GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

anyone else struggling with modding?

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
so i just got my mk7 2 weeks ago roughly after having a used mk6. its brand new off hte lot still has the new car smell. and im finding it really hard to start modding. of course i want to do the (tune, coils, engine mounts, CAI, full exhaust and all that) but im for some reason just cant i dont wanna ruin the warranty on it. anyone else having this issue?

I feel exactly the same way except I don't feel bad about it! I've had this discussin with a buddy of mine who also has a new Mk7 and we both had heavily modded Mk6 GTI.

The Mk7 is damned near perfect out of the box!!! Yes it sits a bit too high but the balance and suspension feel is perfect so why mess with that?! Most aftermarket suspension parts are not going to make it better for the majority of the driving you do, and you are kidding yourself if you believe they will.

The wheels...now that's all about style but they aren't even that heavy anymore. 25 lb/wheel is not bad at all and the stock wheels are tough as a tank!

Adding stupid eyelids, extended spoilers, and other "stick on" parts... This will offend some but I don't care. This is a near luxury European hatchback that feels and rides like a near lux sedan. Why oh why would anyone "rice" it out like a 5 year old Civic or Mazdaspeed3??? I can't get over that...

The exhaust...here is where you can upgrade. The stock exhaust is quiet but some like that. A high quality CBE would make it sound awesome or better yet a full turbo back exhaust and go Stage 2. Don't skip the cat, get the cat and thank me later.

Intake...not really needed at all but I understand wanting a bit more intake sound.

Tune...a tune truly brings this car to life, reduces oil temps, makes the car easier to drive at low speeds with the added torque and basically gives you a giant killer. The tune is worth it. Then again the stock power is also very good. I was really impressed that my stock Mk7 felt as fast as my full stage 2 mk6.

Ok...I feel better now. :eek:

Silus

Ready to race!
Tune...a tune truly brings this car to life, reduces oil temps, makes the car easier to drive at low speeds with the added torque and basically gives you a giant killer. The tune is worth it. Then again the stock power is also very good. I was really impressed that my stock Mk7 felt as fast as my full stage 2 mk6.
This is where I am truly confused. I almost feel as though the seduction of easy power is so overwhelming people convince themselves that a tune is actually good for the car. Is it really?? If you want the car to last well beyond 100k, would you still advocate for a tune as strongly? This is one of the biggest questions I have. Still a couple months away from my SE PP. I just want the truth, and what compromises are actually made with a tune. I don't think that's talked about enough.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I feel exactly the same way except I don't feel bad about it! I've had this discussin with a buddy of mine who also has a new Mk7 and we both had heavily modded Mk6 GTI.

The Mk7 is damned near perfect out of the box!!! Yes it sits a bit too high but the balance and suspension feel is perfect so why mess with that?! Most aftermarket suspension parts are not going to make it better for the majority of the driving you do, and you are kidding yourself if you believe they will.

The wheels...now that's all about style but they aren't even that heavy anymore. 25 lb/wheel is not bad at all and the stock wheels are tough as a tank!

Adding stupid eyelids, extended spoilers, and other "stick on" parts... This will offend some but I don't care. This is a near luxury European hatchback that feels and rides like a near lux sedan. Why oh why would anyone "rice" it out like a 5 year old Civic or Mazdaspeed3??? I can't get over that...

The exhaust...here is where you can upgrade. The stock exhaust is quiet but some like that. A high quality CBE would make it sound awesome or better yet a full turbo back exhaust and go Stage 2. Don't skip the cat, get the cat and thank me later.

Intake...not really needed at all but I understand wanting a bit more intake sound.

Ok...I feel better now. :eek:

You've also got to ask yourself why are you doing a mod, and what are you going to get out of it?
What does it cost, and are any benefits worth the costs and trade offs?
How do you drive the car? (really drive the car most of the time, not pretend you do so you sound cool on internet forums)
I'll give you an example of something I would like to do, but don't do:
I like the look of the car dropped about an inch on springs - so I would kind of like to do that.
But in the end, It'd cost me a couple of hundred dollars to have the car look cooler - but compromise the ride (and probably induce rattles) over the crappy roads that most of my driving occurs on.
So, I don't do it.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
This is where I am truly confused. I almost feel as though the seduction of easy power is so overwhelming people convince themselves that a tune is actually good for the car. Is it really?? If you want the car to last well beyond 100k, would you still advocate for a tune as strongly? This is one of the biggest questions I have. Still a couple months away from my SE PP. I just want the truth.

The thing to remember about a tune is that once tuned you will need to increase your maintenance, i.e. don't go 10k miles between oil changes, go 5-7k miles on very good synthetic oil. Change/clean your air filters more often and periodically scan your car for problem codes from time to time. Basic stage 1 only cars do not appear to have any additional problems in my experience and are capable of making it well past 100k miles without a problem IF you maintain them well. VW as most euro companies tends to over-engineer their motors and then detune them for various reasons for different markets. They have to assume that the average moron doesn't know about how to properly care for their car, may skip oil changes, etc. so they do not give us the best car possible. I hope that makes some sense.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
This is where I am truly confused. I almost feel as though the seduction of easy power is so overwhelming people convince themselves that a tune is actually good for the car. Is it really?? If you want the car to last well beyond 100k, would you still advocate for a tune as strongly? This is one of the biggest questions I have. Still a couple months away from my SE PP. I just want the truth, and what compromises are actually made with a tune. I don't think that's talked about enough.

This is the debate I tossed around in my head with my MK6 for four years.
a tune is such an easy way to get great gains in performance.
Many people had no problems with tuned MK6's
Then again, many people did.
I noticed that many of the common and less common problems that happened to MK6's were happening to the tuned cars. (Yes, some stock, but mostly tuned.)
If you modify the power output of the engine, you are going to put increased demands on components.
There is no way around that.
Yes, this engine can handle a lot more power than it comes with but the facts are the facts.
My MK7 gives me all the power I could have wished for in my MK6 - and then some.
I don't track the car, and I don't street race it.
I'm not going to be pushing it beyond its stock capabilities.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Then don't mod it.

You've got a great, brand spanking new car.
One of the best cars in its price range on the market.
Why not enjoy the hell out of everything it has to offer you in stock form first, before you start changing things?

If you feel it's not fast enough somewhere down the line, give it a tune.
If you find you want more exhaust sound, give it a catback.

Don't mod your car for the sake of bragging to other people, or having a cool forum signature.

Totally agree and being on forums doesn't help since you want a taste of everything that other people. Have on their cars.

dimitri_92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07' Ram 3500 *4Sale
Some people give advice that is way too critical. If VWR themselves makes a spring that drops the car 1.3 inches the cars shocks can certainly take that. When you tune your car your definitely stretching your engines legs but like a few people said here, they are over engineered. That doesn't mean you should do 30 pulls a week and constantly be pedal to the metal... They're street cars, not race cars. As far as cosmetic mods, it's YOUR car. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bungleaio

Ready to race!
I've done little tweaks to all my cars, the most I did was full suspension tweaks to my impreza, however I enjoyed the car for what it was for a while and then did bits after I'd had it for a while to rejuvenate my interest in the car.

When I get a golf I'm planning on having it for at least 5 years so I will be leaving everything alone for quite a while. I'm currently driving a 1.2 NA 3 cylinder pug 208 which isn't exactly quick so a GTI should feel like a massive upgrade.

If VWR themselves makes a spring that drops the car 1.3 inches the cars shocks can certainly take that.

VWR aren't Volkswagen, they are 3rd party supplier.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
You've also got to ask yourself why are you doing a mod, and what are you going to get out of it?
What does it cost, and are any benefits worth the costs and trade offs?
How do you drive the car? (really drive the car most of the time, not pretend you do so you sound cool on internet forums)
I'll give you an example of something I would like to do, but don't do:
I like the look of the car dropped about an inch on springs - so I would kind of like to do that.
But in the end, It'd cost me a couple of hundred dollars to have the car look cooler - but compromise the ride (and probably induce rattles) over the crappy roads that most of my driving occurs on.
So, I don't do it.

I'm right with you on that, an inch drop would make this car look perfect, but the Mk7 is already lower than the Mk6 was and the look is already "tolerable" to me. Whenever I think it sits too high I remember all the negatives of having a lower car and then I go look at a modern Lexus or Toyota Corolla to see what real wheel gap is :eek:

I went balls out on my Mk6 suspension spending about $2,500 between the VWR coilover fully adjustable system and sway bars... But I justified it because I HATED the stock Mk6 suspension, it was not sporty at all and stanced like a 4x4. In hindsight I went overboard but the new owner has a car ready for the track...

dimitri_92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07' Ram 3500 *4Sale
Smart thinking Jeremy! Doing the same. Patience haha

dimitri_92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07' Ram 3500 *4Sale
VWR aren't Volkswagen, they are 3rd party supplier.

From my understanding they design products that can be used to mod your car without having any issues, no sacrifice. Their R&D for the spring was alongside the stock shocks so it can be used without having any premature life. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!