GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AKD MK7 Euro Taillights

ahoss

Car(s)
7R 6MT
Original Steps

Screenshot 2022-05-12 132035.png

For those who are unaware the AKD taillights are easy to install and extremely cost efficient. While following the instructions in original thread, I ended up doing the following:
  1. Connected driver outer and inner taillights with included harness
  2. Connected passenger outer and inner taillights with included harness
  3. Removed pin 4 from driver outer taillight and taped
  4. Left pin 4 from passenger outer taillight in place
  5. Repined pin 4 to pin 3 on driver inner taillight
  6. Pined repair wire from pin 4 driver inner taillight to RVC/passenger inner taillight pin 4
The issue that has arose:
  1. Taillights work flawlessly after programming through OBD
  2. Rear view camera no longer works (throws fault code as well)
  3. Trunk latch no longer locks nor unlocks (through key fob or buttons)
The attempted steps to fix:
  1. I removed the spliced wire from the RVC/passenger inner pin 4
  2. Taillights still work perfectly
  3. RVC/Trunk do not work
Going to dealership in two weeks but would prefer to fix without being charged a million dollars. Camera and trunk worked before wire was spliced. Would I simply need a new harness or cut and repair RVC wire pictured before splice point?

@ZERO815 @Cssoz @Nissanskylinen1 @ due to original thread posters and logically most helpful.

EDIT: Fuse #18 seems to be a good place to start. Will update tomorrow.

EDIT 2: Fuse #18 blew. Replaced and undid splice. Everything work.

Last edited:

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Camera and release button in rear lid handle are connected to the Black/Blue wire in your picture. The correct Pin number is 5, not 4 btw. Most likely you accidentially cut too deep and there is not enough connection for RVC and lid handle. Try to get some "Heat Shrink Self-Solder Butt Splice Connectors" and repair the broken wire.
GL

ahoss

Car(s)
7R 6MT
Camera and release button in rear lid handle are connected to the Black/Blue wire in your picture. The correct Pin number is 5, not 4 btw. Most likely you accidentially cut too deep and there is not enough connection for RVC and lid handle. Try to get some "Heat Shrink Self-Solder Butt Splice Connectors" and repair the broken wire.
GL
Ended up being a fuse. I just undid the splice, replaced the fuse and everything works fine. I just don’t have inner brake lights which I don’t care about.

Last edited: