GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone get harsh shadows with a 10mm lens??

Kristian

my name isn't Kristian
Car(s)
Golf 1.4
I've got a Sigma 10-20mm lens.
At night i just use the flash on the camera and most of the time experience a harsh shadow which seems to go from bottom left to bottom right.

Anyone got any ideas?

Mr645

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 R32
The flash is not able to cover the angle captured by the lens. You also can have problems with the lens blocking the flash. You need some type of 180° flash to cover such a wide angle of view

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
If you have an external flash, see if it has a bounce card or diffuser to help spread the light. If it doesn't come with either, get a Sto-Fen Omnibounce (cheap and small) or a Gary Fong Lightsphere (much better IMHO, but looks goofy and is bulky).

VDUBMkV///C

Intergalactic smugness
Car(s)
CW MkV
This happens to me whenever I use the fisheye even with my external flash (which is a shitty sunpack). Wouldn't a diffuser help out with spreading the light?

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Yes, but the diffuser will eat up quite a bit of the flash power, so you either need to crank up the power, ISO, or live with a shorter flash range.

The diffuser built into the flash may not be able to cope with the extreme field of view of the fisheye. You may need something like the Omnibounce or Lightsphere which can spread the light much further.

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
It has less to do with the lens then with the Flash power, camera settings, distance from subject and situation. It's a combination of these settings. If you don't want to get an external flash you should try one of these: Gary Fong Puffer, but there are cheaper versions also. Also play with bouncing flash if you get an external one. I find that the diffuser (Stoffen-type) do not "eat up" enough of the flash power. Even at 1/128th power it's still too much.

Not shooting Auto/AV helps also, not sure what mode you shoot in.