCC, but my car only has 12,000 miles so far. 10,000 of those miles lowered. No issues just yet.
Proof?

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
What do I need to prove? Lowering your car puts more stress on the rest of the suspension components? If we had 2 identical cars except one stock height and the 2nd with lowering springs on factory dampers, and made all the trips through the same roads, I guarantee the lowered vehicle's dampers will wear out sooner. No one can say how long it will take.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
As long as the stock dampers don't bottom out, operating in a slightly different part of their range shouldn't affect the valves or seals. The spring rate aren't increased enough to stress over stress the valves in already adjustable dampers.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Maybe talk to Sandman, he lowered his DCC GTI on springs a few years ago and at this point has 80K+ on stock DCC struts so he should have a good first hand experience that may help you with your decision.