GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody have any experience with this brake kit?

There are morons braking on rotors that have worn to the vanes, and STILL don't notice a difference. You're not going to notice any difference between any 2 rotors on the street, other than a placebo effect.

The braking would probably be worse on the street, since that $1400 dollar set would probably have high performance pads that won't stop when cold [emoji14]

I 100% agree that drilling, and dare I even say slotted, are old technology that with today's technology, is purely for aesthetics. Almost every race car I see has either blank or J-hook rotors. This ranges from F1 to Indy to LeMans to BTCC to WRC.

99.999% of VW drivers would benefit more from buying blank rotors and spending the money saved on seat time.
Absolutely, pads heat range needs to match the application.

Now that we've cleared all that up, if you just street drive and want the bling for coffee and cars, I see no problem with that. Just don't mistakenly think you've increased braking performance.

And we've only slightly addressed the most important piece of the braking puzzle, the tires.

Here's my son's non-PP car on RE71R's and stock 312mm brakes standing on its nose.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eajr

Go Kart Champion
I just saw a video review for the new Audi R8 Spyder, and thought it was interesting to see that it comes stock with drilled rotors...

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I just saw a video review for the new Audi R8 Spyder, and thought it was interesting to see that it comes stock with drilled rotors...

A lot of high performance cars do, like the Porsche GT series, Nissan Skylines, Lamborghinis, etc... But according to select few VW forum members, that's old technology and doesn't perform better than plain rotors. :rolleyes:

I don't know about you but I would think the engineers of these high performance vehicles would know more.

A lot of high performance cars do, like the Porsche GT series, Nissan Skylines, Lamborghinis, etc... But according to select few VW forum members, that's old technology and doesn't perform better than plain rotors. :rolleyes:

I don't know about you but I would think the engineers of these high performance vehicles would know more.
No, according to every race team and brake manufacture. Street cars don't have the same braking requirements of track cars.

If you want pretty holes in your brakes, they'll sell you what you want, but they don't use them on the race cars. Drilled are fine for street cars and will allow water to evacuate and I guess if you have terrible pads that significantly off gas, but they reduce thermal mass and crack under track use.

It's simple, blank or slotted for track. Blank, drilled, or slotted for the street.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

According to select few VW forum members, engineers who design street based cars and are told by their company to design a car that SELLS know more about brakes than engineers who design race spec cars and are told by their company to design a car that WINS. :rolleyes:

Track spec cars, other than the rare exception, do no run drilled (or even slotted) rotors. They run blank or J-hook rotors. I don't know about you but I would think the engineers of these track performance vehicles would know more and design it to race, not to sell.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Seriously... You guys want to compare Formula 1 cars and their technology, which nobody outside of that can buy, to the general public vehicle is not practical. Just because you guys are weekend warriors and occasionally do an Auto-X event doesn't mean your car will come close to an F1 car or what they go through. You do realize Porsche R&D team tests out their cars at Nürburgring, which is one of, if not the toughest road course in the world. They are not going to put on a rotor just because marketing says so in order to sell the car. Porshce does not need to do that in order to sell cars, same with the other high performance car manufacturers. Yeah, cross-drilled is old technology but it works and has been improved over the years so it is more than just pretty little holes. Every other car manufacturer uses plain rotors because of costs. For street and auto-x, which is what Porsche, GTR Nismo, etc... are meant for, have found that cross-drilled rotors serve a purpose along with everything else for their brakes (calibers, pads, lines). And to say they only put stuff on the car just for marketing is bs. They are not going to use parts that are not functional and can not withstand high abuse. Yeah, I get it, they are not F1 cars but nobody can own one and the closest the general public can get to owning one or driving a car like one is with these high performance street cars. I am not denying the fact that plain rotors are used for racing but those are not the same as what is for sale to us. For street/auto-x, J-hook and cross-drilled would be ideal but I would stay away from slotted and the combo of slotted and cross-drilled. Just my .02 cents and I am done with my daily rant now.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I love the selective blindness. Majority of race teams across all aspects of motorsports gets narrowed down to specifically F1 to make a point that we can't obtain the same technology. Again, majority of race teams, even the lower budget teams tend to avoid cross drilled.

Then, the target gets changed to just street/auto-x. Uhm, why would you need anything more thank a blank rotor for street unless you're doing something highly illegal and putting other people's lives in danger?

You do realize most auto manufacturer's R&D team tests out cars at Nürburgring, not just Porsche, right? Yes, that includes the Golf R running blank rotors.

My last and final point, you don't have to trust me, but here's just a couple articles about it, including one from StopTech:
http://automotivethinker.com/brakes-2/rotors-blank-vs-cross-drilled-vs-slotted-and-warping/
https://www.apcautotech.com/getmedi..._and_APC_Technical_Whitepaper_E1-Glossary.pdf

I'll quote two specific parts about cross drilled rotors:

So why do all those high dollar cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche have drilled rotors? Well, because people think it looks cool. The rotors on those cars fail when pushed hard as well, and the professional race teams that run these cars replace them with non-drilled rotors. If you ever go to the track and find someone pushing a car hard that has cross-drilled rotors, put your ear near one of his wheels and listen carefully when he gets back to the paddock. You will hear small metallic pings and pops as the rotor cools unevenly. What you will be hearing is the sound of the cracks forming…. -- automotivethinker.com

They are still seen (mainly as cosmetic items) on motorbikes and some road going sports cars. Typically in original equipment road car applications these holes are cast then finished machined to provide the best possible conditions by which to resist cracking in use. But they will crack eventually under the circumstances described in another section (see Cracking). -- Centric (parent company of StopTech)

However, like you, just my .02, and if this information doesn't even begin to start changing your mind, I don't think anything else I write will start.

Jersey, you're just wrong. It's well known that drilled rotors crack under heavy use.

Just stop, you look ridiculous. You've obviously never tracked a car before.

We get it, you want the women to drop their panties when they see your awesome rotors, that you run with all season tires, but that's about all they're good for.

Last edited:

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Jersey, you're just wrong. It's well known that drilled rotors crack under heavy use.

Just stop, you look ridiculous. You've obviously never tracked a car before.

We get it, you want the women to drop their panties when they see your awesome rotors, that you run with all season tires, but that's about all they're good for.

Lol... I've tracked plenty back in the day when I was single and didn't have kids and when you were still sucking on your mother's tit and I never needed flashy car parts to get women to drop their panties. What are you, like 12 years old? Let's try to act like adults here when having a debate and not start name calling like fucking kids.

Here's a quote from the Centric article:

"Properly designed, drilled discs tend to operate cooler than non-drilled ventilated discs of the
same design due the higher flow rates through the vents from the supplemental inlets and
increased surface area in the hole. That's right, inlets. The flow is into the hole and out through
the vent to the OD of the disc. If discs are to be drilled, the external edges of the holes must be
chamfered (or, better yet, radiused) and should also be peened."

And the link you provided is to slotted discs so you're contradicting yourself. Anyways, I already upgraded my OEM blanks to a set of some J-hook rotors along with the pads, calipers, lines, fluids, suspension components and summer tires. I already said blanks are used in pro race teams, no denying that. I just find it hard to believe that these high performance car manufacturers use cross-drilled just for marketing purposes.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's talking about rotors that are a combo of slotted with drilled holes which are probably the worst that you can get.

What I said still stands. You can't resurface a rotor that is either slotted and drilled or slotted or drilled. There's a few advantages to slotted drilled rotors but the overriding point for me is I don't want to have to buy new rotors every time I replace pads.