GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printed Inlet Duct

gti_loki

Ready to race!
From idea to reality! I’ve had this K&N filter laying around forever and one day I decided to see if it would fit in the lower air box. Spent a couple hours in Solidworks and 35 hours of printing later...
89129576-A9A3-4FD2-9564-05AEC8793006.jpeg
1429AF83-BFB1-49E6-AA5D-352BC6FA123F.jpeg
BB7C6C18-9AB0-4339-B676-9E514C3FB795.jpeg

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
that is awesome!

I may have missed it, but what material are you using and how well does it hold up to engine bay temps?

gti_loki

Ready to race!
that is awesome!

I may have missed it, but what material are you using and how well does it hold up to engine bay temps?

This is the fit-check piece. Printed in polymaker PolyMax PLA. The heat deflection temp is too low and this will likely get a little soft and deform with high under hood temps. But I drove around with it last night anyway because I’m a child and have 0 patience when it comes to new toys.

I previously printed an inlet duct in Taulman 910 and it’s holding up perfectly, even in Texas heat + traffic.

The “final” part will be printed in Taulman 910 (maybe HDT version) It’s going to be a 54ish hour print in very expensive material. But it’s for me so...#treatyoself.

ABS would probably work fine as well with the added bonus of being able to use a vapor bath to get a nice smooth finish. Which is starting to sound better to me.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Nicely done. I've thought about something like this for a while, especially since 034 makes their x34 setup in a not so different manner. I was picturing a k&n filter with a custom elbow to cone adapter that would hide under the stock airbox lid. Are you going to close off the filter top somehow, like direct to hood ala the open filters with the edge-guards? Seems like without that seal you're drawing hot-air from the engine bay.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
I’ve also been thinking the same thing as @sprinks. Even a 15-20 degree elbow through a modified upper lid outlet (made into a round opening) to accommodate the elbow (similar to the R600, MST & COBB intake setups) would probably work with the OEM box. No idea what it would flow or sound like, or if there would be any benefit over a drop-in filter with all the usual stock intake mods. But it would look stock and function as a cold air intake.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
This is the fit-check piece. Printed in polymaker PolyMax PLA. The heat deflection temp is too low and this will likely get a little soft and deform with high under hood temps. But I drove around with it last night anyway because I’m a child and have 0 patience when it comes to new toys.

I previously printed an inlet duct in Taulman 910 and it’s holding up perfectly, even in Texas heat + traffic.

The “final” part will be printed in Taulman 910 (maybe HDT version) It’s going to be a 54ish hour print in very expensive material. But it’s for me so...#treatyoself.

ABS would probably work fine as well with the added bonus of being able to use a vapor bath to get a nice smooth finish. Which is starting to sound better to me.

Lol I don't blame you for driving it, I would have done the same.

If you do use ABS and do vapor smoothing make sure all of the acetone off gases from the part before exposing it to heat.

I 3D printed an shift knob out of ABS for my 370z and used vapor smoothing. The heat in the interior caused some acetone that was still in the part to expand and turned it into a bubbly mess.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Lol I don't blame you for driving it, I would have done the same.

If you do use ABS and do vapor smoothing make sure all of the acetone off gases from the part before exposing it to heat.

I 3D printed an shift knob out of ABS for my 370z and used vapor smoothing. The heat in the interior caused some acetone that was still in the part to expand and turned it into a bubbly mess.
That must have been a surprise to come back to.

gti_loki

Ready to race!
Nicely done. I've thought about something like this for a while, especially since 034 makes their x34 setup in a not so different manner. I was picturing a k&n filter with a custom elbow to cone adapter that would hide under the stock airbox lid. Are you going to close off the filter top somehow, like direct to hood ala the open filters with the edge-guards? Seems like without that seal you're drawing hot-air from the engine bay.

I’m considering a closure, but it isn’t practical as a single print. My machine has a 12 x 12 build plate and to make a whole enclosed lid/elbow that fits would be a 60-70 hour print. That’s too much time for nothing to go wrong. I also wanted to make sure everything fit and was angled right. But a lid is probably coming at some point!

I just started the Taulman 910 print version. I’ll see how it holds up to the heat before I pay out for the HDT stuff. ETA: 36 hours.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I'm an engineer and all for the DIY and experimenting but I wonder if you've seen this article/website http://mygolfmk7.com/2019/09/ultimate-mk7-gti-air-intake/

Most of the intake restriction lies in the stock tube and turbo inlet, but there are small gains to be had in the pre-filter elements too.

gti_loki

Ready to race!
I'm an engineer and all for the DIY and experimenting but I wonder if you've seen this article/website http://mygolfmk7.com/2019/09/ultimate-mk7-gti-air-intake/

Most of the intake restriction lies in the stock tube and turbo inlet, but there are small gains to be had in the pre-filter elements too.

Sweet! I’m a 22 year engineering vet and product design engineer/manager.
I am familiar with the research. I’m glad someone is out there putting their tools to work.
Personally, just like the inlet duct, I wanted to make something cool, even if the hp gains aren’t there. Bonus, it sounds outstanding!