GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$600 for Mods, 3,000 Mile Roadtrip

TooManyCars

If you have passengers (more than 1) I’d recommend first getting a roof rack and a cargo box...the GTI is roomy but loaded with gear can feel a little tight. It’ll be over budget but may not be too much more if you pick up used.

If you got that...tint as others mentioned and or the vw window shades in the back. I plan on taking a trip of similar distance and will pick some up.

Last edited:

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
My vote is ceramic tint all around ($350) + shit that won't cause potential issues on a road trip ($250). Maybe harmless stuff like front strut brace/rear chassis brace (although you won't really feel the difference on the road), rear sway bar, or intake (if you just want the extra noise). For the tint, I'm at 20% all around and enjoy the privacy but would not go lighter than 35% if I was you.

Not enough in the budget for the important big stuff like tires so just throw on something safe. You'll enjoy the car regardless. Have fun!

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
Personal opinion here, I wouldn’t do anything until I get back home, what I mean by it is that once I change something There is always a chance that something was not install correctly, comes loose in the middle of nowhere, I remember a forum member that went on long trip and the ECS delay valve came loose and kind of ruined a bit of his trip , just be careful and test your mods for a few hundred miles before you take off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is so true. There have been very little parts that I've installed that didn't need minor tweaks/adjustments after the initial install. The worst thing is having to delay your trip or having to stop it early due to parts that were just installed.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
...and sound? I am interest to hear how you can elaborate on that. (Future jb4 owner here - pretty sure that's what I'll go with anyways)

I can not speak for JB4 but I will assume this also applies and likely same for tunes. The piggy back modules give the engine more of a grunt sound. More guts. When you remove it you notice it more how quite the stock engine is.
It is addictive and once service is done you want it back on right away.
Others can add thoughts but for me the sound and feel of the engine is increase when using one of these units.

roystr

Ready to race!
Tint + JB4 map 1

or
Tint + NPM

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
Wow, thanks guys, appreciate all the advice

Sorry, just been busy and finally got a chance to reply. Figure ceramic tint and sway bars would be a good start, maybe a drop in filter, some clutch stuff advised in that thread and for the Radar Detector, I'll bring my own

Can't wait, 43 days to go...

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Good tint for sure (I highly recommend 3M Crystalline but it's pricey) and a quality clear bra in the front. Enjoy the car and the trip and worry about anything else when you get back. Start a vlog and give a 3000 mile review of your unmolested GTI. Or, at least just take a few snapshots while you're out there.

sarnbarn

if you just got the car, don't touch the engine. you have more than enough power to play around with. If you want a great mod for a road trip, lower it. Try to get some oem ones like VWR. You'll have the same comfort, with more confidence ( in your right foot) that you can take the next corner. with your left over cash, nothing beats tints for a clean look.

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!