GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

39 psi ?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Great link. At the risk of hijacking this thread, I often wonder how many people who do a high-torque Stage 2 tune really comprehend the added stresses that the increased thermal energy in the combustion chambers does to an engine, with regards to compressive strain on the rods and increased thermal loads on the piston, valves, and head. Near 200 HP/Liter was a mark only met by highly tuned race engines (that were rebuilt regularly) not that many years ago. Not that every Stage 2 EA888 engine winds up in the scrap bin, but one ought not at all be surprised when they do.
Which is exactly why I'm doing a conservative stage 2 tune. I was under the impression that stage 2 with the stock Turbski wouldn't be able to kill the engine. Wrong. Push it too far too long and things will eventually pop. Either the turbo or the engine itself :eek:

It's a sobering reminder to play it safe, but still risk the pay to play.

I use 38 on the hankooks on the 18 and 40 with the Bridgestones on the 19. The Bridgestones have softer sidewalls.

I run 31 in my RE71R autocross tires, but that's in a 245/40 17 and only for autocross or track.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Which is exactly why I'm doing a conservative stage 2 tune. I was under the impression that stage 2 with the stock Turbski wouldn't be able to kill the engine. Wrong. Push it too far too long and things will eventually pop. Either the turbo or the engine itself :eek:

Given the history of the Gen3 EA888, going with a "Low" torque 91 octane APR stage 2 tune, with a bigger intercooler, should still be in the relatively "safe" zone, as higher tune engines, without upgraded internals, don't blow up all that often. For me, even the possibility of having to replace my engine block scares the Bejeezus out of me. Though the APR low-torque 91 octane Stage 2 tune puts out just slightly more top-end horsepower than APR's Stage 1 high-torque 93 octane tune, it produces 15 ft/lbs less overall torque--the more critical index of stress on the engine. And Stage 1's don't go hand-grenade hardly at all, unless you're brutal with it. Plus, going with a tune designed for 91 octane gas, you'll run less risk for pre-ignition should you get an off batch of gas.

Last edited:

Cool Hand Luke

Passed Driver's Ed
Well APR took down all my posts and won't let me comment on the original thread about the DQ381. It's like they are trying to cover this up. They literally banned me from making posts or comments. I was talking about my motor blowing up and the possibility of a bad tune without proper fail safe measures and I emailed them and talked to them today and got the run around and was told sorry but you took the risk by getting your car tuned and was also told that I'm the first case they have heard this happening to with a 2018 DSG Golf R. Was also told today by the technician they only have about a handful of issues every 2-3 months........ "only"........... Then he was like that's not a lot because they make thousands of Golf R's every year. He also told me he has a 2018 Golf R and has never had any problems. I find it strange and odd due to the fact he was saying how strong the motor is but yet I mention my blown motor on the Facebook page, have sent them emails, and now I'm shadow banned from making posts, reactions, or comments.......

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Are you that guy who said you drive like Jeff Gordon every day, and you pushed the car to the edge of its limits for like 30,000 miles?

You sound like the kind of guy who enjoys breaking things so you can fix them again. What's the problem?

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Well APR took down all my posts and won't let me comment on the original thread about the DQ381. It's like they are trying to cover this up. They literally banned me from making posts or comments. I was talking about my motor blowing up and the possibility of a bad tune without proper fail safe measures and I emailed them and talked to them today and got the run around and was told sorry but you took the risk by getting your car tuned and was also told that I'm the first case they have heard this happening to with a 2018 DSG Golf R. Was also told today by the technician they only have about a handful of issues every 2-3 months........ "only"........... Then he was like that's not a lot because they make thousands of Golf R's every year. He also told me he has a 2018 Golf R and has never had any problems. I find it strange and odd due to the fact he was saying how strong the motor is but yet I mention my blown motor on the Facebook page, have sent them emails, and now I'm shadow banned from making posts, reactions, or comments.......

OK, I can't figure out what I'm looking at; is this the hole in your block, or since you mentioned the APR transmission tune, is this the DSG housing which also went?

Cool Hand Luke

Passed Driver's Ed

I'm not denying this was my fault due to me driving my car hard, I'm stating the facts that APR is trying to silence me and push me under the table due to the fact my engine blew with all their tuning and modifications. And the APR representative even told me you take all risks and responsibilities of this happening when you tune your car. They don't want motors blowing associated with their company obviously I get that, I'm not dumb. If I had the tune with a warranty the car would have been just fine. Now in regards to my tire pressure being set low it is because tire pressure raises when the rubber gets hot from the friction of race track and drag strip use which is why I lowered it. It was a night and day difference for grip around corners and when I was doing launch control on the strip.

Cool Hand Luke

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you that guy who said you drive like Jeff Gordon every day, and you pushed the car to the edge of its limits for like 30,000 miles?

You sound like the kind of guy who enjoys breaking things so you can fix them again. What's the problem?
The problem is APR lol. I look forward to building the car, don't like being blocked, banned, and hidden and ignored when I've spent thousands with this company and tried finding out if it was blown up from there tune and I offered sending in my ECU and then getting ignored. All I wanted was my DSG ECU tune refund because obviously I can't drive it back to get flashed to stock lol. Jeff Gordon rocks [emoji123]

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
How do the piston domes and ringlands look?

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
With the low profile tires 39 PSI is almost required. I run 39 with no issues.
Otherwise every pothole you hit is a chance for bent or cracked rim.