Any regrets with DSG?

greens

Ready to race!
"Hey manual guys can you show me how big your balls are?"

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
No regrets. Drove a manual in city driving years ago: never again.
I use the DSG in all the different modes at various times.
Paddles for fun.
Automatic mode for the stop and go stuff.
When cruising on the Interstate: automatic but down shift with the paddle for passing.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
My bad guys, once the thread took a turn for the worse like it always does I just decided to have fun with it. Guess I took things too far, I apologize. I'm nothing like my internet persona in reality, and should probably start acting more grown up.

Last edited:

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
This question comes down to preference, the best thing for you to do is test drive both and decide which you like better. Personally, when it comes to the GTI I don't regret choosing DSG over manual. But, there is still a part of me that misses manual, I just don't want it in a GTI. At some point in the future I'll probably have a manual 370z with rev match. I see that transmission as the best of both worlds more so than a dual clutch is. Auto rev match brings standard transmissions into the digital age without sacrificing any fun or engagement. If not a 370z I'll have a manual Miata or Fiesta ST (only option anyway). Those are the type of cars that make manual fun and a must-have. IMO, the DSG fits the GTI's personality better than manual. But, again it's all preference.

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
How is a manual "more control"?

Perhaps you'd like a manual choke too - that gave you lots of control over the engine. Wind up windows are good too for control. Carburetors allow more adjustment too.

You can't control the way the clutch engages on DSG, which is sometimes less smooth than a manual would be. But, the biggest factor would probably be no automatic upshifts, you can bounce the rev limiter when necessary on manual, which sometimes you have to on certain autocross courses.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG

depth_charged

Ready to race!
Driving the DSG spiritedly is awesome, driving it around town is a terrible experience IMO. "D" is the bad with it's extremely early shifting (and bad gas mileage), "S" holds gears way too long, and always been in manual mode does not feel great in stop and go traffic.

I like that the DSG agrees with stage 2 power, but I would go manual and stay stock in a heartbeat at this point. It will probably lead to me selling the car.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
"D" nets me the best gas mileage by a pretty wide margin vs. sport or manual.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I don’t think I’d write off DSG completely but the way VW programmed it, it simply sucks for normal every day use. It wants to shift to 6th at 35 mph and car turns into a real dog. Sport mode is little too extreme for daily duties. Something in between would be perfect (without me tuning it and fucking with warranty).
Also crawling in stop’n’go traffic is little annoying with gearbox shifting in and out of gear. This was my experience after couple of days with DSG.
I’d rather have modern ZF 8-speed if I had to pick auto.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
You can't control the way the clutch engages on DSG, which is sometimes less smooth than a manual would be. But, the biggest factor would probably be no automatic upshifts, you can bounce the rev limiter when necessary on manual, which sometimes you have to on certain autocross courses.
TCU tune can fix the upshift issue. But that'll put you out of GS. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk