GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
It shouldn't have taken 90 minutes. A good drill bit in a drill will do it just as quickly as a drill press. A press with the drill bits we were using would probably have taken just as long. The press just lets you exert less effort.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Did you guys use a corded hammer drill? Battery powered drills aren't cut out for that.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Did you guys use a corded hammer drill? Battery powered drills aren't cut out for that.
That would be the tool for the job, we didn't have one. We considered using the impact but we decided the likelihood of breaking the bit was high.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
hammer drill for metal? That will dull the bit within the first 10 impacts. Metal bits are design to shave the steel, not cut it in chunks. If your not getting spirals while drilling, either your going to fast, or pushing too hard.

Any drill with a decent HSS bit would eat through that bar in less than a minute. I used to install the doors on the link below. We had to drill overhead two parallel holes either 3/8" or 1/2" every 24" or 36" through 1/2" thick structural steel I beams. Took around 1-2 min per hole unassisted, and 30 sec with a custom lever system that the company created.

https://www.modernfold.com/en-US/products/operable-partitions

There is no way a 1/8" crash bar is going to take that long... unless the bit is dull or the drill has no power. The awkward position will definitely make it hard... but still.

I guess I'll find out when I get to install my FMIC

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
hammer drill for metal? That will dull the bit within the first 10 impacts. Metal bits are design to shave the steel, not cut it in chunks. If your not getting spirals while drilling, either your going to fast, or pushing too hard.

Any drill with a decent HSS bit would eat through that bar in less than a minute. I used to install the doors on the link below. We had to drill overhead two parallel holes either 3/8" or 1/2" every 24" or 36" through 1/2" thick structural steel I beams. Took around 1-2 min per hole unassisted, and 30 sec with a custom lever system that the company created.

There is no way a 1/8" crash bar is going to take that long... unless the bit is dull or the drill has no power. The awkward position will definitely make it hard... but still.

Good to know - thanks.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Better drill bits would definitely help. I mean, this is the starting set:

1657557815062.png

An $8 set of drill bits. Not sure about the ones my neighbor Jerry brought over, but they were definitely better than my $8 ones...

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI

If the bit is not designed to drill metal it will not work without extra effort.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
do all FMICs require drilling the crash bar? i wanna get the ARM one and thought one of the main benefits was not having to do as much work lol. i'll fly y'all out here if i need help though

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If the bit is not designed to drill metal it will not work without extra effort.

1657558431643.png

But again, expectations have to be kept in check for $8 :ROFLMAO: