GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket Turbo Options

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
Last edited:

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
Does anyone know if the CTS BB-550 requires fueling mods? Injectors, LPFP, HPFP, fuel pump etc. I am looking to upgrade but dont want to have to spend 2k in supporting mods. Littco's seem to be drop in ready with only a tune required ? That is essentially Unitronic's Stage 2+ for me, since I already have the stage 2. They tell me I need the 2+ ($800) tune to run that turbo.

Possibly not needed but if you want to get the full potential of the turbo than it would be a good idea to upgrade fueling.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Thanks guys, time to hit up Walbro and find some injectors.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Does anyone know if the CTS BB-550 requires fueling mods? Injectors, LPFP, HPFP, fuel pump etc. I am looking to upgrade but dont want to have to spend 2k in supporting mods. Littco's seem to be drop in ready with only a tune required ? That is essentially Unitronic's Stage 2+ for me, since I already have the stage 2. They tell me I need the 2+ ($800) tune to run that turbo.

If you want to get the most out of that turbo, then yes, you will need to go with a LPFP and HPFP upgrade, a Torqbyte PM4, and definitely an upgraded IC. If you decide to install a MPI kit, then skip the HPFP upgrade.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
given CTS has the worst customer service of any company in the world I'd hate to buy something as complex as a turbo from them, even if it was their fault they would never take it back or help you in anyway. at the very least I'd wait for it to be out for 1-2 years and let other people de-bug it for you

I haven't seen a ton of data but the few random tests I remember seeing on Supras back in the day only showed DBB turbos to have the barely even measurable spool increase, which surprised me as I'd think dual ball bearings would spool much faster but in practice I have yet to see a comparison that showed any real improvement

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
given CTS has the worst customer service of any company in the world I'd hate to buy something as complex as a turbo from them, even if it was their fault they would never take it back or help you in anyway. at the very least I'd wait for it to be out for 1-2 years and let other people de-bug it for you

I haven't seen a ton of data but the few random tests I remember seeing on Supras back in the day only showed DBB turbos to have the barely even measurable spool increase, which surprised me as I'd think dual ball bearings would spool much faster but in practice I have yet to see a comparison that showed any real improvement

Well then looks like I will be sticking with my original plan which was the EQT vortex XL.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
If you want to get the most out of that turbo, then yes, you will need to go with a LPFP and HPFP upgrade, a Torqbyte PM4, and definitely an upgraded IC. If you decide to install a MPI kit, then skip the HPFP upgrade.

Thanks for the input.

Would you mind pm'ing any info you have on the pm4 install? Also what kind of numbers are you making now ?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1

I'm not an expert on turbos, but from my power plant engineering days, this makes sense. The difference in friction between journal and ball bearings is not that big, especially on a small turbine. It's more a reliability thing; ball bearings are a lot less touchy than journal bearings and when they start to fail, they do so progressively rather than catastrophically. Even a momentary reduction in oil pressure in a journal bearing can cause a wiped babbit and it'll go downhill quickly and shake itself apart after that.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Found this the other day, genuine gen 2 GTX3071r reverse rotation in aftermarket IS38 housings. Would have been nice if they spent a little extra on a larger inlet/outlet antisurge compressor housing but I guess these are chinese castings.

https://www.turbo-total.com/500-ps-upgrade-turbolader-fuer-volkswagen-golf-vii-2.0-r

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Only seen one post about the rx500 and rx600 which are are DBB.

Anyone know anything about these?