GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

4/10/24 Track Night @ HHR - Stormy attempts a FWD lap record (how will it end?)

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Wth. Highway i get 35mpg at 80, around 30 at 90. Unless I'm running E40, then it's 27.

Now in town is more like 25 & 20 E40
Manual transmission

2900lb car

1.8L

That’s why. 😎

The 6-spd DSGs are a cheat code for Performance, but they take a nasty hit on gas mileage compared to the manual cars.

This has been true all the way back to the days when I worked for Volkswagen of America, and was selling Mk5 GTIs and GLIs to repeat customers. (2006-2008)

Customers who moved to a DSG complained of a 3-5mpg drop in mileage.

At this point, I’m just trying to optimize the total combination I have on the car for performance and utility, as well as mechanical health.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
What was center axle to fender measurement for the 034 S3 springs?
Just now, in the shade in a parking lot. Not perfectly flat ground, but it’s what we got.

This is the non-MR 034 Audi S3 springs. Direct fitment for other MQB cars.

Perhaps the previous owner was a husky fella and liked the larger ladies? 🤷‍♂️ 🤫

Or I drew the short straw.

Someone had to try it, though! 😎 😏

Attachments

• IMG_2486.jpeg
    IMG_2486.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2487.jpeg
    IMG_2487.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Were the S3 springs cut shorter than the stock MK7 springs? Only explanation I can think of
They are designed to lower the S3 0.75” from stock, they’re definitely shorter than stock Mk7 GTI springs.

I Believe they were equal in height (free length) to the H&R OE sport Springs that I removed .

When they come off this week, I will compare them to my stock GTI springs, and also to the Golf R Eibachs.

2018 Golf R Springs should be here Wednesday.

I had no idea what a suspension voyage I was embarking on when I first opened this can of worms. 🐛 👀

Things I try not to think about at night: a $1200-1400 set of ST XA coilovers could’ve save me from this whole ordeal!

…but then what would we have learned? 😆 😎

1713828923384.jpeg

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
This is the look, I was going for, BTW:

1713829077630.jpeg