GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

a question on track width

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
If I increase rear track width by adding spacers only to the rear wheels, does that effect handling at all? Does it add understeer? If I get 12.5mm spacers, that's about a full inch of rear track width.
Just going for looks. Daily driver. No track days. They are 18x8.5 wheels and look a bit tucked in the rear.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I would suggest you not do that if you do any spirited driving even. It will add understeer to a car that already wants to understeer.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If I increase rear track width by adding spacers only to the rear wheels, does that effect handling at all? Does it add understeer? If I get 12.5mm spacers, that's about a full inch of rear track width.
Just going for looks. Daily driver. No track days. They are 18x8.5 wheels and look a bit tucked in the rear.

Just get a rear sway bar and you'll eliminate the understeer.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
That would just make it normal again I suppose. I'd rather have a little more oversteer in a FWD based platform. Trying to use sway bars to correct that would seem a little foolish. Just use the right track width

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That would just make it normal again I suppose. I'd rather have a little more oversteer in a FWD based platform. Trying to use sway bars to correct that would seem a little foolish. Just use the right track width

You're not going to correct the understeer with track width. A rear sway bar is a mod most people get to correct the understeer so you don't get embarrased on a curve. When I first got my GTI the Veloster Turbo I had would corner much faster because of less understeer.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
does it add understeer? I say yes. By adding track width to the rear, you are reducing rear weight transfer all else equal.

fwiw, at one point I ran 20mm front, none in back, and it seemed to help the front stick better at autocross. Looked total dork though :)

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
You're not going to correct the understeer with track width. A rear sway bar is a mod most people get to correct the understeer so you don't get embarrased on a curve. When I first got my GTI the Veloster Turbo I had would corner much faster because of less understeer.
I get that a rear sway bar will correct understeer as I have one myself, I worded that wrong. Wider wheels and spacers in the rear will 100 percent create understeer. I'm saying to not go with wider wheels and spacers in the rear and then rely on a sway bar to negate that understeer.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I get that a rear sway bar will correct understeer as I have one myself, I worded that wrong. Wider wheels and spacers in the rear will 100 percent create understeer. I'm saying to not go with wider wheels and spacers in the rear and then rely on a sway bar to negate that understeer.

I don't have wider wheels but I do have 15mm spacers in the rear and a RSB and mine still doesn't understeer.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Just get a rear sway bar and you'll eliminate the understeer.

I have one. Just waiting to install it when doing a spring swap.

What is the "right" track width?

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
when I added my ECS flush kit with 17.5mm rear spacers I immediately noticed the suspenion feels softer. My guess is that pushing the wheels out extends the "lever" lenght of the suspension arm relative to the springs/shocks and effectively makes them softer relative to the wheel. It wasn't a huge change but for sure the car felt a touch softer, maybe like 5-10% softer. I had my 034 rear sway bar on the normal setting before, and after doing the spacers I'm going to move it to "full stiff" to try and regain some of that suspension stiffness. I'm on stock springs and shocks.

It's not a big difference from the spacers alone though and I'd bet a lot of people don't even notice the difference.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I have one. Just waiting to install it when doing a spring swap.

What is the "right" track width?
Basic vehicle dynamics: the wider the track, the lower the amount of weight transfer. This means more grip. If you only widen at one end, then that end will gain traction and the other will not which changes the handling balance. If you make the front track width wider, it will also make the suspension softer because it makes the weight extended farther outward and applying more leverage to your front springs which will also reduce understeer. I personally run wider in the front.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
when I added my ECS flush kit with 17.5mm rear spacers I immediately noticed the suspenion feels softer. My guess is that pushing the wheels out extends the "lever" lenght of the suspension arm relative to the springs/shocks and effectively makes them softer relative to the wheel. It wasn't a huge change but for sure the car felt a touch softer, maybe like 5-10% softer. I had my 034 rear sway bar on the normal setting before, and after doing the spacers I'm going to move it to "full stiff" to try and regain some of that suspension stiffness. I'm on stock springs and shocks.

It's not a big difference from the spacers alone though and I'd bet a lot of people don't even notice the difference.
Bingo, for a given springrate you'd be lowering the wheelrate as you push the tire out further. This is even worse on the rear than the front because of how far the spring sits inboard relative to the wheel.