GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

All New Pricing on all APR ECU/TCU Upgrades!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
There’s 4 apr dealers near me. They each charge 150-200 a flash except one.
That's ridiculous for something that could be done with a cable and a laptop in my garage (and yes I already have a battery charger), and that's with 4 dealers competing. So if I live in a state where there are only 2, and they're 200 miles from each other, I'm probably going to get banged on the labor charge. Even if an AP and EQT OTS tunes are more expensive with the November sale, I'd spend a little extra just on principle, never mind recouping some of it by selling the AP when I get a new car.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I call them.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
That's ridiculous for something that could be done with a cable and a laptop in my garage (and yes I already have a battery charger), and that's with 4 dealers competing. So if I live in a state where there are only 2, and they're 200 miles from each other, I'm probably going to get banged on the labor charge. Even if an AP and EQT OTS tunes are more expensive with the November sale, I'd spend a little extra just on principle, never mind recouping some of it by selling the AP when I get a new car.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I call them.
Not gonna say you’re right or wrong. I will say that I do understand.

for me it was a no brainer. No labor charge. And I got 100$ off since I was an army vet. And the shop was 15 minutes away.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Not gonna say you’re right or wrong. I will say that I do understand.
I mean I understand how commerce works; and I was born into (and have worked in) the automotive service industry (my dad used to be a technician and has been a service manager for many years), so I get that no one should be expected to work without compensation. But having said that, I would rather have the ability to do something myself, especially in the current pandemic situation we're in. Never mind the fact that it's 2020 and almost everything a person could need or want can be delivered to your home in a reasonable time frame, including every other VW tune on the market. (Unitronic's $150 single-use cable isn't the ideal solution but it's at least slightly more convenient.) It's also worth noting that many other companies have sold their products at fixed prices for decades now (original NES comes to mind), so it's not as though it's impossible for a company to have set prices for their dealers and advertise a universal price to their customers, which includes a flat service fee that the dealers can keep.
SEA (Steve's European Auto) used to be $50 or $75 for the flash fee...I forget exactly.
(it's been a few years since I've had it done)
Well, I shall call them and find out what they're currently charging. My decision will not be based solely on price, as it's likely to be down to a small sum of money with this new APR pricing strategy. It's more the principle of the thing, since the only repair work I've paid for (and not done myself) in the last decade was either a recall, warranty repair, or something that I didn't have the tools/facilities to complete at the time. (If you buy a car that's a decade old and it needs rear struts, assume ahead of time that you'll need an oxy-acetylene torch to DIY.)

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
On the 93 their graph depicts 358whp with the High Torque / 354whp with the Low Torque.
1604065425741.png

1604065491659.png

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
SEA (Steve's European Auto) used to be $50 or $75 for the flash fee...I forget exactly.
(it's been a few years since I've had it done)

They're up to $120 now, as is the shop in Toledo. Basically 1hr labor to perform a task that anyone with a laptop and an internet connection could do themselves. It's not great, but it's not terrible either.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I mean I understand how commerce works; and I was born into (and have worked in) the automotive service industry (my dad used to be a technician and has been a service manager for many years), so I get that no one should be expected to work without compensation. But having said that, I would rather have the ability to do something myself, especially in the current pandemic situation we're in. Never mind the fact that it's 2020 and almost everything a person could need or want can be delivered to your home in a reasonable time frame, including every other VW tune on the market. (Unitronic's $150 single-use cable isn't the ideal solution but it's at least slightly more convenient.) It's also worth noting that many other companies have sold their products at fixed prices for decades now (original NES comes to mind), so it's not as though it's impossible for a company to have set prices for their dealers and advertise a universal price to their customers, which includes a flat service fee that the dealers can keep.

Well, I shall call them and find out what they're currently charging. My decision will not be based solely on price, as it's likely to be down to a small sum of money with this new APR pricing strategy. It's more the principle of the thing, since the only repair work I've paid for (and not done myself) in the last decade was either a recall, warranty repair, or something that I didn't have the tools/facilities to complete at the time. (If you buy a car that's a decade old and it needs rear struts, assume ahead of time that you'll need an oxy-acetylene torch to DIY.)

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
Oh I get where you’re coming from. Doing it yourself is super convenient. Plus the cable pays for itself after the first flash if u think about it

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
They're up to $120 now, as is the shop in Toledo. Basically 1hr labor to perform a task that anyone with a laptop and an internet connection could do themselves. It's not great, but it's not terrible either.
Wow...it used to be free/included back on my first GTI in 2009.

Then they started charging like a $50 fee when they went exclusively to port flashing, but $120 now...damn.
They had to physically pull & bench flash my '13 Tiguan and it wasn't even that much, lol.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Wow...it used to be free/included back on my first GTI in 2009.

Then they started charging like a $50 fee when they went exclusively to port flashing, but $120 now...damn.
They had to physically pull & bench flash my '13 Tiguan and it wasn't even that much, lol.
Inflation, I guess.

loopless

Passed Driver's Ed
I have APR+ with TCU tune and my only wish is that APR+ for a DSG should be the hi torque tune. I realize that the “+” tune for the stick needs to be lo-torque to save the clutch, but those worries should not be present with the DSG especially if you take the TCU tune.