GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any guesses on the damage amount to this 2019 GTI S?

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
25 mph rear hit pushing it into the car in front. Looking under the rear bumper cover the frame is slightly pushed in. The front clip is pushed in about 1”. Radiator on the drivers side now touches the air box. Those braces behind the headlights are popped up, also bent at the latch spot.

No airbags popped. Just lots of smoosh.

ABC99D05-2760-4AC8-AE12-C57059D2BA05.jpeg

0EDDEF57-AC74-4884-959A-DD404483044B.jpeg

D7178886-573B-4284-A43B-1CD9FCD6AD81.jpeg

0C77B645-F0A5-41C8-AF78-360545CB1CAA.jpeg

0EEEA6DE-6F0E-4A6D-92D3-218AA597BBAF.jpeg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Impossible to guess because there is always unseen damage.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
I mean that’s always true, it’s going to a shop tomorrow, the front from behind the headlights to the bumper is going to be replacement parts Is my bet, then the rear stuff.

you say rear frame bent in? There is usually an impact bar behind the rear bumper cover to absorb an impact, one at 25 mph shouldn’t bend the frame

cb1111

Crap - doesn't look all that horrible, but yes, radiator support is gone, bumpers, hood, a bit of frame work.

Don't forget the diminished value claim

Make sure that the body shop uses all OE fasteners and they may need to replace some of those stickers (oddly enough, you need to order those stickers from Germany with the VIN and proof of ownership. Ask the local Porsche club for body shop recommendations.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
25mph certainly can cause frame damage. Bumpers are required to be rated at a 2.5 mph impact at center and 1.5 mph on corners.

Here is the evaluation if you're interested.

I’ve never seen how the GTI’s are constructed but my last Ford Focus I was rear ended twice, once at like 40 mph, second time at like 30. I had to replace the bumper cover, impact bar which was bent in both times and the hatch. Never got frame damage, impact bars are designed to take a good blow from behind and absorb the energy

but yea, should make sure they use OEM parts and get diminished value. Although, most people have cheap insurance and will fight you against using OEM parts as well as diminished value. They will say they are only obligated to fix the damage, not use OEM parts. They will only give diminished value if the frame is bent as well.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I had extremely similar damage/situation in my 2017. Whatever you do find a great shop, do not go with one of these chain places that your insurance company will want to send you to like caliber collision.

In all I think all of mine was somewhere in the neighborhood of $6800.

Make sure they put it all back together right. Fine tooth it. I had major issues with body panel and bumper and headlight alignment and also small details where things just were not clipped in all the way or a bear paint was left exposed because the body panels were not put back correctly. Overall terrible time at work should have been to very reputable shops.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
This is a buddies car, not mine, but since I had mine in the driveway we were comparing obvious bent stuff and gaps. I believe it's going to the shop for an estimate tomorrow. It's one we e both ended up using in the past. They are one of the few Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, MB and BMW certified places in our area. Very good work.

cb1111

This is a buddies car, not mine, but since I had mine in the driveway we were comparing obvious bent stuff and gaps. I believe it's going to the shop for an estimate tomorrow. It's one we e both ended up using in the past. They are one of the few Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, MB and BMW certified places in our area. Very good work.
Good. Diminished value is ALWAYS applicable - frame damage or not. He'll need to get an independent appraiser to determine the pre/post accident value and the amount of diminished value. If your state authorizes diminished value (Ohio does), then the insurance company is obligated to pay the determined amount.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Good. Diminished value is ALWAYS applicable - frame damage or not. He'll need to get an independent appraiser to determine the pre/post accident value and the amount of diminished value. If your state authorizes diminished value (Ohio does), then the insurance company is obligated to pay the determined amount.

It’s not always black and white like you think. in those two accidents I was successful in getting diminished value out of the first one. The second time they had like Geico or some insurance that gives cheap rates. They denied diminished value and said I needed to have frame damage. I used an independent appraiser both times and had reports sent over. My only option was to take it to court, not worth my time. Point is, sometimes you have to fight

cb1111

It’s not always black and white like you think. in those two accidents I was successful in getting diminished value out of the first one. The second time they had like Geico or some insurance that gives cheap rates. They denied diminished value and said I needed to have frame damage. I used an independent appraiser both times and had reports sent over. My only option was to take it to court, not worth my time. Point is, sometimes you have to fight
Sorry, but diminished value is not determined by the insurance company.

The insurance company figured you would fold - and you did. A nice note from a lawyer would have gotten you the diminished value, the appraisal and lawyer's fees

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Good. Diminished value is ALWAYS applicable - frame damage or not.

Except when you get screwed and the person who hit you had minimum coverage and you get $6000 to work with for your repair from their shitty insurance.

Edit: Read your link about it not being an insurance thing. Thought it was. Both my insurance and his Insurance told me there was nothing to do since it was just minimum coverage from the person who hit me. So they were both dishonest with me. I’m still within the three years CA law says you have to file a suit but I’d have to lawyer up I guess.

Last edited:

cb1111

Except when you get screwed and the person who hit you had minimum coverage and you get $6000 to work with for your repair from their shitty insurance.

Edit: Read your link about it not being an insurance thing. Thought it was. Both my insurance and his Insurance told me there was nothing to do since it was just minimum coverage from the person who hit me. So they were both dishonest with me. I’m still within the three years CA law says you have to file a suit but I’d have to lawyer up I guess.
I have no connection with these guys but it can't hurt to call somebody like them that does this all day long.