GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A Day that will live in Infamy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
1. It was the 1940s so unfortunately there wasn't anyone like you around to teach people right from wrong.

2. Japan attacked us.

3. We had reason to suspect they had spies/saboteurs/agents here (Japanese spies posed as tourists for target selection at Pearl Harbor).

4. There was a small conflict happening in a few scattered nations that required immediate attention and a quick resolution.

And yet not a single Japanese-American committed any espionage or sabotage whatsoever, and Japanese-Americans who fought abroad were some of the most decorated of them all.

Google the 442nd Infantry Regiment for more info.

And it's not just America that is guilty. The Australians AND the Canadians were just as guilty in rounding up people of Japanese descent and sending them to their own internment camps.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
And yet not a single Japanese-American committed any espionage or sabotage whatsoever, and Japanese-Americans who fought abroad were some of the most decorated of them all.

Google the 442nd Infantry Regiment for more info.

And it's not just America that is guilty. The Australians AND the Canadians were just as guilty in rounding up people of Japanese descent and sending them to their own internment camps.

Boy, if only we could go back in time and tell people stuff. One of these days people will say, "How could they drive petroleum based cars around?"

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Boy, if only we could go back in time and tell people stuff. One of these days people will say, "How could they drive petroleum based cars around?"

haha right

but even today there are still people who think internment is justified. The ironic supporter of it comes from an Asian-American conservative pundit by the name of Michelle Malkin.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
So given that law enforcement worked very differently back then and due to public paranoia (especially on the West coast where the risk of reprisals were high) what would you have done? Assure the American public that the large, visible population of Japanese in America were of zero threat in the midst of a surprise attack?

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
So given that law enforcement worked very differently back then and due to public paranoia (especially on the West coast where the risk of reprisals were high) what would you have done? Assure the American public that the large, visible population of Japanese in America were of zero threat in the midst of a surprise attack?

Considering that the Japanese who settled in the U.S. were second or in some cases even third generation, how would they be a threat?

Shop owned by a Japanese-American in Oakland in December 1941

Wopasaurus

Ready to race!

Same thing we do now to middle eastern people trying to live in the states...

Have Asian people from every country get dirty looks from rednecks the same way Indian people do now because "muh freedoms!! And turrurism!""

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Considering that the Japanese who settled in the U.S. were second or in some cases even third generation, how would they be a threat?

Shop owned by a Japanese-American in Oakland in December 1941
So you, as a leader at the time, would say, "Americans, we have nothing to fear from anyone of Japanese decent in our country during this time of war. All of these people are second and third generation Americans, I repeat there is nothing to fear from anyone, I stake my political reputation on it."

Interesting.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
So you, as a leader at the time, would say, "Americans, we have nothing to fear from anyone of Japanese decent in our country during this time of war. All of these people are second and third generation Americans, I repeat there is nothing to fear from anyone, I stake my political reputation on it."

Interesting.

It would be pretty damn hypocritical of me to even remotely rationalize that man.

Sorry but as history shows, not a single act of sabotage in this country came from Japanese-Americans. They were the most loyal of all groups yet they were still demonized by many as the enemy.

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
My new wife and I went to Pearl Harbor while in Hawaii for our honeymoon last week. I must say, it was the best war memorial I've ever been to.

Sent from the Beer Depository

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
It would be pretty damn hypocritical of me to even remotely rationalize that man.

Sorry but as history shows, not a single act of sabotage in this country came from Japanese-Americans. They were the most loyal of all groups yet they were still demonized by many as the enemy.

History always benefits from hindsight, I'm glad you're able to point that out. Well it could have been worse, they could have been demonized straight to a gas chamber or firing squad.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
History always benefits from hindsight, I'm glad you're able to point that out. Well it could have been worse, they could have been demonized straight to a gas chamber or firing squad.

Still doesn't make their treatment any better, whether it was in the U.S., Canada or Australia.

Wopasaurus

Ready to race!
Still doesn't make their treatment any better, whether it was in the U.S., Canada or Australia.

Not to justify it... But it wasn't frowned upon to hate complete races of people or ethnic groups for no reason at all...

We still deal with it today... But not on a gov't supported wide scale the way it was then.

Wopasaurus

Ready to race!
Defending internment?

Lulz

I don't think they're so much defending it as they are trying to explain that it wasn't frowned upon to have that racist/xenophobic mindset back then.

Hatred is learned... And the gov't was definitely teaching it

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
I don't think they're so much defending it as they are trying to explain that it wasn't frowned upon to have that racist/xenophobic mindset back then.

Hatred is learned... And the gov't was definitely teaching it

Do work is defending internment.

You're talking about race and prejudices and he's talking about strategic policy during wartime.

Everyone is aware that racism was more acceptable in those days. Doesn't make internment right or any less unconstitutional.

Status
Not open for further replies.