GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anti dazzle mirror

James75

Go Kart Champion
I've been trying to locate an "anti-dazzle" or "auto dimming" rear view mirror (OEM) on ebay.de or aliexpress. What I've found is that there are two types of mirrors it seems like.

One where the attachment comes in from the top:

And one where it comes in from the back:
Link to pictures

On the ones where the attachment (the ball) is from the top, there is an additional overhead console piece, it seems like:

Can anyone help us US-folk out and take a picture of your anti-dazzle mirror and how it is attached to the windshield?

I'm trying to figure out how to retrofit a unit from overseas, but not sure which part numbers to buy. The US Autobahn spec has the rain-sensor above the mirror, and the ball attaches to the BACK of the rear-view mirror.

Thanks much!

The top version is for a car without lane assist - the bottom version is for a car with lane assist.

If you have Lane Assist fitted the camera is under that cover (so to speak).

James

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I've been trying to locate an "anti-dazzle" or "auto dimming" rear view mirror (OEM) on ebay.de or aliexpress. What I've found is that there are two types of mirrors it seems like.

Can anyone help us US-folk out and take a picture of your anti-dazzle mirror and how it is attached to the windshield?

I'm trying to figure out how to retrofit a unit from overseas, but not sure which part numbers to buy. The US Autobahn spec has the rain-sensor above the mirror, and the ball attaches to the BACK of the rear-view mirror.

Thanks much!

sfm5: Always happy to help -out someone from the US! Check your PM, I sent you a pic of the anti-dazzle mirror in my car. It looks a little like the pic with the switches on the bottom of the mirror, but the mounting looks a little different on my car.

The pic I sent is for a anti-dazzle mirror without a RLS/RLHS/RLFS (all these are rain-light sensors that are used in a mk7). Not sure if you have any of these, but the Rain sensor sits on the back of the mirror against the windshield

pjr

Ready to race!
pjr, the antidazzle mirror works by comparing the light levels on the front sensor (on the windshield side) with the rear sensor (pointing to the back of the car). If you cover the front sensor (with tape, or a band of Velcro wrapped around the mirror body), the mirror should dim all the time! May help during the day.

Thanks - I might try that. Putting tape over the front facing light sensor would make the car think it was always dark, so that would make the auto dimming work more often, and then by using the switch on the bottom of the mirror I could turn the dimming off if it got too dark.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I'll jump in with an alternate view - I don't like the anti-dazzle mirror at all and it has remained firmly in the <off> position since the car was new, 20 months ago. My eyesight is very good though I sometimes need glases for distance, but to me the mirror just turns everything completely black at night, and when a car is behind, so nothing can be seen at all. If the <off> 'function' were not available then a spare mirror glass would have been taped over the VW OEM mirror, I just don't like it....

Last edited:

David Lewis

Ready to race!
I have a 1.6 match and the mirror works just as you would expect. I've never turned it off but if you don't like the way it functions you can turn it off, best of both worlds as far as I can see.